Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Duracoat flop 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of a long winded story so bear with me-

Made a bonehead move with my Glock 21 unless you say the slide Sustained some significant impact damage at about 45 mph- Front and rear sites were compromised but other than that just a slight blemish on the frying pan finish

Speak with an FFL in Snohomish that I have used for four or five transfers About replacing the sides and if they knew anyone well versed in duracoat/cerakote. He claimed that he did it so I said what the hell I’ll give them a shot-

First red flag was the price- $45 for the coating And H3 sight installation

Second red flag was when I received a message that the Duracoat slide was complete and ready to be picked up three days after I dropped it off,

I’m the kind of guy who knows a little bit about a lot of things and From the research I’ve done duracoat Can take up to 30 days for a full cure in some Instances.

Well I picked up my slide, paid the $45 and knew what I was getting back before I saw it. I haven’t seen any other coating portfolio work from this particular FFL/Smith but I don’t My slide would be part of their showcase- You can still see the original finish to the extremely light coat, There is a marine spot on the top of the slide which I assume is from the sight installation tool, And I suppose I should’ve clean the weapon prior to bringing it in, my reasoning for not doing so- I assume the slide would be prepped properly and I did not know which solvents we’re not duracoat friendly... I never thought that the Smith would just spray durakote over the dirt and grime inside the slide rail’s

Out of respect for the Smith In the community I will not drop their name here- If you plan on having coatings done by Smith in the Snohomish area please PM me privately and I will share more of my testimonial and experience.

This slide will be going to Dana with black hammer arms for repair... high cost of a low price

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One $5 can of spray paint...
$40 profit.
:popcorn:

(sorry)

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:15 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eek . . . yeah, that doesn't look so good. icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah that’s absolutely terrible. Sorry for the troubles man, but at least it was an inexpensive mistake.
And, you’re doing the right thing by sending it to the cerakote king of tacoma lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drop it off at Dana’s and grab a Burger at Burger Broiler....

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
One $5 can of spray paint...
$40 profit.
:popcorn:

(sorry)

Yeah that definitely crossed my mind just so I don’t feel like an asshole carrying it in the interim lol

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NMcDonald88 wrote:
Kind of a long winded story so bear with me-

Made a bonehead move with my Glock 21 unless you say the slide Sustained some significant impact damage at about 45 mph- Front and rear sites were compromised but other than that just a slight blemish on the frying pan finish

Speak with an FFL in Snohomish that I have used for four or five transfers About replacing the sides and if they knew anyone well versed in duracoat/cerakote. He claimed that he did it so I said what the hell I’ll give them a shot-

First red flag was the price- $45 for the coating And H3 sight installation

Second red flag was when I received a message that the Duracoat slide was complete and ready to be picked up three days after I dropped it off,

I’m the kind of guy who knows a little bit about a lot of things and From the research I’ve done duracoat Can take up to 30 days for a full cure in some Instances.

Well I picked up my slide, paid the $45 and knew what I was getting back before I saw it. I haven’t seen any other coating portfolio work from this particular FFL/Smith but I don’t My slide would be part of their showcase- You can still see the original finish to the extremely light coat, There is a marine spot on the top of the slide which I assume is from the sight installation tool, And I suppose I should’ve clean the weapon prior to bringing it in, my reasoning for not doing so- I assume the slide would be prepped properly and I did not know which solvents we’re not duracoat friendly... I never thought that the Smith would just spray durakote over the dirt and grime inside the slide rail’s

Out of respect for the Smith In the community I will not drop their name here- If you plan on having coatings done by Smith in the Snohomish area please PM me privately and I will share more of my testimonial and experience.

This slide will be going to Dana with black hammer arms for repair... high cost of a low price

Man, character is hard to hide. Sorry it was a sub par finish.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the looks of that, I doubt he even blasted the slide. The frying pan finish is one of the most sought after finishes on a Glock. I'd just soak that slide in some acetone, or spray it with brake cleaner, brush off the paint, and call it good. :bigsmile:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not enough prep, not enough coats. It'll never be as hard as Cerakote but it's easy to work with.

This is my Mossberg I did in CADPAT Light Green Duracoat a few years back.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fawkin A, that is very green!

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:

Man, character is hard to hide. Sorry it was a sub par finish.

Elaborate please-

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was meaning that when something happens and you want to get it fixed better than it was, it's hard to hid the character (battle scars) cheaply. I've been in the same boat and wound up sending it to a real pro to get it right.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Fawkin A, that is very green!

On some monitors it's almost a zombie thing, but in reality it's more olive/bazooka green color. But yes, very green.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Was meaning that when something happens and you want to get it fixed better than it was, it's hard to hid the character (battle scars) cheaply. I've been in the same boat and wound up sending it to a real pro to get it right.

Oh I gotcha I thought maybe you were the smith that performed the work and was calling out my character LMAO

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NMcDonald88 wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Oh I gotcha I thought maybe you were the smith that performed the work and was calling out my character LMAO

Lol Nothing of the sort, just been there done that. :bigsmile:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]