Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 876 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 TINCANBANDIT's Blog 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My buddy brought his Sig P226 to me for some refinishing, the slide had some rust spots on top and the barrel has some pitting and wear, in addition the barrel & hammer were that funky plum color. I plan on re-bluing the barrel & hammer using the lye & sodium nitrate formula and re-parkerize the slide using phosphoric acid & manganese powder

Here is what it looked like before I started
ImageImage

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I reblued the barrel & hammer and they turned out a plum color (just like the factory finish) it has something to do with the alloy(s) in the steel.
I tried a manganese parkerizing on the slide, but it didn't turn out so good, so I sand blasted it and blued it in my hot blue tank, came out pretty good

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks great!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Founding Father
Founding Father

Looks way better than before. That's for damn sure.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember having an old Winchester blued that the barrel came out with a reddish tint to it. The Gunsmith said it was because of the high nickel content in the barrel steel. He said the factory had some special recipe that they wouldn't share that prevented the factory bluing from coming out with the tint.

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:46 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

foothills wrote:
I remember having an old Winchester blued that the barrel came out with a reddish tint to it. The Gunsmith said it was because of the high nickel content in the barrel steel. He said the factory had some special recipe that they wouldn't share that prevented the factory bluing from coming out with the tint.

but that was in the olden days :lol:

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Nice work!

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

some other projects

this rifle (1895 Marlin Cowboy) had severe pitting caused by being put back in styrafoam packaging, the worst thing you can do is leave a gun up against styrafoam....

Here are the before pics
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

here is pics of the process, I used a file to remove the metal and bring the surface back to a flat, smooth surfaceImageImageImageImage

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here it is after polishing and bluing

ImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

before and after comparisonImageImageImage

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an ugly duckling Norinco 1911 that I prettied up, these are the before pics
ImageImage

here it is after polishing

....and after bluing
ImageImageImage

a before & after comparison

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New Projects!

Here is a Ruger Mark I that needs a new finish, I will give this gun a high polish (remove the machine tool & welding marks)
ImageImageImage

after the polishing, I might spend some more time working the finish, looks pretty good now though:Image

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my Super Blackhawk 10.5", it had some pits on the top strap and the grip frame, I will attempt to duplicate the high polish of the early SBH's and the 50th Anniversary models

Here is what it looks like now

This is what I want it to look like:

Attachment:
hg_rugersuperblack_200911-b.jpg

here it is disassembled (being degreased)Image

This is the first pass under the wire brush, before sanding and polishing:

after the 1st round of polishing:Image

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another project, this is a Steyr 1912 9mm, it was pitted in the most inconvient places....took a lot of work to get the metal smooth without rounding edges and destroying roll marks

Here it is before:

and after sanding and polishing:

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 876 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next