Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Family Firearms Passed Down 

I visited my folks down in Nevada this summer, and my dad gave me a couple of firearms that have been in the family for quite awhile. Here's a quick description of each one:

1. Colt 1851 Navy Percussion Revolver: Later model, based on the serial number it was manufactured 1866-1867. All serial numbers are matching and all markings look to be original and legitimate. The gun is in rough shape and needs some restoration, but I've always heard that restoring an antique firearm runs the risk of ruining the value. With that said, my plan for this little jewel is to have it appraised, then probably display it in a nice case.

Markings
Top Barrel Flat: ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA
Left Front Side of Frame: Colts Patent
Left Side Trigger Guard: .36 Cal
Cylinder: Colts Patent No XXXX (last 4 of serial number)
Barrel, Frame, and Trigger Guard: Serial Number
Butt Strap Stamping: Serial Number

There are more markings that aren't visible without some field stripping, but I'll wait on those.

2. J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company Single Shot .22 Long Rifle: Also known as the "Old Stevens Favorite", but still researching. I did find out my grandfather traded a set of spurs for this when he was 12, in 1938. It does need a new extractor, every now and then my grandfather and dad had to use a pocket knife to pull the spent casing out. Best guess for manufacturing date, based on barrel markings is 1894-1920.

Markings
Top Right Barrel: J. Stevens A & T Co., Chicopee Falls Mass USA PAT. APR 17 94
Top Left Barrel: 22 Long Rifle
Bottom Stock Support: Serial Number

3. J. Stevens Arms Company Single Shot Break-Open 410 Shotgun: Best guess for manufacturing date, based on receiver markings is 1920-1940s. Still researching.

Markings
Top Left Barrel: Selected Forged Steel
Left Side Receiver: Stevens, The Fully Guaranteed Single Gun
Right Side Receiver: Circled 21, J. Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls Mass USA, Made in USA

Here's a pic of all three together. Top to bottom: 410, .22LR, 1851 Colt

The 410 and .22 are going to be my winter restoration projects. I'm still doing some research, primarily on the 410 because I can't find any markings that says what model it is, but there's a local gunsmith I use as my FFL transfer that I'll take it to. My goal is to tastefully display the 1851 Colt, and get both the 410 and .22 cleaned up and in working order so I can pass them on and keep them in the family.

The pictures don't show it all that well, but there is some pitting and surface rust on both the 410 and .22, so I see lots of filing, sanding, and buffing in my future. For the stocks, a buddy of mine has suggested boiling to soften and swell the wood. Then use liberal amounts of Teak Oil to help bring out the wood grain and seal it. I'm also going to use that same buddy of mine to blue both of them. He's got the setup and equipment to do already, not to mention his hot bluing is spot on. The bluing he did on his Winchester model 94 looks like it was done at the factory. He's working on perfecting the technique for rust bluing. If he can, I'll get these rust blued. If not, I'll go with the hot bluing. Winter in Southwest Washington isn't looking so bleak now.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Vince
United States Marine Corps '94-'00
NRA Member

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vince, those are just AWESOME!! thumbsup

I think it would be fantastic to get all three of them to a condition where they can be fired, so you can take them out occasionally and enjoy them. The revolver gets me especially excited . . . it would be so cool to be able to take that and put a few rounds through it, and FEEL the history!

You're a lucky guy. Thanks so much for taking the time to post that!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't do any "restoration" on them that affects the finish on the wood or metal.

You'll severely decrease the value as a "collector". ESPECIALLY with the Colt revolver.

The Stevens favorite is also a very collectable little rifle and yours appears to be pretty nice as is.

SERIOUSLY! Don't take any sandpaper or steel wool or do any kind of "clean up" on them till you establish a value. You'll regret it it if you do.

Clean the bores and actions but don't take them apart to do so. BE GENTLE!!!!!!

-- Travis A Kisner

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:03 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome pieces man! Good advice from Foothills too. I have a few 1800's hand me down revolvers too that are in similar shape. They are gun socked and stored away as-is, as received.. Well, except for the percussion revolver that I had to "un-load" the powder and wad from.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

I think it would be fantastic to get all three of them to a condition where they can be fired, so you can take them out occasionally and enjoy them. The revolver gets me especially excited . . . it would be so cool to be able to take that and put a few rounds through it, and FEEL the history!

I'm with Madpick if you need a very taleted smith I would recommend Clark county gunsmith ask for les they don't do chroming tho and he is very well versed on old firearms 360-694-7858 tell him the guy that makes jerky told you and he will treat you like a God . but bring some dog cookies and you make two new friends

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm

sofa king wrote:
MadPick wrote:

I'm with Madpick if you need a very taleted smith I would recommend Clark county gunsmith ask for les they don't do chroming tho and he is very well versed on old firearms 360-694-7858 tell him the guy that makes jerky told you and he will treat you like a God . but bring some dog cookies and you make two new friends

Yep, I already know Les and his son Charlie. That's who I use for my FFL transfers. Good people, and a somewhat friendly dog.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Vince
United States Marine Corps '94-'00
NRA Member

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

vmkeith wrote:
. . . a somewhat friendly dog.

Hence the suggestion to bring treats, I'm guessing.... :P

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same 22. It was my great grandmothers. She used it to keep the mice out of her grain shed and smoke house in Mississippi. It needs a new extractor also. There is a a few places online that make new ones for the old stevens break opens. There was a few different models so it depends. I will let you know what i find. They run about 22 dollars a piece. If i cant find the one I need I will have to make one. It is nice having a machinist back ground.

Good luck
Matt

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could be wrong, I believe the Stevens Favorite did not have an extractor

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]