Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Looking for a gunsmith to fix butt stock 

Hello, I have a Marlin Glenfieild model 30 that needs a new butt stock. I have the new rear stock but it is unfinished, anyone know who would be able to finish and install this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How unfinished are you talking? Fully shaped, fitting the receiver, just needing final oiling and polish, or a rough piece of lumber that needs to be shaped, smoothed, etc?

If you're just talking the final fitting to the receiver, some minor sanding, and applying the finish oil, that's a great DIY job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:42 am

I think it just needs final fitting, sanding and oiling. Also it needs a hole drilled for the screw. I thought about doing it myself but have zero experience in the area.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a guy at the Centralia show who does stocks. I think my colleague at wor has his details, will see if I can get them.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust wrote:
I think it just needs final fitting, sanding and oiling. Also it needs a hole drilled for the screw. I thought about doing it myself but have zero experience in the area.

Just remember that EVERYONE had ZERO experience at one time in their life. Even the most accomplished experts. One has to get the first one behind them.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dust, if doing it yourself interests you . . . I have a strong suspicion that if you post some pictures of the gun and the new stock along with a description of what you think needs to be done, deadshot2 and the other fine folks would take the time to offer some very helpful suggestions. :bigsmile:

On the other hand, if it does not INTEREST you (which is different than not knowing how to do it), then you should certainly take it to someone else to do it . . . save your time for things that are more interesting to you.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:56 am

Good idea, I am interested in doing it myself, but fear that I do not have the required tools to do so. But I will take some pics when I get home.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust wrote:
Good idea, I am interested in doing it myself, but fear that I do not have the required tools to do so. But I will take some pics when I get home.

There are a few tasks that do require special tools but stock work usually only requires basic woodworking tools. Basic chisels, rasps, files, sandpaper, a drill or two to make holes for bolts or starting a wood screw. Finish work involves a lot of elbow grease applied liberally to sandpaper, steel wool, and in the end just plain rags.

If you have the patience to go slow and don't view the job as requireing a lathe and mill to be able to tackle, send the pics. I just finished a complete stock, from "Blank Plank" to installed on the rifle last year. The most exotic tools used were some wood carving chisels from Harbor Freight. You can do it------If you want to.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Here are some pics I took of the gun and stock, also a spring and metal part that came off the end of the mechanical part and I have no idea how to put them back on. I'm sure I can sand and oil the stock just don't know about the rest. Thanks for all the help guys. Let me know if you need any more info/pics.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Spring is the Hammer Spring and the little "plate" is the hammer spring adjusting plate.

Here's some information on disassembly/assembly on a different model but very similar parts and locations. Might help a lot on reassembling the spring/plate.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html

If you're missing any parts, as always Numrich is a good place to check first. Their online site is great for new, old, and almost forgotten firearm parts.

Once you have the rifle ready for the stock it's merely a little fitting work. Just fit the stock to the action a few times and then examine the bare wood surfaces for shiny spots. Use a scraper to remove the shine and then repeat. The tip of a flat file, used more like a chisel, often works well for this task. When you get the stock fitting evenly then attach it to the action. Tape off teh action with some strong packing tape (Mylar is great for this), trim the edges of the steel and then sand carefully until the stock fits the profile of the action. Flat files also work good when getting close. Use a single cut file and have a wire brush handy to keep the file clean. sand the rest of the stock and fit the buttplate the same way.

When you have the wood as smooth as possible, sanding with progressively finer grits, then go to work with steel wool. When you can't see another scratch anywhere on the wood then get some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. For the first coats thin the "oil" 50-50 with mineral spirits paint thinner. Apply a coat and let it soak in. Just enough to soak in, not heavy enough to run off. I just use a piece of tee shirt for this stage. After every application let dry thoroughly. I let it hang in my garage overnight. Before applying the next coat I work the entire stock with 000 steel wool. Some will actually apply subsequent coats of the thinned oil with the steel wool as a "brush", scrubbing it in. I just go back to the tee shirt after I've "wooled" the stock. Dry and repeat until you have a good base which will show as no dull spots after drying. This shows that the wood has absorbed as much as it wants to of the thinned oil.

Now start coating the stock with unthinned oil. At this point I just use my bare hand/fingers. Rub an even coat on the stock and hang up to dry overnight. Lightly steel wool the finish, making sure that any ridges, lumps, or "FLA" ( a finishers term for the texture of an overweight ladies backside) are removed. Repeat the hand application of Tru-Oil.

This process of a coat of oil, dry, Steel Wool, and repeat should continue on the following schedule.

One coat per day for a Month.

One coat per Month for a Year.

One coat per year for life.

It should start looking like this after the first coat of un-thinned Tru-Oil.

I like Tru-Oil for any piece of wood that has some "Character". It can be refinished by merely applying steel wool or wet/dry sand/paper (use the oil rather than water) then more tru-oil. Doesn't chip like some urethane finishes. I use those on firearm furniture that had it's start as a piece of "lumber" like a 2x4 or such :ROFLMAO:

This is just a start, more pictures as you progress.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deadshot2, thank you for taking the time to write all of that up (and I know it's just a start) and sharing your knowledge. :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:41 am

Wow, great write up! Thank you so much, I will attempt this myself, seems like a fun project for the spring.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust wrote:
Wow, great write up! Thank you so much, I will attempt this myself, seems like a fun project for the spring.

As you begin, just remember to do a lot of fitting and measuring before removing any wood. If you run into any roadblocks along the way, just post pictures with a description of the issue.

There's nothing more rewarding than one's first project like this. Who knows, you may start looking for bargain rifles that need new stocks and/or finishes. It's a great hobby.

Not as fattening as drinking, not as dangerous as chasing women (if you're married) and not as expensive as "Hot Rods". :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:49 am

Hopefully I enjoy it, I could use a less expensive hobby. I currently partake in all the other hobbys you mentioned lol (no Im not married but chasing women is time consuming). :bigsmile:

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust wrote:
(no Im not married but chasing women is time consuming). :bigsmile:

I once had a fellow worker suggest that "Hookers" were cheaper than "chasing women".

His Rationale:

You don't have to buy them an expensive dinner

You don't have to take them to clubs and spend a fortune on fancy colored drinks

They are available to satisfy your urges on YOUR schedule

When one gets to looking old, just get another one

You don't have to marry them

And best of all, you don't have to buy them a house that someday they won't let you live in.

Apparently, marriage wasn't too good to him. He tried it at least 4 times that I knew of.

One of the last things I heard him say was "Next time I'm just going to find a gal I can't stand and give her a house".

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next