Switch to full style
Post a reply

Ak rear trunnion pressing help

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Got a MAK 90 that sheared its rear trunnion pins and need to get it fixed. Anyone near Olympia or Lakewood have AK jigs and a shop press?

Also, does anyone have advice to offer for dimpling the thick Chinese receiver? Do I also dimple the trunnion or can it just be chamfered with a drill?ImageImage

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Re: Ak rear trunnion pressing help

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:00 pm

Did you have any luck finding someone? I too am in need of assitance

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Welcome to WaGuns, guys. :wavey:

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:24 pm

contact member Tactical Assault, he has the tools and experience to fix it right

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 pm

TINCANBANDIT wrote:contact member Tactical Assault, he has the tools and experience to fix it right

:thumbsup2:

Indeed. It can be a bitch but I have everything and then some to cover any aspect of AK badssery. :AR15firing:

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Please forgive my ignorance on this platform, and my jumping off topic, but is this area a common failure point? Is it basically a rivet?

Thanks, curiosity was bugging me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:59 pm

todd1803 wrote:Please forgive my ignorance on this platform, and my jumping off topic, but is this area a common failure point? Is it basically a rivet?

Thanks, curiosity was bugging me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

It's not basically a rivet...it IS a rivet. Two in fact. I wouldn't say it's "common" but it does happen on high mileage AK's or ones that have had the wrong rivets installed and incorrectly pressed. I have owned and built more than a few AK's and I have never had it happen to me. The reason is because all the mass of the bolt and carrier slams into that rear trunnion/stock tang every time it's fired. After repeated use they can fail. A lot of guys will put a recoil buffer in there which is actually doing more harm than good. Leave the recoil buffers out and periodically check the stock for front to rear movement. Adding to that, I recommend removing the stock and checking the trunnion itself for the movement because sometimes the stocks fit so tight into the receivers that they won't wiggle if installed. :thumbsup2:
Post a reply