Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:08 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Greetings from the peninsula 
Author Message
User avatar

Location: Port Townsend
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020
Posts: 3
Hello folks,

Happy to find and join this group! Been shooting since the mid 2000's but considerably more avid the last couple years now that I've finally gotten the opportunity to get out of the city life. Also doesn't hurt that I've access to a few dozen acres to shoot on. Though not a hunter myself (unfortunately one of those poor suckers that stomach does backflips when I see a more than a few tablespoons worth of blood!) it makes me happy to see we've got a healthy hunting community out on the peninsula.

I'm big into suppressors these days as I live in a pretty steep valley so those .308's really echo for miles. A nice added bonus is that you can really hear that steel ring with a can on the end of your rifle. I hope to get into reloading at some point in the near future once things (hopefully!) become more available as supply can fill out the demand.

Anywoo, happy to come across you folks here and happy to be part of the community!


Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Bellevue
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013
Posts: 42
Real Name: Gary
Welcome!

_________________
Image









______________________________________________________
I do custom avatars / signatures for FREE. PM me if you want something made.
Yes, that's my actual cat...if you see him, please tell him that smoking is bad...thanks


Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 42588
Real Name: Steve
Welcome to WaGuns!

Oh man, I'm so jealous . . . I'd love to have some land accessible where I could shoot.

Reloading is a great part of the hobby, let us know when you're ready to roll!

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 am
Profile
Mod Broad
User avatar
Mod Broad

Location: N-Sno
Joined: Thu Oct 3, 2013
Posts: 3975
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

:wagwoot:

_________________
"Hmmm. I've been looking for a way to serve the community that incorporates my violence." -- Leela


Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Bellevue
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013
Posts: 42
Real Name: Gary
MadPick wrote:
Welcome to WaGuns!

Oh man, I'm so jealous . . . I'd love to have some land accessible where I could shoot.


Yes I am too...probably good for the wallet though, that I don't have the acreage.

_________________
Image









______________________________________________________
I do custom avatars / signatures for FREE. PM me if you want something made.
Yes, that's my actual cat...if you see him, please tell him that smoking is bad...thanks


Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14263
Real Name: John
Welcome to Waguns! :wagwoot:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:27 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Belfair, WA
Joined: Tue Apr 5, 2011
Posts: 566
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Hello folks,

Happy to find and join this group! Been shooting since the mid 2000's but considerably more avid the last couple years now that I've finally gotten the opportunity to get out of the city life. Also doesn't hurt that I've access to a few dozen acres to shoot on. Though not a hunter myself (unfortunately one of those poor suckers that stomach does backflips when I see a more than a few tablespoons worth of blood!) it makes me happy to see we've got a healthy hunting community out on the peninsula.

I'm big into suppressors these days as I live in a pretty steep valley so those .308's really echo for miles. A nice added bonus is that you can really hear that steel ring with a can on the end of your rifle. I hope to get into reloading at some point in the near future once things (hopefully!) become more available as supply can fill out the demand.

Anywoo, happy to come across you folks here and happy to be part of the community!

If you enjoy suppressed .308, I think you will enjoy subsonic .308. I load my own 308 with 180 grain round nose in my 1-10 twist Savage 112 using about 10 grains of H110. You will need a chronograph if you load subsonic as you will want about 1050 fps to keep just under the transonic speeds. Expect group size to double as the large case is not intended to use small powder charges. 300 blackout is a better choice for subsonic, but is not as flexible as 308.


Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 pm
Profile
Site Moderator
User avatar
Site Moderator

Location: Ryderwood WA.
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011
Posts: 4901
welcomewgo

Greetings and Welcome to WaGuns !!

Reloading CAN become a very addictive hobby.

cootduster

_________________
Retired May 30th 2018, after 41years.

"My measure of project success=Did I fix more than I broke? MAJOR DUTY SUCCESS!!"
Traut


Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Port Townsend
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020
Posts: 3
Ranb wrote:
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Hello folks,

Happy to find and join this group! Been shooting since the mid 2000's but considerably more avid the last couple years now that I've finally gotten the opportunity to get out of the city life. Also doesn't hurt that I've access to a few dozen acres to shoot on. Though not a hunter myself (unfortunately one of those poor suckers that stomach does backflips when I see a more than a few tablespoons worth of blood!) it makes me happy to see we've got a healthy hunting community out on the peninsula.

I'm big into suppressors these days as I live in a pretty steep valley so those .308's really echo for miles. A nice added bonus is that you can really hear that steel ring with a can on the end of your rifle. I hope to get into reloading at some point in the near future once things (hopefully!) become more available as supply can fill out the demand.

Anywoo, happy to come across you folks here and happy to be part of the community!

If you enjoy suppressed .308, I think you will enjoy subsonic .308. I load my own 308 with 180 grain round nose in my 1-10 twist Savage 112 using about 10 grains of H110. You will need a chronograph if you load subsonic as you will want about 1050 fps to keep just under the transonic speeds. Expect group size to double as the large case is not intended to use small powder charges. 300 blackout is a better choice for subsonic, but is not as flexible as 308.



Great info TY! Custom heavy rounds is exactly why I'm really wanting to get into reloading. Agree on the blackout being better for subs but the prices these days on those is a major buzz kill.

cCan anyone rec a good chrono setup?


Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:38 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tumwater, WA
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012
Posts: 3376
Real Name: Chris
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Can anyone rec a good chrono setup?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure their is a certain Admin on here who can make a recommendation. icon_eek
:bigsmile:

:peep:

_________________
Chris

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982


Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Belfair, WA
Joined: Tue Apr 5, 2011
Posts: 566
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Great info TY! Custom heavy rounds is exactly why I'm really wanting to get into reloading. Agree on the blackout being better for subs but the prices these days on those is a major buzz kill.

cCan anyone rec a good chrono setup?

Any brand is accurate enough. Look on Midwayusa for products. The cheapest ones are the Chrony brand that folds up into a compact unit. I went through three of them in 25 years; all shot through. Now I use one that has the power supply and read out on the bench and the sensors mounted separately downrange.

When you start reloading, the 300 blackout will be a tiny bit cheaper than 308 due to the slightly smaller powder charges. The usual 1-8 300 blackout twist will stablize 240 grain hpbt bullets whereas you need to use lighter ones for the usual 1-10 twist barrels. There is very little difference in drop at 200 yards between hpbt and round nose bullets. at subsonic speeds.


Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:28 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: The banana belt of Sequim
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016
Posts: 1636
Real Name: Jay
Hey, welcome neighbor!
I'm just down the road in Sequim.

_________________
MadPick wrote:
. . . and the more I lubed it, the better it did.


Thread all the things and suppress all the threaded things.

Jay
I'm not interested in how or where a weapon is made, as long as it does the job it needs to do and I know how to use it.
As long as it fires ammunition and you've got lots of it, that's all you should be concerned about.
Andy McNab, SAS


Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 42588
Real Name: Steve
cdoniguian wrote:
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Can anyone rec a good chrono setup?

I'm pretty sure their is a certain Admin on here who can make a recommendation. icon_eek
:bigsmile:

:peep:


Hehe. Dick. :bigsmile:

Ranb wrote:
I went through three of them in 25 years; all shot through.


Yep. I went through a few as well, but it didn't take me 25 years. I must be more efficient than Ranb. :ROFLMAO: I had one friend put a .357 into one of them, another friend grazed another with a PS90, and then I put a 10mm into the face of another. :rofl9:

My recommendation now is to buy a Labradar. Buy once, cry once. You won't ever shoot it. You won't have to wait for a cold range to set it up, or wait for the next cold range if your first setup wasn't correct. (Yeah, I know you don't need to worry about hot/cold ranges, mewlewsmagic.)

Just go right to the top. :thumbsup2:

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Port Townsend
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2020
Posts: 3
Quote:
My recommendation now is to buy a Labradar.


Damn looks like a hell of a simple setup. ty for the rec sir. I'll stick that one on the holiday list.


Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.895s | 16 Queries | GZIP : Off ]