Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hello all 

Hey folks. I'm in Skagit county and found out about this place from reddit.com/r/firearms. Looking for a more regionally focused pro2A community, preferably to connect with other local shooters and get involved in the local shooting community.

I've been shooting for 25+ years, grew up in the rural midwest, moved out to the PNW for work. Daily CCW. I collect for historical value (I just picked up an M1 Garand and a M1 Carbine before 1639) as well as functional purpose (I have a separate safe full of evil black rifles of various caliber and design) and defensive or tactical use ("Too many handguns" is not a concept I really understand). I am a rigid no-compromise 2A advocate; until we roll it all back right down to the destruction of the NFA, and we bring back a tradition of marksmanship in our communities, and reinvigorate the idea of individual rights (including self-defense) over the fears of the mob, the fight is not over.

I reload, and am into the idea of ammunition independence. I'm into prepping as well, and so ammunition and firearms manufacturing in primitive or grid-down conditions is something I am into as well. I've been collecting bullet casting materials recently. I'm going to get into making jacketed bullets at some point, the tooling is stupid expensive. I might pick up a small lathe from Harbor Freight, throw some metal gears in it, and make the tooling myself (former wageslave machinist).

I'm getting into hobby gunsmithing. I've built a few things from 80%, and learned a good bit from that. I've got some guns I want to make wood stocks and grips for, from local wood around my place. (Walnut and Apple.) I've got some rifles that I'd like to improve the trigger on (at least an SKS and an AR-15 built as an SPR/DMR). I'm going to machine some Remington 1858 conversion cylinders (I own a Kirst and am going to duplicate it from a standard percussion cylinder on the lathe). There's years of projects here, most of them targeted towards construction of items for my kids to be left in my inheritance.

I also hunt and do some community volunteering. I'd love to find some hunting partners. I've been going after blacktail for years but still haven't bagged one. I got started late in life so I'm learning all the stuff the average teenage deer hunter learned from their dad/uncle/granddad/etc. Pairing a hunting trip with a military pattern or military surplus rifle and a handload specific to the hunt is a fetish of mine.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to remember to wipe my feet.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Intro and Welcome to Waguns! :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

welcomewgo

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

WolfNippleChip wrote:
I am a rigid no-compromise 2A advocate; until we roll it all back right down to the destruction of the NFA, and we bring back a tradition of marksmanship in our communities, and reinvigorate the idea of individual rights (including self-defense) over the fears of the mob, the fight is not over.

Welcome WolfNippleChip! Most excellent introduction.

Also : Inquiring minds are hoping that you'll post in this thread : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10307

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great! Glad to have you.

Like you, I started with functional firearms and branched off into collector guns (S&W and Colt revolvers for me).

Military pattern rifles still have a ways to go as hunting rifles, at least in terms of common acceptance. Too many of us remember the late '80s/early '90s when guys bought SKSes for $75 and shot at anything that moved during modern rifle season. I hunted a season with a PTR91 but found the aluminum handguard to be counterproductive in cold weather. A walnut stocked M1A with a 5rnd mag would probably "look right" in most hunting camps. I'm sure there are guys hunting with ARs, I just never see them.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Outstanding introduction! Welcome to the site, great to have another strong 2a advocate here!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm

hkcavalier wrote:
... Military pattern rifles still have a ways to go as hunting rifles, at least in terms of common acceptance. ... "look right" in most hunting camps. I'm sure there are guys hunting with ARs, I just never see them.

I prefer wood stocks when hunting, so my ARs don't go hunting, but that's a personal preference thing. I'm thinking surplus bolt guns (1903, Enfield, Mauser, Mosin, K31, etc) and WWII+ era surplus semi-autos (SKS, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1A, etc).

That being said, part of me REEEEEALLY wants to get a .450 Bushmaster upper for my AR15A4 build and then I could reload .452 bullets at 2000+ fps for a thumper AR. That's a rifle that just begs to be taken hunting. (.458 Socom is better because you can load it in standard mags - but I prefer to have less casting dies, and .458 is quite a few sizing operations away from .452, I'm afraid I'd lose the lube grooves in the process. So I'm hesitant to dive into .458 for that reason, but .450 Bushmaster needs new followers. Blah.)

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My last whitetail was taken with a .450BM. Just not an AR.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

WNC, that's a fantastic intro and a cool username!

Y'know, you can get wood furniture for an AR . . . just sayin'. Best of both worlds. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

~
Welcome wolf guy, we have a lot in common

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

:wagwoot:

Greetings and Welcome to WaGuns.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the board!

:wagwoot:

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!! Great to see more people from Skagit County here. Maybe I`ll see you up at Medford pit sometime.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! So glad to not only have another staunch 2A supporter about, one in Skagit County to boot! Seems our little community here is growing on WGO. Look out Mexico, Canada is coming for ya! Anyway, I have been a machinist for 15 years myself, several more on this site too. We have probably worked in some of the same shops.
If Dave or I get off our lazy asses, we will have to throw together either a shoot or at least a meet and greet sometime this summer up in this neck of the woods.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]