Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 New to guns? Ask your questions here! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread will be dedicated to helping out people who are new to guns, have questions and don't know where to ask. Ask anything you have questions on, we'll provide you with the best information we can, with no snarky responses.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great thread! :thumbsup2:

Welcome, new folks! Hit us up . . . we'll provide answers, or point you to where to find them.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, please post this URL to Facebook groups you belong to, I've posted to a couple around Duvall that I belong to.

Here's the URL, you can copy it directly and post it on FB, Reddit, Imgur, wherever you have a social media presence so we can get new folks coming in here with their questions.

Code:
https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=107838

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

Does anyone know if there are any indoor or outdoor ranges open in King County? If no ranges, any allowed outdoor shooting areas?

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bruiser56 wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any indoor or outdoor ranges open in King County? If no ranges, any allowed outdoor shooting areas?

That's a good question, Bruce. Here's a discussion we have going, sort of on that topic, that might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=107640

The Cascade range in Ravensdale is still open, but for members only and just for individual type shooting. In related news, there is a loooooong (years) waiting list for membership.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thumbsup LIKE

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, one of the questions that's come into my in box from someone new to the site, but not to guns, was, "where I can find ammunition" (specifically in this case, 9mm for a competition they were shooting). I've found good deals here: https://gun.deals/. A lot of stuff is backordered right now, but there's enough that's not that you might be able to find what you're looking for. Also, try https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger (this is specific to 9mm, but you can look for any caliber).

What are some other places you guys have found for deals on ammunition?

Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:25 am
Profile WWW

I found 9mm at palmeto state armory last week. Got the word that my shipment is on the way. Not much left at the moment.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ammunition.html?caliber_multi=2031&trk_contact=6LCOIHE0E5KK7B55EDV5KIMFKS&trk_module=wel&trk_msg=F1IFR4TA2GTK3BSETVNE3BGJAG&trk_sid=51EMSCAMJ2VN0URPRM2UTTVTO4&utm_campaign=Welcome+Series&utm_content=Checkout+-+Message+3&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Listrak&utm_term=Ammunition

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ammograb.com is a useful site for ammunition searches. If you sign up, you can specify the exact type of ammo you are looking for - brand, caliber, bullet type, weight, etc. and they will email you weekly with the cheapest available sources.

This is the current 9mm link https://www.ammograb.com/9mm-luger/

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:23 am

Handgun cleaning supplies and recommendations needed.
I see what looks like a good starter kit on Amazon. Would have bought it at the local big box sportsman's store, but they didn't have the 9mm sized items. (see link below for the Hoppe's starter kit).

It's been many years since I watched my dad clean the hunting rifles so advice and/or links to good online videos :popcorn: would be appreciated.

:meme: Should I purchase a starter kit or should I build a kit bit by bit?

I just brought home my first new 9mm. It hasn't been cleaned yet and I'm figuring that it should get a cleaning before we go up into the hills to practice. Yes?

Your responses are appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Cleaning-Aluminum-Caliber-Pistol/dp/B000S5QFCO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Hoppe%27s+Clamshell+Cleaning+Kit+9mm&qid=1584985317&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tako wrote:
Handgun cleaning supplies and recommendations needed.
I see what looks like a good starter kit on Amazon. Would have bought it at the local big box sportsman's store, but they didn't have the 9mm sized items. (see link below for the Hoppe's starter kit).

It's been many years since I watched my dad clean the hunting rifles so advice and/or links to good online videos :popcorn: would be appreciated.

:meme: Should I purchase a starter kit or should I build a kit bit by bit?

I just brought home my first new 9mm. It hasn't been cleaned yet and I'm figuring that it should get a cleaning before we go up into the hills to practice. Yes?

Your responses are appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Cleaning-Aluminum-Caliber-Pistol/dp/B000S5QFCO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Hoppe%27s+Clamshell+Cleaning+Kit+9mm&qid=1584985317&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

Great question. I used to be a firm believer in the kits, that's what my uncle taught me lo these many years ago, but these days I prefer to use cleaning bore snakes and individual brushes and Q-tips to get into the various nooks and crannies. I still like CLP for a cleaning lubricant, but I've also started using Ballistol. You can never go wrong with Hoppes #9 for cleaning your firearms (put some on the bristles of your bore snake, clean, then do it over again with CLP / Ballistol).

Learn to go easy on your lubricant, I purchased a .22 rifle from a kid a while back that was oozing oil from everywhere. He'd complained that it was hard to clean (admittedly it was a PITA), but he was making it worse by having tons of extra oil as it attracts dust & dirt. Better to go with your firearm's manufacturer's recommended lubrication sites & amounts.

Forgot to add, if you purchased your 9mm completely new, you're probably fine just taking it out and shooting it without cleaning it. If you bought it from a 3rd party, I'd field strip it, inspect it, then clean and lubricate it. If this is the case & you don't have manufacturer's instructions, we can help you find them and advise the best way to go about it.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I know I'm not a newbie but I've never come across an answer to these questions that (most) people agree on.

For a new shooter looking to buy ammo, this should be right up at the top as questions go.

Which grain ammo is best for practice at the range? (self defense ammo is a whole different thread)

Should you shoot the same grain weight as what your self defense ammo is?
Should you practice with your self defense ammo?
Does it matter?

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Separate question as related to 9mm.

115 & 124 grain shoots well in most semi auto 9's.

Will 147 grain harm the gun?

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

AR15L wrote:
Yeah, I know I'm not a newbie but I've never come across an answer to these questions that (most) people agree on.

For a new shooter looking to buy ammo, this should be right up at the top as questions go.

Which grain ammo is best for practice at the range? (self defense ammo is a whole different thread)

Should you shoot the same grain weight as what your self defense ammo is?
Should you practice with your self defense ammo?
Does it matter?

Take 9mm for the example:

Common grain weights- 115, 124, 147

I like to shoot all of them through a new pistol and see which is the most accurate, then use that weight for target practice.

As far as same grain weight as defense ammo, maybe. Managing recoil is important, and sometimes heavier grain bullets have more recoil. But there are other factors. Such as, is your defense ammo +p? Practice with my carry pistol is mostly about good grip, sight acquisition and alignment, and consistent trigger press.

Practicing with defense ammo is a good plan, but really expensive. I think you should at the very least shoot a few boxes of your preferred defense ammo through your carry pistol to make sure it functions well. Hollow point can be finicky in some pistols.

All that matters to me is that my pistol runs, I can control it well, and I’m reasonably accurate. Beyond that my guess is that it’s mostly personal preference.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Now for my question. What is the shoulder thing that goes up? Seriously. What the hell are they talking about?

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next