Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 New to guns? Ask your questions here! 

I have my concealed permit,I got it sometime last summer/fall.i didn't know what gun I wanted,and did not have the money at the time,but soon I will be getting my first handgun.ive heard there is now a class required to buy a handgun? Is this for those looking to get a permit or those looking to buy a handgun? How do they enforce this if so,how does it work?

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MuddyThumper650 wrote:
I have my concealed permit,I got it sometime last summer/fall.i didn't know what gun I wanted,and did not have the money at the time,but soon I will be getting my first handgun.ive heard there is now a class required to buy a handgun? Is this for those looking to get a permit or those looking to buy a handgun? How do they enforce this if so,how does it work?

I beleive that “class” you are referring to is stricly for Semi Auto Rifles only and not for Handguns. The class is super easy and many of them can be found on the internet, after completing it you will get a certificate of some kind in which you will need to have it on your person when you buy a Semi Auto Rifle.

I hope this answers your question

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MuddyThumper650 wrote:

You do not need a class to buy a handgun or get a concealed pistol license. You DO need a class to buy a semi-automatic rifle, so that may be where the confusion is coming in.

When you buy the semi-auto rifle, you need to sign a form affirming that you have taken an appropriate class.

Welcome to WaGuns!

EDIT: zombie66 :cussing:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm

MuddyThumper650 wrote:
I have my concealed permit,I got it sometime last summer/fall.i didn't know what gun I wanted,and did not have the money at the time,but soon I will be getting my first handgun.

Slightly off the topic of your question, but you did mention not having purchased yet...

Here was the advice given to us (husband/wife) at two gun dealers. After talking about our wishes and "needs', "You probably want to look at the Smith and Wesson Shield .45. You can't go wrong."

Here's the advice given to us by our local gunsmith. Go to the gun range, do the rental where you can shoot a number of handguns. Then make your pick. He then told us how he "knew" his wife would love a particular gun and bought it for her. She didn't like it and wouldn't shoot it. He didn't like it much either. Go shoot before you purchase.

We went to a range, (The range officer was amazingly helpful, so were a couple of clerks.) spent $78 to share a lane for 1 1/2 hours, tried out 5 diff handguns, shot through a box of 9mm shells. Took our time and liked a different gun altogether. It's now in a safe in our house. It was $$ well spent and a VERY enjoyable afternoon. We are thrilled with our purchase and are impatiently waiting for the state figurehead to open the gun ranges again. The wife is looking forward to going back soon, too.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

tako wrote:
Go to the gun range, do the rental where you can shoot a number of handguns. Then make your pick. He then told us how he "knew" his wife would love a particular gun and bought it for her. She didn't like it and wouldn't shoot it. He didn't like it much either. Go shoot before you purchase.

^ All of this. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
tako wrote:
Go to the gun range, do the rental where you can shoot a number of handguns. Then make your pick. He then told us how he "knew" his wife would love a particular gun and bought it for her. She didn't like it and wouldn't shoot it. He didn't like it much either. Go shoot before you purchase.

^ All of this. thumbsup

You'll know within 3-5 rounds if that handgun "fits you." , so gobs of hard-to-find-sometimes ammo will likely not be necessary. Try the bigger size if that's all they have in rental fleet, almost all modern handguns come in s/m/l with same ergos/controls.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tako wrote:
MuddyThumper650 wrote:
I have my concealed permit,I got it sometime last summer/fall.i didn't know what gun I wanted,and did not have the money at the time,but soon I will be getting my first handgun.

Slightly off the topic of your question, but you did mention not having purchased yet...

Here was the advice given to us (husband/wife) at two gun dealers. After talking about our wishes and "needs', "You probably want to look at the Smith and Wesson Shield .45. You can't go wrong."

Here's the advice given to us by our local gunsmith. Go to the gun range, do the rental where you can shoot a number of handguns. Then make your pick. He then told us how he "knew" his wife would love a particular gun and bought it for her. She didn't like it and wouldn't shoot it. He didn't like it much either. Go shoot before you purchase.

We went to a range, (The range officer was amazingly helpful, so were a couple of clerks.) spent $78 to share a lane for 1 1/2 hours, tried out 5 diff handguns, shot through a box of 9mm shells. Took our time and liked a different gun altogether. It's now in a safe in our house. It was $$ well spent and a VERY enjoyable afternoon. We are thrilled with our purchase and are impatiently waiting for the state figurehead to open the gun ranges again. The wife is looking forward to going back soon, too.

So what did you guys end up deciding on?

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

delliottg wrote:
tako wrote:
MuddyThumper650 wrote:

I believe he mentioned earlier in the thread that they purchased a sig p365xl

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:51 pm

delliottg wrote:
tako wrote:
MuddyThumper650 wrote:

Sinus211 is correct. Sig p365XL

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:21 am

I am thinking about purchasing my first AR pistol, I was wondering how the process works.

If I were to purchase one online, do I need to contact the FFL first and then purchase my AR and send it to that specific FFL?

Please let me know, thanks!

Which reliable AR manufacturers should I be looking out for?

Last edited by januarypapi on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

januarypapi wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing my first AR pistol, I was wondering how the process works.

If I were to purchase one online, do I need to contact the FFL first and then purchase my AR and send it to that specific FFL?

Typically yes you need to let your FFL know a gun is on the way. Before or very soon after the purchase. Make sure seller is clear about the transaction as well. I am not an expert on current law but I've done such transactions dozens of times.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am

Pablo wrote:
januarypapi wrote:

Typically yes you need to let your FFL know a gun is on the way. Before or very soon after the purchase. Make sure seller is clear about the transaction as well. I am not an expert on current law but I've done such transactions dozens of times.

So do I give the FFL my info and info of the purchase? and the seller will just ship it to the FFL?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

januarypapi wrote:
Pablo wrote:
januarypapi wrote:

So do I give the FFL my info and info of the purchase? and the seller will just ship it to the FFL?

The best thing is for you to do is ask the FFL (you're going to use) exactly what they want. Then no mix ups will happen.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
januarypapi wrote:
Pablo wrote:
januarypapi wrote:

The best thing is for you to do is ask the FFL (you're going to use) exactly what they want. Then no mix ups will happen.

I approve this message. You don't get to the nitty gritty until he has gun in hand. Speaking of which, pick a pro like Dreadi who won't frck with your gun. Most don't but there was this time in 2011..........

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 am

Okay thanks, Ill ask the FFL. Any recommendations on good quality/reliable AR I should look out for?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next