Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New to the Boards…but not the 2A Community 

Long time lurker, avid shooter here. I’m always perusing the boards for info, so I suppose joining and contributing was long overdue.

Shooting sports is a family affair for me. Love going out with my kids to break clays or ring steel. Sometimes the wife even comes out when the mood strikes.

Started as a pistol shooter, moved into rifles, and love shotgun sports. Got into reloading about a decade ago as a way to save money since the kids are trigger happy. Love working up custom loads and trying out new calibers.

Got my first wheel gun earlier this year and currently playing with 38 Special and 357 Mag loads.

Anyhow, looking forward to being a part of the Board/Forums.

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Welcome to the Crazy Farm!!

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:wagwoot:

:AR15firing:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup2:

:cheers2:

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! It sounds like you have a good breadth of experience, and will have a lot to contribute!

Tell me more about these .38 and .357 loads . . . what have you learned? And what are you shooting them out of?

I'll admit, my success criteria for .38 and .357 loads is pretty low. If it goes bang and gives me the recoil that I want, then I pretty much call it good. But, I know there's a lot that I haven't explored so I'd like to learn!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WaGuns!

The spectrum of shooting is always new. Even as experienced shooters a new type of shooting always reminds us we can learn more.

All the disciplines makes us newbies. Glad you finally made the leap.

Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:35 am

MadPick wrote:

Tell me more about these .38 and .357 loads . . . what have you learned? And what are you shooting them out of?

I'll admit, my success criteria for .38 and .357 loads is pretty low. If it goes bang and gives me the recoil that I want, then I pretty much call it good. But, I know there's a lot that I haven't explored so I'd like to learn!

I’d been on the fence for a long time about getting either a Ruger SP101 or a S&W 686…and then I held one of the Python re-issues. The feel of the trigger, beauty of the build, and nostalgia effect got me. I used my birthday as an excuse to put a deposit down on 4.25” Python. Had to wait about 2-months for one to show up, but it was worth the wait.

With .357 factory loads being so scarce, I was only able to source Remington 38 Special 125-grain +P ammo. I finally sourced some 357 cases and started loading my own with whatever projectiles I could find that would work. So far that means Hornady XTP’s in 110, 125, and 158-grain weights and some RMR 158-grain FMJ’s. Thankfully I’m well stocked on CCI SPMP and Accurate #9. Haven’t gone crazy and mostly done some mid-range loads.

Now, here is what I didn’t anticipate…38 Special is way more fun than 357. The heavy weight of the Python obviously steadies the pistol and manages recoil, making 38 Special loads…pleasant. I sourced some Xtreme 125-grain SWC’s last week, so going to work up some loads using either BE86 or W231 (well stocked with both) and work on the target marksmanship angle. After being a Glock and Sig guy for so long, here I am, giddy about my first wheel gun. Feels like a whole new sport.

Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Loaded4bear wrote:
…and then I held one of the Python re-issues. The feel of the trigger, beauty of the build, and nostalgia effect got me. I used my birthday as an excuse to put a deposit down on 4.25” Python. Had to wait about 2-months for one to show up, but it was worth the wait.

Wow. You're not messing around. :bigsmile:

Loaded4bear wrote:
Now, here is what I didn’t anticipate…38 Special is way more fun than 357.

That's funny that you say that, because I feel EXACTLY the opposite. I usually use a 6" revolver, so that may have some effect, but I felt the same way when I had a 4" S&W 66. There is something about the recoil of .357 that feels just AMAZING to me, unlike any other caliber. And for some reason, I'm much more accurate with .357 too -- give me a mixed cylinder, and the .38s will kinda scatter around but the hard-charging .357s seem to just run straight down the middle. I don't know what it is, but I get a kick out of it. :bigsmile:

Loaded4bear wrote:
After being a Glock and Sig guy for so long, here I am, giddy about my first wheel gun. Feels like a whole new sport.

I can related. For a number of years I had absolutely zero interest in revolvers. I mean, why use something that holds only six rounds and is slow to reload when you can shoot something with large detachable mags, right?? Well, one day I got the hunger, and bought one. And then a few more. I still think that semi-autos are far more practical for 99% of situations, but that doesn't mean that the revolvers aren't a lot of fun!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]