Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New member from Roy, WA 

Howdy, y'all! I only have experience with one other forum (also gun-related) but I am looking forward to getting to know this community. I have appreciated all types of guns ever since I was a kid (despite a liberal initial upbringing in CA), and I have a special place in my heart for .22 rifles. I often feel like an outsider in the firearms community yet guns are one of my primary interests and I consider firearms ownership to be an essential human right. I am a member of a local gun club but I don't shoot nearly as often as I'd like :/

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcomewgo

In my book, gun rights shouldn't be a left or right issue. Glad to have you on the forum.

Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

Manford wrote:
I am a member of a local gun club but I don't shoot nearly as often as I'd like :/

Yeah . . . you and me both . . . and most everyone else here, too. :frust:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome ! I’m also located in Roy !

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to WaGuns!

I have a few .22 rifles and pistols and most importantly a shit ton of mags!

Might want to consider getting a few before July 1.

What’s your favorite?

Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:26 pm

Yo... just down the road from you here in Yelm.

Welcome!

Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome, y'all. Cool to see there are members so near me! I grew up in Rainier so the greater Yelm/Rainier/Tenino area has been my stomping ground for several decades. Lacey/Oly was where we would drive for excitement when we first became motorized, LOL.

As for which .22 is my favorite, it's a hard choice. Desert island-wise I'd probably stick with the 10/22, and TBH, it's still one of my favs to shoot. I know, an eye-rollingly common answer. I have a pile of them though, ranging from a very old (like, 5-digit S/N) bone stock 10/22, to customized guns with figured stocks, aftermarket barrels, etc. No BR stuff or anything too exotic mind you, though I do have a unicorn; a single-extractor 10/22 magnum. My first gun was a 10/22 in a Choate stock ( I know, I know...but when you're 11...), so the model kind of kicked off my love of guns.

But the gun I often shoot just for fun is an old Marlin 81DL with the factory peeps. Shooting scoped .22s with good barrels gets to be really granular, with every puff of wind taking center stage. Heck, a good day might depend on what temp your ammo was stored at. Sometimes that's not as fun as shooting should be, especially when you stack 4 rounds into the same hole and then a flyer says "nope!" The quest for precision is its own kind of fun, but not the only kind of fun. So I find that "hit or miss" targets like cans of soda and gongs (AKA old frying pans from Goodwill) at distance with irons brings a smile to my face.

The Marlin 81DL appeals to me for several subtle reasons. First of all, compared to its obvious counterparts, vintage Remington peep-sighted rifles (5xx-P or whatever), it has some neat features (as does the 80DL, the detachable mag version). The stock has fuller dimensions, giving it more of an "adult-sized" feel. I think the rear peep also has more total elevation and is a little handier to adjust on the fly, although not as precise as the Remingtons (which are also dope, BTW). And lastly, the length and angle of the bolt makes for easier throw, with more leverage. It's a bigger motion, but feels smoother. I also like the safety feature that requires that the bolt be open when loading the tube mag. Smart. So yeah, my soul smiles when I get to shoot old peep-sighted .22 rifles of any kind. The first gun I gave my partner was a Remington 341-P that I restored, which is an interesting model in that it essentially has controlled-round feeding. (Of course, I had to give her a 10/22 as well.)

And AKs, especially Yugos. BECAUSE GRENADE SIGHTS :P

And, to make a long story longer, I'm a sucker for Olympic Arms/Safari Arms 1911s, nostalgia tending to override my better sense.

Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcome, ya found THEE right spot

Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:12 pm

Just because you are over on the wet side does not mean that you can not go after those damned California Grey squirrels. My favorite target with an old .22 pump with open sights. You know when you hit them by their squeel.

Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]