Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Moving to Burien Next Summer 

I'm retiring to Burien in the summer. I've lived most of my life in Southern California, so this will be a big change for me on a lot of levels. One thing I'm looking forward to is the ability to CC a handgun . . . something I've never been able to do because of where I live.

I'm familiar with firearms. I owned quite a few before my daughter was born. I sold them all except for an 870 Wingmaster, an SP101 in .38SPL +P, and a Beretta Bobcat 21A in .22LR. Neither the SP101 nor the Beretta are ideal for CC in my opinion. The SP101 is too heavy and the Beretta doesn't pack enough of a punch to stake my life on. Another problem is that the person I'm likely to spend the most amount of time with when I get up there (other than my wife) is anti-gun. So when I'm around that individual, discrete carry will be paramount.

Right now I'm leaning toward either an LCP or an LCR/642 in a Nemesis or Recluse holster in my strong side front pocket. I'd be more comfortable relying on .38 SPL +P or 9MM than .380 ACP for self-defense, but I suspect the LCP would be the easiest to conceal and the lightest by far. I also suspect it would require the most amount of practice time to get proficient with.

Anyway it's good to be here. Happy Holidays to one and all.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Bld,
Good luck on your upcoming move and welcome to Washington...

Where are you from in SoCal? I was born in Woodland (near Sacramento), grew up in Redlands, school in Riverside & Berkeley, then worked in Placerville and Ukiah before moving to Orange County before finally moving to Washington.

I've also been doing pocket carry for several years with a Smith 442 in a Mika Pocket Holster. Very convenient and has worked well. Planning to upgrade to carry a pistol in the next couple months as my primary gun and keep the Smith 442 as a secondary/back up gun.
http://mikaspocketholsters.com/index.html

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why Burien?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:19 am

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Hi Bld,
Good luck on your upcoming move and welcome to Washington...

Where are you from in SoCal?

Thanks. I currently live near Pasadena but I was born and raised in San Diego and I spent a decade in the Bay Area. I also lived in Sacramento for awhile.

The 442 is definitely something I've been considering. The problem is there's nowhere I can go to test one. Same goes for the LCR. None of the ranges around here rent them.

What's your feeling about the LCP? Lord knows their popular.

Last edited by bld522 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:20 am

Pablo wrote:
Why Burien?

I found a house I could afford to buy. And it's only 10 minutes away from where my buddy lives in West Seattle.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

San Diego is really nice. I really enjoyed my time in college at Berkeley and do miss the Bay Area weather. Don't miss the super high cost of living though :)

LCP is super popular. I'll leave it to others to comment on the pocket pistols as I have huge hands and struggle to shoot them well.
I expect others will tell you that there are plenty of excellent 9mm sub-compact options on the market with better stopping power than the 380 and comparable or greater capacity. There are definitely quite a few single stack 9mm options out there.

J-Frame snubbies are also popular though recoil is stout with 38 +P and IMO they are guns that take some definite training and range time to get proficient with. The catch is they are not fun to shoot so it becomes an act of discipline to log that practice time. As far as carry they are great, lightweight, easy to conceal. The main down side is 5 shot capacity.

If you go the LCR/642/442 route I would recommend a snubbie with concealed hammer as it makes pocket carry draw way easier. Also a wood grip is better IMO. The synthetic grips get snagged up on the pocket liner fabric when drawing from pocket carry.

Last edited by GeekWithGuns on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns!

bld522 wrote:
What's your feeling about the LCP? Lord knows their popular.

I owned and carried an LCP for a while. It's one of the few guns that I have sold; I hated it.

I want my carry gun to be something that I'm comfortable shooting. I want to shoot it on a regular basis, and I want to be able to go to the range and comfortably put 100 rounds through it.

I hated the double-action-only trigger on the LCP. It also had a lot of recoil, so it was painful to shoot. Bottom line, it hurt to shoot and my accuracy sucked.

A couple of words on a few other guns I've tried:
- Sig P238: I had one for a while. It was really comfortable to shoot.
- Glock 42: My current carry gun. Again, really comfortable to shoot.
- Ruger LC9s: The LC9 is the 9mm equivalent of the LCP; the LC9s is the striker-fired variant of that gun. I don't own an LC9s, but I've shot one and I was pretty impressed.

If and when they come out with a striker-fired version of the LCP, I might give it another chance.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I grew up in the Burien/White Center area and they have done a lot of cleaning up & new building lately to draw in new residents. Its also home to one of my favorite pawn shops to score deals at. Swing by Jaffe's when you get into town and you will occasionally find some hidden gems on guns and tools.

Welcome to the board & area.

Happy Holidays!

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:33 am

I considered the guns you recommended, MadPick. Again, the issue is concealability. I'd rather not lose a friend if I can avoid it, particularly as his company is one of the main reasons I decided to resettle in the Seattle area.

The LC9s is definitely on my radar. It's larger and heavier than the LCP, of course, but I have no doubt it's easier to shoot and more accurate as well. I can't buy an LC9 or an LC9s down here. I'd have to wait until I get up there to do that. But now that Ruger has released their conversion kit, I could by an LC380 with a LaserMax and convert it to 9MM later.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:41 am

L_O_G wrote:
I grew up in the Burien/White Center area and they have done a lot of cleaning up & new building lately to draw in new residents. Its also home to one of my favorite pawn shops to score deals at. Swing by Jaffe's when you get into town and you will occasionally find some hidden gems on guns and tools.

Welcome to the board & area.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks. Crazy thing is, I paid $300K for the house I bought in Burien. If I plunked that house down here, I couldn't touch it for less than double that amount . . . triple it depending on the area.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Burien is up and coming fast, and a short drive to downtown Seattle. I think you chose well for future gains. Welcome to Washington thumbsup

Divided we fall.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool we need the correct minded voters!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:53 am

GeekWithGuns wrote:
San Diego is really nice. I really enjoyed my time in college at Berkeley and do miss the Bay Area weather. Don't miss the super high cost of living though :)

LCP is super popular. I'll leave it to others to comment on the pocket pistols as I have huge hands and struggle to shoot them well.
I expect others will tell you that there are plenty of excellent 9mm sub-compact options on the market with better stopping power than the 380 and comparable or greater capacity. There are definitely quite a few single stack 9mm options out there.

J-Frame snubbies are also popular though recoil is stout with 38 +P and IMO they are guns that take some definite training and range time to get proficient with. The catch is they are not fun to shoot so it becomes an act of discipline to log that practice time. As far as carry they are great, lightweight, easy to conceal. The main down side is 5 shot capacity.

If you go the LCR/642/442 route I would recommend a snubbie with concealed hammer as it makes pocket carry draw way easier. Also a wood grip is better IMO. The synthetic grips get snagged up on the pocket liner fabric when drawing from pocket carry.

That's all good advice. I found a chart that shows the dimensions of the LC9 versus the LCP. For all practical purposes, their virtually identical. Biggest difference is the width (0.90" for the LC9 versus 1.283" for the LCR) and the weight (17.1 oz. for the LC9 vs 13.5 oz. for the LCR). I'd probably swap out the Tamer grips for Boot grips if I went with the LCR.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:54 am

OhShoot! wrote:
Burien is up and coming fast, and a short drive to downtown Seattle. I think you chose well for future gains. Welcome to Washington thumbsup

Thanks. :)

Pablo wrote:
Cool we need the correct minded voters!

It's funny. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to a lot of issues, but not when it comes to guns. I take my 2nd amendment rights seriously!

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I paid 230K for my 3,100 Sq ft house here in yelm don't ya love it :thumbsup2:

Welcome I too am a comifornia transplant born in a little town north of the city called Healdsburg, grew up outside of Fresno but moved up here from east county San Diego. I don't miss ca at all other then family.

Sorry to hear about your anti friend and you have to worry about you friendship if he finds out you want to protect your life and his if needed.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next