Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hello from Sammamish 

Kinda been lurking on the forms for a couple months now and you all seem like fine people, so might as well say 'Hello'.

I moved out to Seattle from Colorado two years ago for work, and fell in love with Washington. Living in Seattle for a year was enough for me, so now I live in the best town in the worse county, Sammamish. I'm a member at the Issaquah Sportsmen's Club and I'm practically there every weekend. I'm wanting to get into 3-gun and/or long range competition but I definitely need to find a more suitable range to practice on for these types of comps. Over the winter, I did my first 10k run-and-gun where I performed dismally and want to redeem myself. I'm also into WW1 rifles, Mausers, and reloading.

I'm in my late 20s and looking for gun clubs in the Eastside tailored for the younger adult crowd as finding friends who are gun friendly is a little more challenging out here than I was hoping... If there isn't such a club, anyone want to start one with me?

Cheers!

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome! :wagwoot:

agentgruer wrote:
I'm also into WW1 rifles, Mausers, and reloading.

All right, I'll bite. What do you have for WWI rifles, and what's your favorite?

And do you reload for your old rifles?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Greetings and Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Waguns! You have indeed found a friendly community. I'm not surprised you may get some sideways looks in regards to being a Gun owner, you do live in the Liberal Bastion of King County. (I do too) :facepalm2:

I personally don't know of any East side gun clubs that cater to younger Adults, but there are more than a few that cater to all. :thumbsup2:

I might suggest checking out Renton Fish and Game club, they offer a number of opportunities for 3-gun and other Action bay events., including a "Black Rifle" League.

I don't see anyone doing a 10K "Run and Gun" there though, :ROFLMAO: and i have never heard of that...but there are plenty of activities that may appeal.

Long Range shooting here on this side of the Mountains is a bit of a Challenge.

Cascade Rifle and pistol club as well as a couple others have up to 600 yards. Otherwise you may need to go East of the Mountains.

Anyway, Welcome. Like Madpick said, please tell us about your WWI stuff and Reloading activities.

Us older guys Love that stuff. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:07 am

I sadly do not own any WWI rifles yet, but I'm on the hunt for a nice Gewehr 98 and a Carcano to start my collection off with as those were the rifles used by my great-grandfathers. Favorite rifle that I have shot so far from that era is the Swiss 1911; loved its smooth straight pull action and the firm recoil.

At this time, the oldest rifle I have is my K98 Mauser, but I haven't started reloading for it yet. I've accrued some spent brass and am looking to get started on reloading them. I mostly reload for 9mm, 10mm, 5.56, and 6.5 Creedmor. I've just upgraded from using a Lee Hand Press to a Lee Load Master, which I'm loving a lot more now as it doesn't take a whole week of prepping to get ready for the weekend.

Ya... The 10k event was something I did in the Southern states. Every mile or so there was a course of fire you had to accomplish and there was a total of 6 courses. Running with a rifle, pistol, water, and ammo was quite the experience. Definitely gain a new level of respect for those in the infantry... As much as I would love one to happen here, I don't think it would fly very well with some of our fellow Washingtonians...

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome and welcome muchly!!

I hope you vote and work with others to vote for our FREEDOM and RIGHTS!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

agentgruer wrote:
I sadly do not own any WWI rifles yet, but I'm on the hunt for a nice Gewehr 98 and a Carcano to start my collection off with as those were the rifles used by my great-grandfathers. Favorite rifle that I have shot so far from that era is the Swiss 1911; loved its smooth straight pull action and the firm recoil.

Oh heck yeah . . . it's hard not to love those Swiss rifles, they are SO smooth. Even the older ones like the 1889 are just amazing.

I have a Turkish Mauser that started life as a Gewehr 98, but I don't have an original one. Yeah, Mausers are cool . . . but honestly, they're probably among my least favorite milsurps. I think it's mostly about the sights for me, I don't find them as easy to use as those on other rifles. (Most of them, I know they differ a bit between various Mauser types.)

agentgruer wrote:
At this time, the oldest rifle I have is my K98 Mauser, but I haven't started reloading for it yet. I've accrued some spent brass and am looking to get started on reloading them. I mostly reload for 9mm, 10mm, 5.56, and 6.5 Creedmor.

Good deal, it sounds like you're ready to rock. I have a metric shit-ton of surplus 8mm Mauser ammo, but it's nice to reload for it just so I can shoot non-corrosive. I also reload lower-pressure rounds for my old guns, the Gewehr 88 and Gewehr 91 that can't handle the full-power ammo.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]