Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New in Tukwila 

Hi. My wife and I have lived in Tukwila for a while now and have been going to Renton Fish & Game as well as Champion Arms mostly using a Ruger 77 and my grandmother's old Marlin 22 semi auto rifle. I purchased my first pistol, M&P9 full size, along with my CWP a few years ago and feel ready to get into conceal carry for real. At the same time, I want my wife to enjoy the range as well and that had me take a few steps.

First, I got an aftermarket trigger to lighten the load on my S&W, which sorta worked okay for her. Then I purchased a PC Shield to see how that would work but she still struggled with the slide and didn't enjoy how it handled. After some hunting, she found she really enjoys the G42. Unfortunately, the slide is still an issue so now we're looking at possibly a PK380 or a P238. She'll be trying them out soon to see how they feel.

So I was referred here to try and see if I could possibly sell or trade my Shield and maybe get into a smaller 380. That way she can enjoy going to the range and I can finally start carrying.

Anyway, I wanted to say "Hello" to my neighbors here in Washington.

-David

PS. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm kind of a motormouth. I apologize in advance. :bigsmile:

Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard! Great opening post. Post up the gun that you’d like to trade or sell in the WTT/WTS pistol section. Also consider starting your wife with a .22 caliber pistol instead. Learn all the basics of operation first without the distraction of recoil. Once she is comfortable with .22, then move her up. I find this works better for new shooters, rather than trying to work down.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat May 26, 2018 2:35 pm

It's good advice. We did start with SR22 loaner, as well as my S&W M&P blow back BB gun replica, and then progressed from 38 special to 9mm, but the situation is complicated. She has a nervous system disorder that reduces her hand and arm strength. Heavy guns tire her out. Recoil tires her out. Heavy triggers tire her out. Like after 10 shots or less. The Shield was good for weight in her hand but the recoil was hard to control. The M&P9 was good for recoil but the trigger was a problem. Then after the trigger change, the weight was still an issue.

The G42 was the first time she had fun shooting and shot more than one mag without tiring, so long as I racked the slide for her. And when she handled a P238 in a store, it was the first time she could rack the slide on her own. So it's more like finding a good fit at this point and I think we're close.

Thanks for the advice though!

Sat May 26, 2018 3:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome, David!

morbidart wrote:
Heavy guns tire her out. Recoil tires her out. Heavy triggers tire her out. Like after 10 shots or less.

If she's looking for a handgun, this just screams ".22" to me, like cdoniguian said. How did the SR22 work for her?

Or how about a Ruger Mark series, with an aftermarket handle to make charging easier, like this one:
https://www.tandemkross.com/halo-Chargi ... p_294.html. Add a nice Volquartsen trigger, and she'll have the lightest trigger pull in town, too. :bigsmile:

There's nothing wrong with shooting a .22; most of us do. Hopefully she doesn't consider a .22 a "beginner's gun" or anything like that, because although they ARE great to learn on, they're also good for serious shooting.

Or if she really like the Glock 42 except for the racking issue, how about adding something like this to it?
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/ ... ck-g42.htm

Another thought: What about a small, light rifle? Should could bench it (bipod or rest), so that would address the weight issue. Recoil would be minimal. She could get a .22, like a Ruger 10/22, or maybe a 9mm like the Ruger PC Carbine: https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 26, 2018 3:49 pm

MadPick wrote:
Welcome, David!

morbidart wrote:
Heavy guns tire her out. Recoil tires her out. Heavy triggers tire her out. Like after 10 shots or less.

If she's looking for a handgun, this just screams ".22" to me, like cdoniguian said. How did the SR22 work for her?

Or how about a Ruger Mark series, with an aftermarket handle to make charging easier, like this one:
https://www.tandemkross.com/halo-Chargi ... p_294.html. Add a nice Volquartsen trigger, and she'll have the lightest trigger pull in town, too. :bigsmile:

There's nothing wrong with shooting a .22; most of us do. Hopefully she doesn't consider a .22 a "beginner's gun" or anything like that, because although they ARE great to learn on, they're also good for serious shooting.

Truthfully, it came down to personal preference. She didn't like them. And especially the Ruger. And the S&W. Neither were her fit. I would be more than happy to buy her a .22. Right now we have two rifles and two pistols and she wants that second pistol to work for both of us. I'd be perfectly fine having an SR22, SP101, a CZ 75. Maybe a 1911 for the hell of it.

But she doesn't want more guns, just the right guns. Unfortunately, that doesn't include .22 as her choice. And I'm cool with that.

Quote:
Or if she really like the Glock 42 except for the racking issue, how about adding something like this to it?
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/ ... ck-g42.htm

She might be into that. We'd discussed putting something like that on the Shield before she tried the Glock. The Tomcat 380 might be a thought if it weren't so hard to find in order to test out. She seemed interested in that one.

Quote:
Another thought: What about a small, light rifle? Should could bench it (bipod or rest), so that would address the weight issue. Recoil would be minimal. She could get a .22, like a Ruger 10/22, or maybe a 9mm like the Ruger PC Carbine: https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html.

She shoots the shit out of my Ruger 77. Of course she prefers 38 special rounds over 357 but she's a good shot with it. The Marlin .22 is fun but she much prefers the the larger caliber and the bolt action.

EDIT: plus I'm trying to bide my time to get an extra gun slot in our household quota, namely a 6" 686 or maybe a 586.

Sat May 26, 2018 5:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

morbidart wrote:
She shoots the shit out of my Ruger 77. Of course she prefers 38 special rounds over 357 but she's a good shot with it. The Marlin .22 is fun but she much prefers the the larger caliber and the bolt action.

Ah, I didn't realize that your Ruger was a .357. Yes, that sounds perfect. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 26, 2018 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!

I see great suggestions here, and I see great responses from you on the path you all have taken so far.

My wife has challenges racking the slides well, sometimes.

Wheel guns work well, except then you have to try to teach how to use a speed loader icon_eek .

If you ever get over to the Factoria area, West Coast Armory has a lot more guns in the rental system, so you might have more options. They also give women's shooting classes there through their 'Insights Training Academy'....

Not saying you can't teach your wife well, just that they may have ideas in class that would help her that us Neanderthal's may not think of.... :ROFLMAO:

Again, welcome to the Forum! :cheers2:

Sat May 26, 2018 6:15 pm

NWGunner wrote:
Welcome to the Forum!

I see great suggestions here, and I see great responses from you on the path you all have taken so far.

My wife has challenges racking the slides well, sometimes.

Wheel guns work well, except then you have to try to teach how to use a speed loader icon_eek .

If you ever get over to the Factoria area, West Coast Armory has a lot more guns in the rental system, so you might have more options. They also give women's shooting classes there through their 'Insights Training Academy'....

Not saying you can't teach your wife well, just that they may have ideas in class that would help her that us Neanderthal's may not think of.... :ROFLMAO:

Again, welcome to the Forum! :cheers2:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

That's the shop that has the P238 for rental. We're definitely going there.

As for the class, I've asked her if she wants to go to one of the women's classes (Pinto's has an intro class for something like $25) and she insists we should take a class together. I think she's against taking a class that excludes me, even if it is cheaper. :wink05:

I get you though. I think she trusts me more than I trust myself sometimes. :bigsmile:

Sat May 26, 2018 7:28 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Greetings and Welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Sat May 26, 2018 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]