Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shoots, Meets and Range Stories 

I know, too new to post suggestions :) But here it is anyway!

Another board I am on has a category for "Shoots, Meets and Range Stories." It is where big event planning takes place, we talk about fun range days or random meet ups, and generally have a lot of fun. I did add the WA Guns google cal just now, so I have that information. Just thought this would be fun too, something to think about :)

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sub-forum for competition shooting may already have much of what you're looking for -- https://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=42

There's also an event archive area where people might have included notes about specific ranges, instructors, etc. from previous events -- https://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=96

Are those what you had in mind?

And welcome to the forum! :wagwoot:

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

See the screen shot below from the home page:

The "Other Events" forum is where we'll generally post about upcoming shoots, events, get-togethers or whatever. If the event is significant enough (like the 2019 New Years Shoot), then it gets its own section . . . which will then get moved to the archive after a while.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:59 am

Perfect, thanks! I will check these out :)

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at the range once, Steve was there and they closed the range. True story.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pablo wrote:
I was at the range once, Steve was there and they closed the range. True story.

Sometimes you just need to err on the side of safety. :thumbsup2:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a story of a pit visit that consists of minorities getting krazy with the hipfire, a certain white family, white people running around downrange as we shoot steel, vaping arabs shooting in direction of above white family that drove off and a brass picker that decided it was safer with us.

But its too long and the moral of the story is to stay the fuck away from public pits on a weekend.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

YosemiteGirl wrote:

Another board I am on has a category for "Shoots, Meets and Range Stories." It is where big event planning takes place, we talk about fun range days or random meet ups, and generally have a lot of fun. I did add the WA Guns google cal just now, so I have that information. Just thought this would be fun too, something to think about :)

If you have ever done a group meet or planned any large gathering... it’s time and effort exhaustive plus one must factor actual cost.

There always needs someone to be the spear tip leading the way. Otherwise things just don’t happen.

Just reading a few things about you. I am going to say you have done some events.

Please feel free to setup and gets thing restarted.

If you have any questions I am certainly open to questions. There are quite a few folks that are wonderful and want to help. But it take someone to drive that energy forward.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember a pit shoot/ clean up where some asshats thought it would “awesome” to shoot Tannerite only a few feet from the fire line....Good times!!!

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
I have a story of a pit visit that consists of minorities getting krazy with the hipfire, a certain white family, white people running around downrange as we shoot steel, vaping arabs shooting in direction of above white family that drove off and a brass picker that decided it was safer with us.

But its too long and the moral of the story is to stay the fuck away from public pits on a weekend.
I'd echo that moral!

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:27 pm

oldkim wrote:
YosemiteGirl wrote:

If you have ever done a group meet or planned any large gathering... it’s time and effort exhaustive plus one must factor actual cost.

There always needs someone to be the spear tip leading the way. Otherwise things just don’t happen.

Just reading a few things about you. I am going to say you have done some events.

Please feel free to setup and gets thing restarted.

If you have any questions I am certainly open to questions. There are quite a few folks that are wonderful and want to help. But it take someone to drive that energy forward.

Agreed! And you are right, I've orchestrated a few...dozen (s) ...

Ok so honestly I'm looking for something like California's famed "Super Secret Zombie Shoot." I used to always volunteer RSO that event, which takes place 2x / year.

Think - a couple hundred of your closest friends, tents, RVs, travel trailers, 5th wheels, other toys....and a firing line that is HOT (except for some breaks to set targets) for 24/7 for 3 days. Mosin madness. Crazy homemade targets. A cannon? Yes, folks. Google "Super Secret Zombie Shoot" and check out what comes up.

Anything like that around here?

It is an INSANE amount of planning and I've never "run the show"...but it sure was a blast (hee hee)

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Closest we get is the WaGuns New Years Day Shoot. 1/1/2020

No camping per se but I do believe the range has camping on it or near by. But as for headcount I would say approx 40-60 folks mostly all day. I haven’t been in a few years but it’s cold, good people, good food, lots of sharing of toys and as always a good raffle hosted by WaGuns and members.

You can check those out and all the pics as mentioned.

Now if you want to plan one... I would think there would be a few interested... maybe.

The biggest hurdle is location. We don’t have that kind of layout here for that large of group for all you have mentioned. I would suggest a more reasonable size of a dozen or two to start your event but you do what is right (if you wanted to do it). There has been smaller camping outings in the past so maybe building on their history might work.

I like people with energy and directing that energy for maximum effect. It’s a win win in my books. I do hope you will consider doing something. Let us know how we can help!

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Awesome! I will be sure to watch for the New Year's shoot information. I'm going to keep exploring areas this summer and I'll keep that in mind. I'll for sure try to attend the New Year's thing and anything else that comes along so I can get to know members.

CalGuns also had regional meet-ups once per month, where we would meet at a range, have pizza, shoot and maybe have a little friendly competition. I'm still getting to know my ranges (I'm in Maple Valley), and I'm on the list for membership at Cascade, but that's about all I've checked out so far. For that meet-up we'd need a range, probably indoor, that would let us use their classroom for pizza :)

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

YosemiteGirl wrote:
pizza

I'm in. Other details are irrelevant.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, my first couple suggestions to you would be to explore the ranges near you.

We have members all over that belong to all the various ranges near you and beyond. Just start a thread to check out a range (member only ranges) as the public ones you can go to anytime they are open.

So since you have applied and are on the waiting list for Cascade near Maple Valley (Ravensdale) - the others are Black Diamond, Issaquah and Snoqualmie Valley.

I am biased so would recommend checking Renton Fish and Game Club - it is a public and member range.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next