Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 [Quotes] 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a way that when we quote something it only quotes the preceding post that we are commenting on?

I'm on my phone since I'm out of town. Scrolling past a mile long quote to get to the one liner response is painful. On the home computer it's annoying but I can't help but think there is a lot of bandwidth wasted on regurgitation.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

look on the right side of the "square" where posting at the top you see a darker square in the upper right corner "quote" next to edit

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So when you 'quote' a post what exactly happens?

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think you get what I'm asking. When someone quotes a post it includes all the previous quotes too.

So for someone to make a snappy one liner to the previous post they end up quoting the previous six or so posts.

Quote of a quote of a quote...

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
look on the right side of the "square" where posting at the top you see a darker square in the upper right corner "quote" next to edit

RocketScott wrote:
I don't think you get what I'm asking. When someone quotes a post it includes all the previous quotes too.

Oh but I think he does. People can be lazy and not edit the post they are quoting, or don't want the quoted individual whining about context. However, just because they don't doesn't mean they can't.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:06 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I am on my phone, and only want to quote a specific part I do it manually. I highlight the sentence and copy. Then reply to the thread and paste the sentence in quote tags. Depending if you are using the full site or mobile site on the phone, you may need to create those tags manually.

Code:
[quote]stuff I pasted here[/quote]
which looks like:
Quote:
stuff I pasted here

The downside of that is that it doesn't give credit to the OP, so you can give them credit by further editing the tag:
Code:
[quote="dude who should get credit"]stuff I pasted here[/quote]
which looks like:
dude who should get credit wrote:
stuff I pasted here

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well. I was on tapatalk to read the forum this past week while I was in AK.

I know how to quote. Got that part down, even on my phone.

The problem is that when someone quotes a post with another quote in it that has another quote in it, etc... the post ends up being a mile long. It really becomes bothersome when scrolling through the post on a phone. There are so many quote bars on the left that the words become a single vertical string of letters.

What I am asking is if it is possible to change the forum so when someone quotes a post it only quotes that specific post and not the previous quotes that are included within it. I don't know how much of this an admin can change and how much of it is fixed in place by the forum software.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:04 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Dan just explained in detail how to do what you're asking. I prefer to have the related quotes included when I select "quote." If you prefer not to it just takes a little more effort in your behalf.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you can nest quotes within quotes up to 4. He's asking for that to only be 1 or 2 max. It can be annoying when a Novel is quoted 2 or 3 times with a quote.

He's asking other folks not to quote so many quotes.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:11 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's up to the original quoter if they want other quotes in their post or not. Usually it is beneficial to have the quote in a long string like that based on context and what is being quoted. But I do see how having, on a phone, a long string of quotes can be a PITA. joao01 is correct that there can be a limit to the number of quotes you can quote in one quote. We did NOT have that tuned on. It is now set to 4.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
I think you can nest quotes within quotes up to 4. He's asking for that to only be 1 or 2 max. It can be annoying when a Novel is quoted 2 or 3 times with a quote.

Bingo!

I'm not asking how to quote or make my quotes shorter. I'm asking how the board can be changed.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

RocketScott wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Bingo!

I'm not asking how to quote or make my quotes shorter. I'm asking how the board can be changed.

It has been

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Bingo!

It has been

Thank you for doing that.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]