Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WaGuns site stability + the future 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you know, this week we have been plagued with server issues. I have spent countless hours on hold, talking with tech support and working on options to try and eliminate this from continuing from happening.

Here is the skinny: We are getting big. This is a good thing when it comes to spreading the 2A, but a taxing thing when it comes to technology.

Our current configuration is that we are on a shared VPS (private server, housed in a big server farm). It's not OUR server, we rent a slice of it from a guy who is a big wig in the world of phpBB (the software our forum is based off of). This has worked well for us for many years, but we alone are starting to push the limits of the entire server, not just our slice. When we push those limits, the server goes into a safety mode and starts killing off processes that are causing the load. This is when we start to see a slowdown, and then an imminent crash. Since we are not the owner of the server, our access to the VPS Host is very limited. Sometimes I can get through quickly and sweet talk them into resetting and restarting the server. Sometimes (like today), the public portal tech support was basically non-existent. This means I had to spend over 3 hours on a phone hold, all while attempting to live chat, email, facebook etc to get them to answer me. Finally I got through, and now the site is back alive... For now.

The fact remains that we are growing, and are going to continue to grow. This means that Steve and I need to commit to getting our own VPS.

Here's where you all come into play. As you know (or should know), WaGuns.org is 100% free to you. There are no subscriptions, mandatory pay-2-play schemes etc. Steve and I (and the mods) do not make a penny off of the site. Everything that comes from donations, PIF's, banner supporters etc goes back to the site. Most of this goes towards PIF's to the members, like our annual birthday PIF's, and our Xmas PIF's (which didn't happen this year) and hosting events and supporting good causes. The actual cost to "run" the site is miniscule....

Currently, our slice of the VPS is costing us a whopping $10/month... $120/year. As I explained before, it's just not going to cut it... The VPS we are looking at will cost us approx 4x that, which in the world of VPS isn't all that bad, but it's still 4x more than what we are used to spending. Steve and I are (as PMB puts it), "tight sumbitches". This means that we want as much $$ to go back to YOU, the members, as possible. Higher "overhead" , means less to you in PIFs, events, etc.

Over the last few years, WaGuns has grown considerably, but donations have tapered off. NEW Site Supporters especially.

So, here is what you all can do, and it's a win-win here; Enter PIF's that help WaGuns. There is an active one now, being put on by PMB here: http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=86774 and Sinus211 is gathering the pieces to make another shortly. PIF's like these are cool because not only do you support WaGuns by entering, but you can also win some cool stuff as well.

As always, there is the big ol' DONATE option that allows you to send $$ to us via PayPal, or even using your CC (if you don't have a PayPal account).

As always, donations are completely voluntary.

Steve and I are going to move ahead with the VPS here soon, and that's ONLY because our members have been generous in years past where we can dig into the nest-egg a little. Having a stable and reliable site is probably the most important part of being able to host an awesome community like we have at WaGuns.

I am HOPING that we don't have any additional server issues on the current VPS, but it can happen at any time. We try and keep everybody up to date on what's happening when we are down via our facebook page. As we get closer to moving on our own server, we will keep the board up to date as well.

Thanks for all that you guys do. Without all of you, WaGuns wouldn't be here.

Dan, Steve and all of the mods.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for the updates dan, mods....

You mention we rent a slice, is there any way you can ask to rent a bigger slice? or ask him to get a bigger/another server which means more $$ to VPS

On another note if it cost 4x more for another server, less cake for steve.... :peep: :bigsmile:

what ever direction you take I'm sure alot of us will follow or help make it happen.

:hangloose:

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chris,

Renting a bigger slice doesn't matter when we alone max out the memory for the ENTIRE Cake. Basically, we need a bigger cake. By renting from somebody else, it also doesn't allow us to control our cake. We want our cake, and want to eat it.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool, thanks Dan and Steve!

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I was getting regular updates while Dan was on the phone, on HOLD for hours.
I assure you that his time is worth more than $10/month. :cheers2: Thanks for doing that for us Dan.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, so it's all Steve's fault. Just ban him to reduce our cake usage... Problem solved.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been wondering where all the money was going........... :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My hat's off to you Dan. I know how the "phone hold" thing goes and my wife will attest that I'm not very good at it. She hates when I start cursing at inanimate objects.

You and Steve have brought this miraculous place for gun enthusiasts up to what it currently has become and I know the community is in good hands with you at the helm. You can count on my continued support with whatever decision you deem necessary to insure we will still be gathering here far into the future. I am willing to pledge funds as well as time if the need arises. It's time for the community to rise up and give back some of the love we've all received from WAGUNS.

Lets buy the entire cake!!

Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I work on MySQL / MariaDB nearly every day, from setting up the server, designing, maintaining, and backing up the various databases. I'm not familiar with phpBB, but I do write PHP backends for database access on Apache, as well as C# backends if you're running on IIS. If any of that is helpful, let me know, I'm willing to help out.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys do great work and this site is important to me and others so I'm trying to make a donation via paypal. I can make an educated guess at the email address to use, but it's just not clear enough for me to hit PAY.

Is this the address for payment? webmaster@WaGuns.org

(You say email that address for alternate payment but what you should say is "Here is the email address for Paypal payment.")

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Lead you can also go through the yellow Donate button under the black vendor advertisement banner at the top of each screen

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

delliottg wrote:
I work on MySQL / MariaDB nearly every day, from setting up the server, designing, maintaining, and backing up the various databases. I'm not familiar with phpBB, but I do write PHP backends for database access on Apache, as well as C# backends if you're running on IIS. If any of that is helpful, let me know, I'm willing to help out.

Thanks David, luckily, the VPS will be managed, so it will come preloaded with a CentrOS template, WHM/cPanel and tons of other population software. Once it's setup, all that needs to happen is to migrate the data (root files and mySQL db's) over to the new VPS and then resolve the DNS from our domain.

phpBB is a BB (Bulletin Board) written upon the php language.

I've never run a solo VPS before, so I am excited what the full cPanel offers, as well as the ability to finally have WHM access. I'm going to geek out for a few days...

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Hi Lead you can also go through the yellow Donate button under the black vendor advertisement banner at the top of each screen

Yup that's where I went. Here's what it says. It's simply not clear enough that's the correct payment address.

Quote:
Please consider supporting WaGuns.org. Your donation keeps hosting costs down and allows us to put funds back into the community with such events as group shoots, sponsored events, gun show tables and possibly some great future giveaways. We currently prefer PayPal as it simplifies the transaction, but can also accept Credit Cards and personal checks upon request. Please email webmaster@WaGuns.org if you would like to use an alternate payment option.

Donating members will receive a "Site Supporter" tag under their names, be eligible for the Supporter Only PIFs, as well as access to special features in the future..

Thank you,
Dan and Steve

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right below that, there is a button, that says "PayPal Donation"

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
Chris,

Renting a bigger slice doesn't matter when we alone max out the memory for the ENTIRE Cake. Basically, we need a bigger cake. By renting from somebody else, it also doesn't allow us to control our cake. We want our cake, and want to eat it.

Thanks for putting this in terms that I can understand. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next