Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How to actually help the homeless as an individual? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the risk of this being unpopular, I want to put my money where my mouth is, that government backed social programs aren't necessary in place of individual charities and voluntary contributions to help the needy.

The problem is I don't really know what the best use of my personal money is to help with issues of homelessness around King County and WA state. I was wondering if this forum had any ideas.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:03 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Having tried to help on an individual basis, through national organizations, and through my church, I can tell you that I prefer to contribute to local shelters. I feel the huge overhead (salaries) and admin fees do not play such a diluting effect on my contribution.

Perhaps naive, but that is where I am currently.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Volunteer, at least once, somewhere near you.

If you’re in King County, within 10 miles of you, there are a myriad of places that help the homeless.

The challenge, as most of the spokespeople for such issues say, is that 70-80% of homeless people have mental issues, drug issues, or both. Combine that with a high percentage of sexual assaults and thefts in some of the shelters, and there’s a lot of reluctance for what most of us would deem real help. As odd as it may seem to us, they’d rather be outside and left alone.

But you can help.

If you volunteer with a service, church, or food program, you can see firsthand what works, and talk to people who can help in your research on how to, and then you can decide how best to use your resources of time and/or money

Many will take a meal, coat, clothing, etc., but they don’t want to be herded or forced into a shelter, and many shelters won’t let them bring everything in their cart, or their violent, best-friend, fellow homeless person, girlfriend, etc., ...

And a good number have been in shelters, but wouldn’t follow the rules, so are no longer welcome.

But volunteering, say, for Northwest Harvest, Union Gospel Mission, or your local church, you can see firsthand what works, and what doesn’t.

If you just want to write a check, your local church, Northwest Harvest, or Union Gospel Mission are good places to start.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

If you’re in King County, within 10 miles of you, there are a myriad of places that help the homeless.

The challenge, as most of the spokespeople for such issues say, is that 70-80% of homeless people have mental issues, drug issues, or both. Combine that with a high percentage of sexual assaults and thefts in some of the shelters, and there’s a lot of reluctance for what most of us would deem real help. As odd as it may seem to us, they’d rather be outside and left alone.

But you can help.

If you volunteer with a service, church, or food program, you can see firsthand what works, and talk to people who can help in your research on how to, and then you can decide how best to use your resources of time and/or money

Many will take a meal, coat, clothing, etc., but they don’t want to be herded or forced into a shelter, and many shelters won’t let them bring everything in their cart, or their violent, best-friend, fellow homeless person, girlfriend, etc., ...

And a good number have been in shelters, but wouldn’t follow the rules, so are no longer welcome.

But volunteering, say, for Northwest Harvest, Union Gospel Mission, or your local church, you can see firsthand what works, and what doesn’t.

If you just want to write a check, your local church, Northwest Harvest, or Union Gospel Mission are good places to start.

This is significantly more helpful than I expected. Thank you,

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:47 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

A Seattle Group has in the last 6 months/year actually helped the homeless.

I think it was Seattle Homeless Outreach...run by a lady.

Last week or the week before The City Of Seattle served her with a Cease and Desist order...in effect making it against the law for that group to help people or clean encampments.

This organization of volunteers went above and beyond...cleaning tons of trash, and re-homing the actual people.

The Lady has been on the Dori Monson Show.

Be ready for the Seattle City crushing any effort you produce .......

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:59 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Nope it was 'We Heart Seattle'....

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/volunt ... eir%20work.

Quote:
SEATTLE — A volunteer group called “We Heart Seattle” that cleans up trash from homeless camps and provides outreach is speaking out. They say after picking up thousands of pounds of garbage, city leaders have asked them to stop doing their work.

In defiance, the group was back out on Friday picking up garbage around the homeless camp on Shilshole Avenue in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood.

Quote:
Andrea Suarez, founder of We Heart Seattle, says she and other volunteers have picked up more than 320,000 pounds of trash over the past year.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After dealing with homeless people, drug addicts and other underworld people on a daily basis for the last 7 years. I haven’t had to many positive interactions. I would guess 95% of them are there by their own bad decisions. Most won’t accept any real help, but gladly take handouts. There are quite a few that have more disposable money than I have! I have seen firsthand several whip out a roll of cash big enough to choke a mule. They are in their place in life by choice. F**k ‘em.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:43 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My GF and some of her friends cook up meals and visit homeless camps.
Serve over 100 meals on the days they do this.
Said they are very thankful.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

But you can help.

This is significantly more helpful than I expected. Thank you,

:cheers2:

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Want to help them?
Stop helping them.
As soon as they will run out of all given food and money, they will start taking care of themselves.
Seriously, the last time I have checked, there were 10.4 million job vacancies in the US.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

surevaliance wrote:
Want to help them?
Stop helping them.
As soon as they will run out of all given food and money, they will start taking care of themselves.
Seriously, the last time I have checked, there were 10.4 million job vacancies in the US.

Professional panhandlers maybe, but something like half of the chronically homeless have mental health problems and more than a third have drug addictions.
That doesn't get resolved by doing nothing.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
surevaliance wrote:
Want to help them?
Stop helping them.

Professional panhandlers maybe, but something like half of the chronically homeless have mental health problems and more than a third have drug addictions.
That doesn't get resolved by doing nothing.

Yawn.
Sorry, I’m not buying it.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
After dealing with homeless people, drug addicts and other underworld people on a daily basis for the last 7 years. I haven’t had to many positive interactions. I would guess 95% of them are there by their own bad decisions. Most won’t accept any real help, but gladly take handouts. There are quite a few that have more disposable money than I have! I have seen firsthand several whip out a roll of cash big enough to choke a mule. They are in their place in life by choice. F**k ‘em.

I have to agree with this one. My hunting partner is a (former) Mental Health / Homeless Counselor. He found that over 70% don't want any help.
He also have seen some pack some serious cash.

Giving cash to beggars is a bad thing to do, most use the funds to get high.

If you feel the need to do something, volunteer at a kitchen or shelter. They always need manpower or funds. They won't waste your time or money. Most shelters are not flush with either.

Shelters or Counselors have resources that are available for those that really want help. But they have to make the effort. Most don't.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

surevaliance wrote:
Want to help them?
Stop helping them.

Yep. :thumbsup2:

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Ya, I'd guess that 95% of the people on the streets have a home to go to.
Some don't because they can't shoot up drugs there, and they steal peoples shit.
There are the professional panhandlers who just see it as performance art.
There are organized panhandlers with a route, dropped off at their spot in a van with their props. A kid, sign, dog, and a phone that takes credit cards.
If you give them cash, it just prolongs their miserable existence.
Although some of them can make $400/day tax free.
Notice that there aren't many panhandlers out at night?
They all went home.
Yep, help is available for those that want it, especially the single moms.

King County's disastrous 15 years of making more homeless.
Back in the day they used to take them into detox, or throw them in a van and drop them off in Tacoma. Which promptly brought them back.
https://weheartseattle.org/2020/12/20/h ... d-seattle/

Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next