Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What’s your EDC flashlight? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, it's been a while since we did our WaGuns flashlight group buy - Like years and years ago.

This isn’t a group buy but more on what’s in your pocket these days.

So this thread is meant to educate and give thoughts to newer to carrying a flashlight for EDC (Every Day Carry) and some of us old folks too.

The group buy was an EagleTac 25 series 400 Lumens about $55?

With flashlight technology going from leaps and bounds to what it is today. 1,000 lumens isn't crazy. Heck 3,000 is probably the benchmark for the average new flashlight designs. But it all boils down to cost and size!

But first, cost, size and function are the limits for this discussion as this is meant for EDC and not just pure power.

So, something that fits in the palm of the hand.
I always want to keep in mind how bright and for how long? Less than 30 minutes? An hour? And of course at lower settings - it's always good to have a medium light that last for days than the brightest of lights that only last 30 mintues during an emergency.
Cost? Say $100

So, What's the latest in your pocket/hip?
This is something you carry EDC not a vehicle or camping light and it doesn't cost $300+

My personal choice for me today is the Fenix PD36R Pro 2,800 lumens for 3.5 hours or 19 hours for 150 lumens.
Straight from Fenix at $120 plus get 10% off for new orders. You can get special colors and laser engraving (free) from Fenix.

I think Amazon is running about $100

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by oldkim on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LensLight Mini. Not manufactured anymore. Were designed by a veteran of motion picture lighting and their LED output is a little different. Built solid and works wonderfully.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA (#88061). I find it to be a happy medium between the tiny pen lights and the larger ultra-bright lights. I generally use it on the low setting anyway, but the bright setting is plenty of light for when you need it. The ability to clip it to the bill of a hat for hands-free is also a nice feature.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve been carrying this Streamlight Wedge for just over 6 months.
I got it “used” off Amazon so it was under $100.00. I use it regularly at work and at home.
Mostly just looking into dark places. I’ve not used it to light up the back yard.
I like the flat design. I like that it does not use the traditional push button switch. There is no chance of this thing getting accidentally turned on. But this type of switch can be a little awkward to get used to.
It holds a good charge. I think I’ve charged it no more than three times in the last 6 months.
I do wish it was maybe an inch shorter. But for the most part I’m happy with it.
. Image
. Image
. Image
. Image

Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I loved that WaGuns EagleTac (well, except for the pocket clip falling-off issue!), but my desired have evolved since then. Now I'm more interested in something thinner (easier to fit in the pocket), and I'm less interested in having a gazillion lumens to blind the bad guy across the street.

I've carried the Olight I3T for a few years now, and it has worked well for me. 200 lumens, no big deal.
https://www.amazon.com/OLIGHT-Flashligh ... 0CHMV8G9W/

And $20 now....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh should have started with this as benchmark.

Back some 10-15 years ago.

60-100 lumens was standard for EDC
150-200 lumens some decade ago
300-450 linens for about 5-7 years ago

Now it’s really approaching 1-3,000 lumens

Again, a flashlight that is meant to be EDC

I had tossed up either an Olight or Nitecore flat flashlight compared to the Fenix but like you said the size is still a bit too long in those and they are 3,000 lumen now.

One last thing to think about is the heat produced can be quite significant on some designs. Fine for a brief on/off but when you are talking about greater than 10-15 min. Can heat up quite a bit.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
I’ve been carrying this Streamlight Wedge for just over 6 months.
I got it “used” off Amazon so it was under $100.00. I use it regularly at work and at home.
Mostly just looking into dark places. I’ve not used it to light up the back yard.
I like the flat design. I like that it does not use the traditional push button switch. There is no chance of this thing getting accidentally turned on. But this type of switch can be a little awkward to get used to.
It holds a good charge. I think I’ve charged it no more than three times in the last 6 months.
I do wish it was maybe an inch shorter. But for the most part I’m happy with it.

I like it but am a little confused.
Amazon says 300 lumens
Ebay says 1,000 lumens

Both with the same model number.

*I found it! 300 lumens for normal use and 1,000 for THRO (burn your retinas out)

Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My EDC is the Sunwayman V11R, Revolution, in Neutral White.

I love it’s size, but what I love even more, is the ring that you twist, that varies output from 1 lumen, to 500 lumens.

It’s extremely well-made, and was the one to have when it came out 10 or 12 years ago.

It’s a great light, and I have many others.

Sadly, Sunwayman no longer exists as a flashlight company, and reverted back to it’s camera equipment entity.

The push for more & more lumens from the lumen whores went against the company’s quality, versatility, usefulness objectives.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Streamlight Wedge
Love that it’s USB-C rechargeable and IPX water proof

Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually carry a headlight of some sort just because many a time I need to use the light hands free

The Princeton Tec MPLS I mainly use is older than my memory lasts, at least a decade. The elastic headband is wearing out and needs to be replaced but other than that it works great. Simple, three brightness settings and a flash setting that I never use. Flip up red filter that I used a lot for sailing at night

I also have a Black Diamond Cosmo I got last year. Brightness is fully adjustable from high to low, no steps. It's got a red led that's fully adjustable too. I should be using it more but hate to give up the MPLS while it still works. The BD is slightly smaller and lighter but brighter

For caving I have a Petzl DUO Z2. I got that because I used to use a Petzl Zoom for caving back in the day. The DUO is nice for adjusting between lower power for close spaces and high power for big rooms. Other than that...it's big and clunky. It also lives on my caving helmet

On our last caving trip I noticed that I was the only person with a somewhat old school big headlamp with separate battery pack on the back of the helmet. Nearly everyone else in the group of 7 was using a Fenix headlamp. I reached out to them a couple weeks ago and opened an account for the store I work at. I haven't had enough time to go through their offerings to see how they compare to what we have. Besides Black Diamond and Petzl headlamps we also have Nebo flashlights. Nebo is a pain to deal with and I'm hoping that Fenix can take their place

The only down side I see with Fenix is the batteries. They use a lot of 21700 and 16340 batteries. The good thing is that they are rechargeable, down side is trying to get people to buy into yet another different type of battery. At least they aren't a propriety. Petzl and BD both offer rechargeable batteries, but they only fit their headlamps. The 16340 can also be replaced with CR123 batteries, and Fenix has a battery adapter to use a 16340 size in place of a 21700

If anyone is interested in doing a group buy for Fenix lights I can put something together. It wouldn't be like a traditional group buy though, they don't have to all be the same light

Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
I loved that WaGuns EagleTac (well, except for the pocket clip falling-off issue!), but my desired have evolved since then. Now I'm more interested in something thinner (easier to fit in the pocket), and I'm less interested in having a gazillion lumens to blind the bad guy across the street.

I've carried the Olight I3T for a few years now, and it has worked well for me. 200 lumens, no big deal.
https://www.amazon.com/OLIGHT-Flashligh ... 0CHMV8G9W/

And $20 now....

I still use my WaGuns EagleTac light... well, when I have batteries for it. I never had a clip issue, but I do hate how fast it burns through batteries. Had some Amazon rechargeable ones but they went dead real fast.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surefire E2D Defender, have a few and love them.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I usually just use the flashlight on my Iphone.

Or one of my 500 lumen Milwaukee rechargeable headlamps.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry the cheaper plastic version of a Surefire Stiletto in the side pocket of my Carharts.

In my GHB and BOB's I have Maglite MagTac lights. Two CR123s and $35ea

Made in USA :patriot:

My buddy has a Chinese Fenix and loves it. It's worked for quite a while and is stupid bright.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always have an Olight I3E EOS on my keyring on a clip.

I recently picked up a Thrunite Archer Mini and drop that into a pocket. Either that or an Olight Arkfeld UV, Batton 4 or Seeker 4.

If I'm going out after dark I'll bring an Olight Javelot Mini or a Seeker 4 Pro clipped to my belt.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next