Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 HELP NEEDED: Protect shooting at Greenwater! 6/1 deadline 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The US Forest Service is embarking on some big changes in the Greenwater area, and these change are NOT good for recreational shooting. We need your help.

This program is called the "Snoquera Project," and you can read all about it here.
More information is here.

Near the bottom of page 14 at the first link is this small paragraph:

US Forest Service wrote:
Currently, two areas used for recreational target shooting have been identified for further analysis: FSR 70 rock pit and the FSR 7013 area. This proposal looks to improve the recreational target shooting opportunity at the FSR 70 rock pit, while closing and rehabilitating the area at the FSR 7013 location.

Here is the Forest Service's plan, in a nutshell:

- Close the FSR 7013 clearcut to shooting.
- Potentially make enhancements to the FSR 70 gravel pit. The "enhancements" are the possible addition of a separate, short-range pistol shooting area.
- Find some new area, farther out in the wilderness, to use as a shooting area to replace FSR 7013.

On the surface, this might seem pretty reasonable. However, please note:

1) No matter how you do the math, this is a net loss of a very good shooting area.
2) The FSR 7013 clearcut is an EXCELLENT shooting area, for these reasons:
- It is very accessible, not too deep in the wilderness and close to the main road.
- It is extremely safe, since all shooting is done into the large, open hillside.
- It has been modified to have a clear firing line, directing fire in the proper direction.

The reason that they plan to close FSR 7013 to shooting is that the local residents have complained about it. Their complaints include:
- It's too noisy. In the Crystal River Ranch neighborhood they can hear gunfire, and they don't like that. To me, this is a simple NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) issue, and this complaint carries no merit. The National Forest is there for ALL citizens, not just local citizens, and it is protected for a variety of uses, not just shooting. Note that the village is approximately one mile from the shooting area, and behind a hill! Contrast this with more urban settings where houses are sometimes just a couple of hundred feet from local ranges, with no hill in between.
- It's dangerous. There have been reports of bullets landing in the Crystal River Ranch neighborhood, and the residents blame the FSR 7013 shooting area. This is pure bullshit; there is virtually NO way to get a bullet from FSR 7013 into the village unless you lob just the right caliber at just the right angle up into the sky. There are hills between the shooting area and the village, so a direct shot is impossible. I have literally done the math using known ballistic data, and like I say it's nearly impossible to hit the village from FSR 7013. Any bullets that have landed in the neighborhood have come from other areas, most likely from irresponsible shooters firing from hilltops.
- There is too much trash. This is actually true . . . there are some seriously irresponsible shooters that use FSR 7013, but these people use other areas as well. The trash issue isn't about FSR 7013, it's a general problem with outdoor shooting areas.
- It's dangerous, part 2. There have been reports of shooters firing the wrong way, back towards the FS 70 road. If this is true, then this needs to be addressed with signs or other methods. Again, this isn't an FSR 7013 issue, this is just an irresponsible shooter issue.

The Forest Service is asking for comments on this project between now and June 1st. Please help us by sending your feedback to the Forest Service at the link below:
https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/P ... ject=51969

You must provide your correct contact information in order for them to consider your comments.

Please encourage them to leave FSR 7013 open to shooting since it is an extremely safe shooting location, and point out to them that the rights of all of us to use this public space are far more important that the trivial noise complaints from neighbors. Thank you!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue May 22, 2018 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

VERY IMPORTANT ! you must put down your correct contact information to be able to object to any actions that might be taken. In other words your comments won't be officially counted without your correct contact information.

Another excuse that is being used is fire danger. That somehow a fire at the clear cut will burn all the way up the hill and over hwy 410 to their community. We had a fire there about a two years ago in the heat of summer due to dumbassory and it didn't go anywhere due to the dirt. To counter this potential fire hazard ; there is proposed commercial tree thinning right at the shooting area. Combining this with a fire break can prevent any fire if the forest service keeps this area open.

Resource damage is another one as well. Yes a-holes shoot trees which is criminal but given the amount of use per resource damage; it's very small and also tree thinning in the area while talking about resource damage is … yeah you get the idea. To put in perspective; the norse peak fire last year caused more resource damage than target shooting will ever cause in that area and it actually threaten peoples homes.

Last edited by MADrtcw on Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done.

Quote:
I understand you are considering closing the shooting area at FSR 7013. I highly recommend against this action, as it is an incredibly safe location for shooting firearms. Closing this safe location will simply cause people to shoot at other un-safe locations. It will cause the garbage that is left in 1 location (And regularly cleaned up by firearm and outdoors lovers) to be spread across the forest.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks ! did you put down your contact information ? If not your comment won't really count if they decide to take action.
snozzberries wrote:
Done.

Quote:
I understand you are considering closing the shooting area at FSR 7013. I highly recommend against this action, as it is an incredibly safe location for shooting firearms. Closing this safe location will simply cause people to shoot at other un-safe locations. It will cause the garbage that is left in 1 location (And regularly cleaned up by firearm and outdoors lovers) to be spread across the forest.

Tue May 22, 2018 11:31 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you, snozzberries! Excellent input. thumbsup

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MADrtcw wrote:
Thanks ! did you put down your contact information ? If not your comment won't really count if they decide to take action.
snozzberries wrote:
Done.

Quote:

I put down my full name, city, state, zip code. I didn't put my street address or phone number/email address. Aren't these comments public?

Tue May 22, 2018 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Responded as well.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Put down my full information.

Quote:
I disagree with closing the FSR 7013 to recreational shooting. Over the years, USFS as well as many from the shooting community, have spent considerable time and effort to make that area a fantastic place to target shoot. It is easy to access, cleaned often and contains a very safe hill side to act as a berm.

Closing down this area would only push groups of people up into the hills to find other shooting areas. These areas would likely be difficult to access, monitor and maintain. These areas have been proven to be more of a safety concern for other people visiting the forest, unknowingly walking into an active shooting area.

I feel there is more that can be done to 7013 to make it more accessible, safer and more accommodating, and would like to see that done in lieu of closure.

I also see there is a plan to expand the FS70 Gravel Pit to accommodate more shooters. I do support this plan, but feel that the shooting community should be involved in the planning of the expansion.

If FSR 7013 is ultimately closed, I would hope that other accessible areas would be created and opened well before the closure of 7013.

I am more than willing to help put in the effort to keep our recreational shooting areas open. If I can be of any service, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Tue May 22, 2018 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I get what you're saying and yes it is public information. The verbiage is kind of gray for what constitutes "standing for administrative review" in other words your ability to object.
snozzberries wrote:
MADrtcw wrote:
snozzberries wrote:
Done.

Quote:

I put down my full name, city, state, zip code. I didn't put my street address or phone number/email address. Aren't these comments public?

Tue May 22, 2018 1:21 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Done.

Tue May 22, 2018 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you, guys!

Massivedesign, that is some awesome input.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue May 22, 2018 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Submitted my comment to encourage it remain open, and open more public lands.

Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Submitted my comment to encourage it remain open, and open more public lands.

That's what I forgot to do. Tell them to make more areas to shoot at. Create more pits. They should make 4 more, including one that goes out to 500 yards.

Wed May 23, 2018 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: no longer in a van down by the river (... at least anywhere near South King County)
Done.
I gladly copied some of the texts already posted here. Extra thanks for providing some composition. :thumbsup2:

I'd like to strongly suggest this thread be stickied somewhere prominent so it stays in the forefront for a while. What'cha think?

Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments people but we need more. I'm seeing a lot of support for closing this shooting spot from the locals.

If you don't know what to say you can combat the fire hazard excuse they're using. They keep bringing up the small fire from 2016 where someone caught a stump on fire that was not big at all as some threat to their community. What they fail to mention is that the fire department is right down the road from the 7013 area. If somehow a fire went over dirt and stumps and made it to the trees it could be contained very fast due to easy access to the area by firetruck and proximity. Also if there is ever a medical emergency; having the fire department so close makes it safer. seconds count on both these subjects but having a shooting spot further away is somehow safer...

Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next