Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Flag that lasts longer than a year? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next day shipping from Amazon is nice. It's almost ridiculously large. I love it.

Old Flag
New Flag

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hahaha . . . that's awesome. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right on!

Looks way better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's beautiful. Brand? And maybe take pictures once a month for a year to see how it wears? I worry about that bright red fading to an orangey colour.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
That's beautiful. Brand? And maybe take pictures once a month for a year to see how it wears? I worry about that bright red fading to an orangey colour.

It's an Annin. I thought I mentioned that, but I see I didn't.

Maybe it's too large....

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Betsy Ross flag is flown at this house around 4th of July every year :thumbsup2:

...and fuck Kapernick and the donkey he rode in on :wink05:

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Disposed of the old flag this weekend while camping.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://flagorder.house.gov/FlagOrder.aspx?ssdd=TX09
Flags are available in different sizes and fabrics. You may choose to have your new flag flown over the Capitol for an additional charge. You may request a specific flying date, but due to weather and varying demand, no dates can be guaranteed. Flags flown over the Capitol include a certificate, which may be personalized for a particular person, event, or organization.

Please designate the flags you wish to purchase and provide any certificate and dedication information. Successful order completion also requires the billing and shipping information.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 am

snozzberries wrote:
Disposed of the old flag this weekend while camping.

You cremated it essentially. It is that simple. It doesn't need to have the blue field cut out, it doesn't need to cut into strips first... If you think about that's still destroying a flag. Do with respect and honor. That's all. Just like you can burn a person with respect or as a way to insult them. It really is the same thing.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many TRUK's are on Fort Lewis?
Spoiler: show
One

Legend of flagpole ‘truk’ actually a myth

By MAUREEN ROSE

Turret Associate Editor

maureen.rose@us.army.mil

Army history is rife with legends, and few of those has had more staying power than the legend of the “truk.”

This fable says that every installation has a “truk,” which is the top of the flagpole, and that three critical items are hidden within the truk. The legend has been given such weight that the question concerning what’s in the truk is frequently asked by promotion board panels.

To begin with, truk is widely used to refer to the gold ball on top of a flagpole. However, “finial” is the correct term for that topper, no matter its shape. There was a time when the top ornament might take various shapes, like an eagle or a star. However, flags often became tangled in those shapes so the smooth gold ball has become fairly standard.

The term “truck” refers to the pulley through which the halyards run, preventing them from tangling when the flag is raised or lowered.

There are several variations about the collection of items allegedly stored within, but most include matches, bullets, and a razorblade. Others say the items are buried at the foot of the flagpole, but the same response replies to both.

“It’s really all a myth,” said William Hansen, the Armor School Library’s historian.

The stories had tremendous circulation during World War II when tens of thousands of men were mobilized. Today even those not associated with the Army are familiar with the myth, just because so many—grandfathers, fathers, uncles, brothers—have repeated it.

Hansen explained that the three items are purported to be stored in case an enemy force should overrun the installation. The last man standing must protect the flag—which represents the nation, the military, honor, and so much more. The items in the truk are to be used by the proverbial man in crisis—a razorblade to cut the stars out of the flag, matches to burn the flag (which is the recommended “honorable” fashion to destroy a flag rather than allowing it to be desecrated by an enemy) and, lastly, service ammunition so the lone defender may put himself out of his misery rather than fall into enemy hands.

Another version has these items buried at the foot of the flagpole. The lone defender is to fell the flagpole—ensuring that it falls to the north—then dig up the stash of items. The buried pieces may include a penny or a grain of rice; the penny represents the nation’s wealth, and the grain of rice represents the notion that Sol-diers can survive on almost nothing.

No matter the version of folklore you may have heard, logic dictates that none is true or even practical. If the installation was being overrun by an enemy, who would have the time or ability to scale a flagpole or cut it down? If the said seeker for the magic three beans—I mean, items—is the sole survivor, wouldn’t the destruction of the post or its troops be a more devastating loss than the possible hauling down of the tri-colored banner? If a Soldier was defending the installation in a shoot-out—so to speak—wouldn’t he have been issued ammunition along with the weapon? Why climb the flagpole for a specific bullet?

There are just too many questions to take any of the legend seriously.

According to Hansen, the bottom line is this:

“It’s not a truk; it’s a truck. The truck is the pulley. The ball on the top is the finial. There is nothing hidden in it,” he said.
https://www.fkgoldstandard.com/content/ ... ually-myth

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:

What a beautiful day. It's been over 2 months and still looks great.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flags and sun don't mix for any length of time.

There's a house in eastern Washington I go by on camping and riding trips, it's way out in the brush.
He's got the colors and Never Forget flag on his driveway. Been going up there for many years and when we see a bad condition flag, I buy one and bring it on a trip next year.
Been doing this for about 20 years and have dropped of 4 flags so far, usually it drop it on the doorstep with a note thanking him and some smart assed remark about how the Army is better.
This year was the first time I met him. Old cranky bastard comes running around the backside of his house screaming and yelling, I can't hear so his words were lost, until he sees me holding a new flag and immediately his attitude changes to wet eyes saying he's been trying to find out who the flag dropper has been for years and even had his adult kids asking all their friends.

Want to change someone's attitude and bring out pride in an old crotchety bastard, buy a cheap flag and drop it off without the need for recognition.

Last edited by STED9R on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, Glenn. Very cool, man.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got a light on my flag in my office at work, to ensure it's lit all night long.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anyone needs a set of flag mounting rings - let me know. I've got an extra set that i'm probably never going to use. (free) :wink05:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next