Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: Flag that lasts longer than a year?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Time to necro-bump this post. Looks like the flag is now about 15 months old. It's held up well.

You can see it's definitely growing a bit, but not bad:

And it got a little dirty:

But these colors don't fade, and they don't run:

What do you think, should I buy a new one?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Nice! Thanks for the great follow-up. That looks like it held up quite well.

My opinion . . . no, you don't "need" a new one.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Hard to be certain of color/fade on any monitor/screen (calibration, ambiance, etc.)

When you see it, does it look like a proper representation of our Republic? (Whst our Republic *should be*) If so, then it's a proper flag.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:00 pm

O_Kellogg wrote:Hard to be certain of color/fade on any monitor/screen (calibration, ambiance, etc.)

When you see it, does it look like a proper representation of our Republic? (What our Republic *should be*) If so, then it's a proper flag.

Absolutely. It's beautiful in the background of green and brown.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Great follow-up :thumbsup2:

So many factors are involved, does it fly 24-7, is it under an eave, or constantly exposed to rain, sun, wind, etc., ...

Great thread.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:52 pm

24x7. Fully exposed to the elements. East and south facing.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:33 pm

I was concerned my flag was fading irregularly. So I decided to flip it around, so the other side faced the sun.

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:36 pm

Valley forge flags are indeed holding up well.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:56 pm

snozzberries wrote:I was concerned my flag was fading irregularly. So I decided to flip it around, so the other side faced the sun.

:ROFLMAO:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm

snozzberries wrote:I was concerned my flag was fading irregularly. So I decided to flip it around, so the other side faced the sun.

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Great troll bait photo and "story"....Well done

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:00 pm

That flag still looks pretty good, by the way.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:07 pm

MadPick wrote:That flag still looks pretty good, by the way.

Washing it really did help, but I think it only delayed the inevitable. I think that when it gets scrubby and dirty on the edges like this, that it really is time to retire it. It's not about "how long can you make it last to pinch a couple pennies", it's more about "treat it with respect and fly a beautiful flag". Like a sick and dying dog, you retire it before it's too late. I'm ordering a new one. I just can't decide if I should do the 4x6 that I love the size of, but constantly gets caught on the railing, or the smaller 3x5 that doesn't get caught up.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:10 pm

Get the smaller one that doesn't get hung up on the Railing. :thumbsup2:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 pm

usrifle wrote:Get the smaller one that doesn't get hung up on the Railing. :thumbsup2:

:plusone:

It may also decrease the ‘scrubby & dirty’ by not hitting the rail so much :thumbsup2:

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:46 pm

I bought a new flag, 3x5 size this time. Same material. As you can see, the red and white both held up very well. The blue faded, taking on a purplish tint. Feeling the flags, the old one seems much thinner.

Since I know the one side will fade faster than the other, I decided to flip it around to fade the back side first.

Post a reply