Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How much for a "check engine" check? 2006 Toyota 4Runner 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sam took his 2006 Toyota 4Runner into Michael's Toyota of Bellevue this afternoon for an oil change. No "check engine" light was on when he pulled in, but the technician apparently told him that it came on after the oil change. Told Sam he (the tech) was obligated to "run some tests". Ended up charging, all told, $275 for the oil change and the check of the supposed "check engine" light (which is not on now).

Gave Sam a detailed list of all the things that need to be "checked" or fixed or whatever, totals about $1500.

So one, does that $175 to check a "check engine" light that neither Sam nor I ever saw sound legit? It might be, but when the Passat has that light come on, the diagnostics are around $50. Two, is it possible for the "check engine" light to just turn on and then off again? I don't know.

The truck was a farm vehicle, has roughly 30,000 miles, maybe less, on it. Sam doesn't do any off-roading or anything with her, and he's very conscientious about keeping her clean, tires rotated, etc.

Thanks for any input.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really hope he didn't pay.

Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dont pay. You didn't authorize that.

Toyota check engine lights can be read with NO special tools by a competent owner.

They can come on and go off its an intermittent problem.

Rix can fix ya up.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds like a lot to me, but depends on how much investigation work he did.

I have an ODBII scanner if you ever need to borrow one. I think most O'Reilly Auto Parts stores will perform a free scan.

Before purchasing my scanner, I found that some dealerships charge their hourly rate for a diagnostics fee. Well, that got old real quick, and I purchased a scanner. Then if I needed dealer work, I would just tell them exactly what part to replace - no diagnostics fee.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to talk to the Service Manager. If you did not agree to pay or were notified during the inspection that this came up and they just ran it and then are billing you... that's not legit.

You didn't authorize the additional testing. The estimate and work was for an oil change.
The rest is off the books - you need to make a complaint.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever fail to tightly lock your gas cap? That'll make your shit light up like an xmas tree.

Obligation to run tests sounds like bs where they get you with that diagnostic fee. Pulling codes is easy and free mostly.

I know for the state emissions you can get a waiver if you spend $150 in trying to get your car diagnosis-ed and fixed. Guess how much the nearby shop charges just for a fucking diagnosis.

Thu May 23, 2019 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AutoZone or any other auto parts store should pull codes for free

Thu May 23, 2019 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check this out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBDII-Scanner-For-Android-Automotive-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool/132112525856?epid=2224562153&hash=item1ec2852a20%3Ag%3Asx4AAOSwzc1bxUZn&LH_BIN=1

Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm

What codes came up?

Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you got ripped off

Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Sam already paid Michael's, with his own money. So now I'm in a position of asking for a refund on my son's behalf. I knew about the gas cap thing. Just very disappointed in Michael's--I think they saw an easy mark in Sam. Which of course he is, for the most part.

He's going to senior prom June 1 and then graduation is June 18th and then it's off to Vancouver for orientation at UBC, so he's thinking more about doing whatever he has to do to keep the truck in good shape than about whether or not he might be being scammed just a bit by his local Toyota dealer. Still, H-ll hath no fury like a mother on the offence, and Brian Coward (no, seriously, that's his name), service manager at Michael's, is going to find out about that tomorrow.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Yeah....unless the Dealer/Repair shop had authorization Wa State law says 10% over original estimate will need cleared with customer.

Quote:
RCW 46.71.070
Consumer Protection Act—Defense.
The legislature finds that the practices covered by this chapter are matters vitally affecting the public interest for the purpose of applying the Consumer Protection Act, chapter 19.86 RCW. Violations of this chapter are not reasonable in relation to the development and preservation of business. A violation of this chapter is an unfair or deceptive act in trade or commerce and an unfair method of competition for the purpose of applying the Consumer Protection Act, chapter 19.86 RCW. In an action under chapter 19.86 RCW due to an automotive repair facility's charging a customer an amount in excess of one hundred ten percent of the amount authorized by the customer, a violation shall not be found if the automotive repair facility proves by a preponderance of the evidence that its conduct was reasonable, necessary, and justified under the circumstances.
Notwithstanding RCW 46.64.050, no violation of this chapter shall give rise to criminal liability under that section.
[ 1993 c 424 § 12; 1982 c 62 § 9; 1977 ex.s. c 280 § 7.]
NOTES:
Severability—Effective date—1993 c 424: See notes following RCW 46.71.005.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They straight up scammed him. "Obligated to do checks?" It had no check engine light when he went in and they did that??
Tear them a new one Jen. :cussing:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

usrifle wrote:
They straight up scammed him. "Obligated to do checks?" It had no check engine light when he went in and they did that??
Tear them a new one Jen. :cussing:

Yep,

Someone gotta pay for the new building and all the employees.......

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

This isn't going to end well.

For the dealer. :rofl9:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next