Craftsman or Cub Cadet?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:13 pm
Craftsman 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Cub Cadet 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

Riding Mowers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I get the house I just made an offer on I will need a riding mower. Any thoughts on these two? Both are pretty identical in price and features.
Craftsman T240
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-T240 ... 1000706016
or
Cub Cadet XT! Enduro
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-X ... /205617433

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shoots....3 acres you better get a small tractor and bushhog

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John Deere should be on your list. Not the cheapo Home Depot John Deere’s. The ones from JD dealers

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What transmission do they have?

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm on 5-acres and mow about 3-acres. You'll want a minimum of 52" deck. Takes me 1.5hrs on my JD x500.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
What transmission do they have?

Both hydrostatic.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
I'm on 5-acres and mow about 3-acres. You'll want a minimum of 52" deck. Takes me 1.5hrs on my JD x500.

48+ inch mowers are in the $6200 range.....No

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:
BlDtyLry wrote:

You’ll spend more than that fixing the cheap Home Depot ones. A rider is like a safe. Buy bigger than what you need, and spend the money now, not later.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
BlDtyLry wrote:

You’ll spend more than that fixing the cheap Home Depot ones. A rider is like a safe. Buy bigger than what you need, and spend the money now, not later.

^That^

And if you are REALLY stubborn, you'll buy at least three of the cheapos. After paying for each twice, in parts. You'll have paid 3 times as much as for the good one in the first place.... Which would still be running.

But... John Deere is NOT what you want if you want reliability at prices less than gold-plated.

Craftsman is as good as any of them. If you are clever, you can fix what breaks with parts from lots of different riding mowers.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two John Deere riders. One is 25 years old and the other is 15 years old. Both still going strong.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
BlDtyLry wrote:

I get your point but I could hire someone to cut my grass for less than $6200 in the amount of years I will be alive. I won't be watering the lawn so the grass should go dormant when it's dry. I will only need it a few times in the spring and fall. If I cut the grass 6 times a year it comes out to $2100 per year vs, $600 (Based on each having a 3-year warranty).
While I appreciate everybody's opinion, I would just like to leave the conversation/poll with the two listed.

BTW a safe is a bad comparison. I will use it 365 days of the year not just a few times a year.

Last edited by golddigger14s on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does that mean you don't want to hear that goats are only 75/ea., and then you can also make goat curry if you sell the house?

If so, then never mind ....

:wink05:

Last edited by NWGunner on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
BlDtyLry wrote:

I get your point but I could hire someone to cut my grass for less than $6200 in the amount of years I will be alive. I won't be watering the lawn so the grass should go dormant when it's dry. I will only need it a few times in the spring and fall. If I cut the grass 6 times a year it comes out to $2100 per year vs, $600 (Based on each having a 3-year warranty).
While I appreciate everybody's opinion, I would just like to leave the conversation/poll with the two listed.

Fair enough. :bigsmile:

I'd go with the craftsman.

Wanna bet you can swap most of the non-body parts, directly, between the two?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it flat and smooth? If so look into a zero turn or you will spend a lot of time in that seat. If it’s hilly or bumpy go with the cub cadet. Probably Doesn’t really matter as there is a high likelihood they are made in the same MTD. MTD owns cub cadet and made most of the craftsman tractor when sears owned craftsman. With the exception of the professional line which was made by Husqvarna. Now that Stanley owns craftsman they may be made elsewhere. I could not find out who. There is a lawsuit between Stanley and Sears over some tools that sears is having made that looks like the Stanley stuff. Stanley is suing because they feel Sears is trying to mislead consumers since they have rights to sell craftsman stuff for the next 15 or so years. I would avoid all that bullshit.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New mowers are so expensive and they are junk pressed out of sheet metal. The decks bend the first time ya hit something. They rust out quickly, etc.

I had enough with the new JUNK.

I bought a minty late 70s Craftsman with a real gearbox and a flat frame and a 36" deck. Then I put a new commercial 14hp Briggs OHV engine in it. (stock was an 8hp flathead). I put some Slime in all 4 tires and they are NEVER flat. Small CAR battery out of a miata so I can crank it all day if I want and its good for 7 years, unlike those junk little two season mower/atv batteries.

This sucker will mow down 2 foot tall grass and it looks bitchen to. Its 40 years old and cost me less than $400 total. I can go into Tractor Supply and get any pulley or belt it needs for under $15.

Screw that new overpriced JUNK.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next