Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question about new laws and transfer.  
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m planning on selling a pistol soon. My question is-

For a private sale, how does the process work now?

I assume I meet the buyer at an FFL, but here’s where I get confused.
Do we do the paperwork then buyer pays the money to me for pistol then the FFL holds said pistol until the buyer passes the check?
What happens if the buyer doesn’t pass?

Thanks in advance.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Yeah....

If it doesnt transfer do you get your gun back by having it transfered from FFL back to you? Pay for that transfer? .....And you have a mandatory minimum ten day wait to get it back?

When you sell does the buyer pay you then wait for his ten days or do you have to meet @ the FFL the day of the transfer then get payed.

If the buyer fails the BGC how does he get his money back..they call you?

Glad they got this all ironed out..........

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of it will be up to the FFL, and some will be up to you and the buyer. The FFL sets the fee(s) and dictates whether they will hold the gun during the wait period or whether the seller holds onto it (nearly all will hold it). They will also dictate whether, in the event the transfer to the buyer can't be completed, you as the seller will have to go through a BGC to get your own pistol back. You and the buyer get to work out amongst yourselves whether payment takes place at the time the transfer is initiated or at the end once the transfer is approved. If I was the buyer, I'm not handing over cash until I know (and at which time) I can take it home.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

With the new law, the dealer has to hold the gun until the completion of an approved FTA, from what I was told.

Also, you are selling your son a gun. Under the law, you can GIFT it to him free from BGC.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
With the new law, the dealer has to hold the gun until the completion of an approved FTA, from what I was told.

Also, you are selling your son a gun. Under the law, you can GIFT it to him free from BGC.

Selling it soon, not to my son :)

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never sell!

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Some ffls are requiring the seller to hold onto the firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:

I've heard of a couple FFLs allowing the seller to hold onto the firearm, but never heard of any requiring it. Do you know which ones? Most FFLs seem to require that they hold onto it.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

I've heard of a couple FFLs allowing the seller to hold onto the firearm, but never heard of any requiring it. Do you know which ones?

Precise is requiring it. Something about they don’t have the license for holding onto them. Apparently they can’t do consignments either for the same reason. I’ve never heard of that before but that’s what they told me.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MyNameIs940 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

I've heard of a couple FFLs allowing the seller to hold onto the firearm, but never heard of any requiring it. Do you know which ones?

Precise is requiring it. Something about they don’t have the license for holding onto them. Apparently they can’t do consignments either for the same reason. I’ve never heard of that before but that’s what they told me.

Well, that shop doesn't deserve any of our money anyway. The net profits likely end up as Democrat campaign contributions, which then lead to further erosion of our gun rights.

However, as a seller, this type of policy would be my preference over the FFL holding onto my gun.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
MyNameIs940 wrote:

Well, that shop doesn't deserve any of our money anyway. The net profits likely end up as Democrat campaign contributions, which then lead to further erosion of our gun rights.

However, as a seller, this type of policy would be my preference over the FFL holding onto my gun.

So this is my problem. I live in Kirkland and all the ffls around me either won’t release until they hear back or charge outrageous fees for transfers. Precise is the only one that actually follows the law and charges $25 transfer fee.... Bona nox wont release at 10 days, thinks lowers are covered under 1639. Mccallen and pantel won’t release until they hear back.

I may start driving up to sound loan In Everett but that’s a shitty drive after work to pick up guns or do paperwork.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you, Shawn...we have basically the same problem. Precise is 10-15 minutes from me, and Sound Loan is 25-30 minutes. I suck it up and make the trek to Everett because Jeff deserves the business. But I've also stopped buying anything that doesn't transfer instantly, so it's less complicated.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
I hear you, Shawn...we have basically the same problem. Precise is 10-15 minutes from me, and Sound Loan is 25-30 minutes. I suck it up and make the trek to Everett because Jeff deserves the business. But I've also stopped buying anything that doesn't transfer instantly, so it's less complicated.

That’s my other problem. There’s nothing I can buy that transfers instantly since I’m not a citizen

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Never sell!

This.
With all current 594/1639 PITA I keep my guns.

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:

I haven't heard about Precise Shooter...What is the problem?
I have only bought a box of ammo and used them once for a transfer.

-Jason-

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next