Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Truck buying tips, especially in Washington 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
There's a lot of happy 3/4-ton and 1-ton gasser truck owners out there, myself being one of them, with a 2006 F250 with a 5.4L gas V8. Fuel economy is worse, but maintenance is lighter. I've also only put about 16k miles on the thing in the last three years. With a gasser, that isn't an issue. But diesels like to be ran, and ran hard every once in a while, particularly ones with EGRs, DPFs, etc. A low-mileage used gasser from the era you specified will do the job you are asking about, and it will be considerably cheaper than a diesel.

How’s your cam phaser on that 5.4? She ticking yet?

OH FUCK!!! mine took a piss at 160k (04') total shit down hill after that long story short piston arm finally gave out, I gave up with pissing my $$$ away and got a 14'

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe sell your safe(s), and then buy there.

You are considering a perfect scenario. Someone is selling a perfect truck for a good price.

Who does that? Usually, no one. Unless you have months to patiently wait to do research, and find a gem.

Most people sell a great rig to a bud, or family...

So, you have a truck now, that has an issue you're unaware of...

Now, you're on your way to 'leadcounsel heaven'....and guess what? Something gives out.

So, now you're in podunk, with 1 shop, and it's closed 'til Monday, but, they only work on 'X', and you're driving 'Y', BUT, they'll 'give it a try', but have to wait for parts 'from the big city', and they should be here tomorrow.

So, now you're paying for a motel, and worrying about your stuff. Should I get the trailer towed to my motel, so I can watch it, or is it safe at the shop?

Once fixed, & I'm on my way, did they fix it right, or will this scenario be replicated?

Yes, some of this can happen if you rent, but, it's not on your dime, and your risk is minimized. Plus, they have contracted shops all over...free towing, etc.

Good luck, but buying an unknown rig, at the last second, for a cross-country move, sounds like the beginning of a bad Stephen King novel...

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[quote="leadcounsel"]The idea of renting is not lost on me. Lots of great feedback here and I don't want to stifle it.

Renting was actually my FIRST consideration.

A 26' box truck has a max weight capacity of 4 tons and towing capacity (back to renting another trailer or buying a trailer) of 3.5 tons. I have close to those maximums to move. So it would require multiple trips.

/quote]

I am confused. You said you have "close" to that capacity so why would that require multiple trips? The 26 foot Truck i listed has a 10K pound Cargo capacity and the ability to Tow (I don't see the max weight listed).

https://www.pensketruckrental.com/movin ... oot-truck/

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little above your budget, but cash talks :)
https://www.motorsnorthwest.com/vehicle ... d-31560854

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

cmica wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
There's a lot of happy 3/4-ton and 1-ton gasser truck owners out there, myself being one of them, with a 2006 F250 with a 5.4L gas V8. Fuel economy is worse, but maintenance is lighter. I've also only put about 16k miles on the thing in the last three years. With a gasser, that isn't an issue. But diesels like to be ran, and ran hard every once in a while, particularly ones with EGRs, DPFs, etc. A low-mileage used gasser from the era you specified will do the job you are asking about, and it will be considerably cheaper than a diesel.

How’s your cam phaser on that 5.4? She ticking yet?

OH FUCK!!! mine took a piss at 160k (04') total shit down hill after that long story short piston arm finally gave out, I gave up with pissing my $$$ away and got a 14'

Shit man, my '05 didn't even make 90k on the 5.4 before my cam phaser started failing. Total loss of power. Felt like driving the truck with a 4 cylinder. And "tick tick tick tick tick" :blackcloud1:

NWGunner wrote:
Maybe sell your safe(s), and then buy there.

You are considering a perfect scenario. Someone is selling a perfect truck for a good price.

Who does that? Usually, no one. Unless you have months to patiently wait to do research, and find a gem.

Most people sell a great rig to a bud, or family...

So, you have a truck now, that has an issue you're unaware of...

Now, you're on your way to 'leadcounsel heaven'....and guess what? Something gives out.

So, now you're in podunk, with 1 shop, and it's closed 'til Monday, but, they only work on 'X', and you're driving 'Y', BUT, they'll 'give it a try', but have to wait for parts 'from the big city', and they should be here tomorrow.

So, now you're paying for a motel, and worrying about your stuff. Should I get the trailer towed to my motel, so I can watch it, or is it safe at the shop?

Once fixed, & I'm on my way, did they fix it right, or will this scenario be replicated?

Yes, some of this can happen if you rent, but, it's not on your dime, and your risk is minimized. Plus, they have contracted shops all over...free towing, etc.

Good luck, but buying an unknown rig, at the last second, for a cross-country move, sounds like the beginning of a bad Stephen King novel...

This may be the pessimistic view but it's something to consider. You get stuck in a 1 horse town with a breakdown and you had might as well break out the lube because there's some bending over about to happen. Cue the dueling banjos

mmalleck wrote:

That's a pretty truck but you couldn't pay me to buy a Ford 6.0. Google "Ford 6.0 head fix"

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raise your hand if you've moved across the country multiple times .... :meme:

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:

mmalleck wrote:

That's a pretty truck but you couldn't pay me to buy a Ford 6.0. Google "Ford 6.0 head fix"

CarFax shows head gasket was already replaced. Also Ford certified vehicle.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

:rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

5 and counting... number 6 coming up...

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mmalleck wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

mmalleck wrote:

At the dealership with factory parts? (Aka the same ones that failed in the first place) It needs the bulletproof kit before I’d trust it.

She pretty though!

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
mmalleck wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

mmalleck wrote:

At the dealership with factory parts? (Aka the same ones that failed in the first place) It needs the bulletproof kit before I’d trust it.

She pretty though!

Not to derail the thread too much, but in watching a head gasket replacement video, the Ford tech mentions that the head gasket was redesigned. Video is from 2015. Head gaskets on this truck were replaced in 2016.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

What about doing it in reverse?

Instead of getting a truck in quiet desperation, and showing up in Arizona/Texas/California ( :bigsmile: )..(sorry, did you say where?), how about putting your stuff in storage for a month?

Get where you're going in the rig you have...and then talk to folks & realtors, & get a lay of the land?

As you know from here, figuring out where not to live can be a bit tricky.

Find a place to rent or buy, then either come back, or, of you store your stuff in a pod, you can have it shipped & not come back.

I guess with all my ramblings, I'm just saying making any big purchase when your balls are against the wall on time, is generally not a good idea. It's especially not good in the vehicle or housing industry. Desperation makes things look better than they are, and can often lead to bad choices, and regret.

Again, I wish you well.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mmalleck wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
mmalleck wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

mmalleck wrote:

She pretty though!

Not to derail the thread too much, but in watching a head gasket replacement video, the Ford tech mentions that the head gasket was redesigned. Video is from 2015. Head gaskets on this truck were replaced in 2016.

You own any Fords Mark?

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
You own any Fords Mark?

My dad owned Ford trucks on the farm, but not a diesel. I purchased a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium with the twin turbo AWD for my daughter. I personally have not owned a Ford truck, but I have been looking and researching. The truck I posted today came up at the dealership I've been talking to. Oh, I guess I did own an RV with a Ford 6.8L V10, it ran well, but I heard the plug threads could be fragile. :)

The tech in the video mentioned head gaskets were redesigned in Aug 2005 (maybe that solved the issue?).
Mentioned at 16:44 & 25:16 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5DRYqgQ900

Last edited by mmalleck on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

What about doing it in reverse?

Instead of getting a truck in quiet desperation, and showing up in Arizona/Texas/California ( :bigsmile: )..(sorry, did you say where?), how about putting your stuff in storage for a month?

Get where you're going in the rig you have...and then talk to folks & realtors, & get a lay of the land?

As you know from here, figuring out where not to live can be a bit tricky.

Find a place to rent or buy, then either come back, or, of you store your stuff in a pod, you can have it shipped & not come back.

I guess with all my ramblings, I'm just saying making any big purchase when your balls are against the wall on time, is generally not a good idea. It's especially not good in the vehicle or housing industry. Desperation makes things look better than they are, and can often lead to bad choices, and regret.

Again, I wish you well.

No desperation here. I have a month to shop for a vehicle.

Moving the stuff I need to move in my current setup would take probably 6-8 trips. I've considered it. It's not time or cost effective.

Renting sufficient vehicle now would just mean I'd have to do it to some degree again in a year. Sure an across town move is not too expensive, but it's the hassle involved versus just loading your own truck and trailer and doing it.

Plus, down the road, I'll be needing appliances, probably building supplies, and who knows.

Whether I rent or buy housing immediately on the other end remains to be seen. Probably a rental temporarily. And yes, there is a "desperation" window on that end, so I probably WILL have to rent at least temporarily to, as you say, get the lay of the land. Probably putting stuff in storage or regardless, WILL have to move it all again.

Hence the truck & trailer is a better investment for multiple moves in the next month and again probably in 6-12 months from now. If I rented moving vehicle(s), I'd just be renting again in a year and wishing I had a truck and trailer again.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

mmalleck wrote:

I bought a Toyota certified vehicle (Honda) that crapped out one block from the dealer. I called the dealer to pick it up. I gave them the keys and walked away from it (after getting my money back).

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next