Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Cali Power Blackouts 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:
dreadi wrote:
With all those winds blowing to the east, it would be a tragedy if a fire came about in Temecula or there about. All those people would be trapped in the L.A. and greater L.A. area.

I was listening to a podcast recently that featured the owner or Patagonia (clothing company). He said, "California should be it's own country."

I remember a story about a few states that tried that once. Didn't work out well for them from what I remember.

I think in California’s case, if they were to secede, the rest of the country would let them. We would just have to build a bigger wall.

And if they succeeded, there would be a MASS exodus from that state.

Rats and sinking ships and all that...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how that would play out in actuality. CA is a huge part of our economy and supplies a tremenouds amount of our groceries.

The hit to Federal revenues to be considered as well.

What do you think it would do to the cost of food, here in the lower 47?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:17 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
I wonder how that would play out in actuality. CA is a huge part of our economy and supplies a tremenouds amount of our groceries.

The hit to Federal revenues to be considered as well.

What do you think it would do to the cost of food, here in the lower 47?

As much as I hate to admit it, most studies show that the US would be in a worse place without them.

We'd lose a massive port, lots of tax $$ and a huge chunk of the economy/food supply which would likely make costs go up for the rest of us. What would be interesting to see is how they would change - I.E. no more federal protection of their borders and how the rest of the country would change. What would you do with the federal land/military bases?

It's a pretty complex issue when you really stop to think about all of the things CA is depending on the rest of the US for and vice versa.

I think it'd be lose/lose overall. We'd still have the rest of the liberal states (unless there was a multi-way breakup, but either way that screws us in WA) and CA would suddenly have to create a lot of agencies and well, a military. It's a nice dream though.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 am

Selador wrote:
Ace wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:
dreadi wrote:
With all those winds blowing to the east, it would be a tragedy if a fire came about in Temecula or there about. All those people would be trapped in the L.A. and greater L.A. area.

I was listening to a podcast recently that featured the owner or Patagonia (clothing company). He said, "California should be it's own country."

I remember a story about a few states that tried that once. Didn't work out well for them from what I remember.

I think in California’s case, if they were to secede, the rest of the country would let them. We would just have to build a bigger wall.

And if they succeeded, there would be a MASS exodus from that state.

Rats and sinking ships and all that...

Hence the need for a wall.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:20 am

I would much rather the whole state fall into the sea and take all the crazy with them. As for us depending on them that’s all relative. We got ports all along the west coast. It’s true LA is the biggest, but it wouldn’t take much to enhance Seattle and Tacoma, hell they could expand Grays harbor. As for produce, true California does produce a lot of vegetables and fruit, but then again so does Mexico and South America. NAFTA made California’s avocados and oranges moot. The only thing that they crank out more of right now is almonds and you can bet that if needed Mexico could step up. Thing is that California is the third largest economy in the world and the only reason the feds would fight to keep them is the feds would hate to deprived of all those tax dollars.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:32 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Ace wrote:
We got ports all along the west coast. It’s true LA is the biggest, but it wouldn’t take much to enhance Seattle and Tacoma, hell they could expand Grays harbor.

Seattle and Tacoma are both already undergoing port expansions.
After losing a lot of port business to Vancouver and Port Ruport, Canada.
Port costs in Canada are much cheaper, and so is Canadian railway expense to the Midwest. Like $400-600 per container less.
Multiply that by 10,000 and the company saves at least $4-6 million USD per ship.

https://www.joc.com/port-news/us-ports/ ... 90206.html

A 2018 NWSA study that detailed the costs of shipping through Seattle-Tacoma to Chicago versus Vancouver and Prince Rupert concluded that due to lower intermodal and infrastructure-related costs, shippers save about $400 per container through the Canadian gateway to Chicago. “Our port charge per container is less than $100. We could offer our facilities free of charge and still not come close to that number,” John Wolfe, CEO of the NWSA, told JOC.com last July.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
The only thing that they crank out more of right now is almonds and you can bet that if needed Mexico could step up.

Almonds are a big part of their water problem. They require much more water than other crops

Maybe if they didn't guzzle so much nut milk it wouldn't be an issue

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty sure those midwest states wastefully growing corn for conversion into alcohol that goes into gasoline could makeup the difference from CA if we just dump that silly charade. Alcohol in gasoline is a huge mistake.

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Pretty sure those midwest states wastefully growing corn for conversion into alcohol that goes into gasoline could makeup the difference from CA if we just dump that silly charade. Alcohol in gasoline is a huge mistake.

Much of that soil has been so screwed up by decades of corn production that about all that will grow without artificial minerals and “fertilizers” are thistles and shitty hay.

They try the soybean/alfalfa/flax/corn/CRP repeat program but it’s not working. Hence the overproduction of corn and the magical ethanol....

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my wife’s family farm in Nebraska they turn corn into steaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

beef is vegetarian

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

beef is vegetarian

Yup.

A bacon cheeseburger is just super processed vegetables!

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

California is such a petulant child

PG&E faces sanctions, refund demands, in wake of blackouts
http://www.mercurynews.com/pge-must-pay-for-the-intentional-power-blackouts-gov-newsom

Quote:
Newsom said that the company should provide rebates of $100 to residential customers and $250 to business customers affected by the power outages.

Um. You sued them into bankruptcy. Where is this money supposed to come from? Oh, right. It will be passed along to rate payers

Brilliant

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
California is such a petulant child

PG&E faces sanctions, refund demands, in wake of blackouts
http://www.mercurynews.com/pge-must-pay-for-the-intentional-power-blackouts-gov-newsom

Quote:
Newsom said that the company should provide rebates of $100 to residential customers and $250 to business customers affected by the power outages.

Um. You sued them into bankruptcy. Where is this money supposed to come from? Oh, right. It will be passed along to rate payers

Brilliant

Wheres that like button?

Do justice. Love mercy.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3