Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: WW1 Navy Recruiting Poster Appraisals

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:27 pm

new daddy wrote:Fly to Vegas and get on Pawn Stars.

They will offer less than half of what it’s worth. Might be fun for the experience, so I guess there’s value in that

I have a lifelong friend that would know the ballpark that the poster would be in but because it’s signed it’s a one off, or one of a very few. That will push it into uncharted territory

You’re Ahab looking for a whale. The poster is one of a kind but the people that appreciate the significance of it are aging

You also might look into donating it to a museum. Depending on your financial situation it might be worth more as a tax write off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Something else to take into account, I suppose is this: Do you have any kind of Certificate of Authenticity in regards to her autograph? Just taking your word (I trust you completely, mind you) that she’s the model for it doesn’t mean it’s worth any more than the poster itself.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 am

No certificate...

But here's the history...https://apnews.com/0c9ac862ae0bfb9cc4fbb08573c8dc28

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks for the link, Don! This is interesting.

I hope you've got that story printed, in case the link goes dead.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:57 am

MadPick wrote:Thanks for the link, Don! This is interesting.

I hope you've got that story printed, in case the link goes dead.

That's only 1 of many links Steve, If you google Bernice Smith Tongate you'll get a bunch of links.

She was very well known for her having posed and then actually getting the Navy to change it's policies towards women.

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:19 pm

MadPick wrote:I can't help answer the question . . . but having one that was signed by her and given by her is FREAKING COOL!!!

This....and Contact IMA USA.

https://www.ima-usa.com/

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:16 pm

WOW nice piece of history...

what would really be nice is to get a pic of Mrs. tongate holding that now

to that ASSHATS that put her down from love ones were lost, they volunteered not force to join
Post a reply