Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Marijuana and Psycosis 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An interesting article in the newspaper (yes, real paper) called the Epoch Times. (apparently lots of Chinese ex-pat writers/founder) Also avaiable on-line https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-link- ... 41804.html

Interview with a woman who heads an organization (another Mom's organization called Momstrong) trying to educate on the ability of marijuana, especially today's higher strength product, to exacerbate existing or latent mental illness and psychosis.

Calls to attention that schizophrenics who use marijuana are more prone to violence... made a correlation to the recent shootings/murders in El Paso TX and Dayton OH and marijuana use. And claims that suicidal tendencies may also be aggravated...

Seems to be a current trend to be depressed and it is popular meme to be wishing for one's own immanent demise...

So, my question is: will the legalization and wider use of cannabis bring more of these events which will then be used as a cause, not to re-criminalize weed, but to further demonize and restrict gun ownership? EDIT: will the correlations to violent psychosis and weed, if any, be suppressed and ignored in the process?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Calls to attention that schizophrenics who use marijuana are more prone to violence...

All the pot heads I know become extremely lazy SOB's that would rather play with a cockroach than kill it.
:popcorn:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On marijuana and psychosis: Psychoactive substance can exacerbate mental issues. No news there. That, at face value, means nothing if marijuana is specifically being called out due to its recently-legal status. The focus will increase if it becomes fully (federally) legal.

Such a tenuous connection could absolutely be used to demonize and restrict gun ownership, but let’s not forget that reefer madness, like gun control, was originally cooked up as a means of controlling minority groups. Seems reasonable that it can be used to control other groups as well. Like most, if not all political arguments, it all depends on how you frame it.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Quote:
Calls to attention that schizophrenics who use marijuana are more prone to violence...

All the pot heads I know become extremely lazy SOB's that would rather play with a cockroach than kill it.
Maybe the potheads you know aren't schizophrenics?

Seems like a very specific subset of people, schizophrenics who use THC.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because we need more reasons to demonize schizophrenia?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A while back, I did quite a bit of research on MJ for investment purposes.....

While the research is mostly preliminary, but its all pointing to a strong link between chronic MJ use and psychosis and schizophrenia. The research mostly suggests about a 25 percent increase in schizophrenia diagnosis in regions where MJ has been legalized (like Seattle). Additionally, many schizophrenia patients end up homeless, so it impacts the homeless issue. They started seeing these increase in about 2014, after MJ began getting legalized in regions that legalized.

I don’t remember the name of the theory (multi-source or idiopathic?), but the basic idea was that everyone is prone to some type of psychosis or schizophrenia. Chronic MJ use “:can be” the trigger that activates that problem. That’s why some people have no problem with MJ use, but a certain percentage of the population is going to have issues. What exacerbates is that the people who are having problems can be just fine for the first 109 times, but on usage 110, they trigger their schizophrenia. As the trigger is different for everyone, its like playing Russian Roulette.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
AR15L wrote:
Quote:

Maybe the potheads you know aren't schizophrenics?

Seems like a very specific subset of people, schizophrenics who use THC.

Sounds reasonable.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:28 am

Well weed can make you paranoid. That's a pretty bold claim to say it the.reason someone shot up a wamart

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:42 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:

So, my question is: will the legalization and wider use of cannabis bring more of these events which will then be used as a cause, not to re-criminalize weed, but to further demonize and restrict gun ownership? EDIT: will the correlations to violent psychosis and weed, if any, be suppressed and ignored in the process?

Well, obviously no. It’s illegal to purchase a gun if you’re a user of substances the federal government has deemed illegal (ie. Marijuana). So clearly people who smoke pot cant buy guns. I mean, come on. It’s against the law.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:52 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you vape THC (dab), you can go cray cray. Seen that in person, not fun.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:11 pm
Profile WWW

Massivedesign wrote:
If you vape THC (dab), you can go cray cray. Seen that in person, not fun.

Shatter and wax can be really bad for people, some is 95% thc.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Marijuana use does contribute to psychosis, especially in young adults.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

Well, obviously no. It’s illegal to purchase a gun if you’re a user of substances the federal government has deemed illegal (ie. Marijuana). So clearly people who smoke pot cant buy guns. I mean, come on. It’s against the law.

I see what ya did there, well played sir, well played.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pot is not good for you, bottom line.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Pot is not good for you, bottom line.

Nothing is good for you.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:30 pm