Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

LF: labrador to rescue/rehome or good rescue shelters

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:20 pm

I have been checking various petfinder websites and they are all out of state dogs to be shipped here. I refuse to do that, not fair to the dog or my family. I want hands-on adpotion so we can be sure family and dog are a good match. Humane Society and the two shelters I got my last dogs from have nothing of interest almost all pitbulls. What I am looking for is a local Labrador retriever that needs a new home. The dog will got to a loving home that includes their dog in all activities and provides constant interaction.

I have rescued 2 labs from local shelters over the last 20yrs and have been lucky enough for them to overlap for a few months. We got Nellie when she was only 8mos old, and I had planned to do the same when Nellie started to slow down. I find the older dog helps the younger transition into family (pack) life and the younger pup sometimes improves health of the older one. It also greatly helps the family healing process. That opportunity was stolen from us early this week by Cancer. Nellie very suddenly stopped eating like normal Sat and was not up around and her normal self. Late Sunday evening I could tell she was not feeling well, so we got her in as soon as we could Monday. Her Spleen was covered with cancer and she was in significant discomfort so we had to put her to rest. She was 11yrs 2 mos old and simply the best dog I have ever known in my almost 50yrs.
FUCK CANCER! :cussing:

I have a few criteria and am going to be picky as I am providing a forever home and want dog and family happy. I was lucky with Nellie in terms of stumbling on her in a rescue shelter. But I learned from raising her some things I plan to repeat if possible to make sure whatever dog I chose becomes part of the family.
Age is a big one, my goal would be <=1yr, up to 2 years max.
Has to be Cat compatible.
Prefer yellow color and female, but not picky on that for the right age/temperment.

If someone you know has a pup that turns out to be gun shy, or can't track, to hard a mouth for birding, or whatever, let me know. I have a 1 acre fenced yard, box full of tennis balls, a warm bed and endless amounts of love to offer a pup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LF: labrador to rescue/rehome or good rescue shelters

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 pm

So sorry to hear about your pup. I dread the day one of ours gets there.

We have adopted all of our dogs. The most recent (Gunner) came from TX through an adoption agency.

You will likely find that many of the dogs in shelters here are also transferred from high kill areas like CA and TX. They generally have partnerships with other shelters to trade animals.

It took me quite a while to find Gunner- I wanted an ACD, but it had to be good with cats which is tough in that breed. I just kept looking until he popped up one day.

Pet finder is nice because you can search lots of shelters at once, but not every agency lists there so picking a few bigger shelters to watch directly is good too.

Pitbulls/Staffordshire terriers can make great family dogs too. Just sayin!

Good luck in your search!

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 pm

You might try contacting the local breed rescue group here: https://www.pslra.org/find-a-labrador/rescue-program/ Even if they don't have any dogs in need of rehoming right now they can keep an eye out for you.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:38 pm

I got my Lab GSP mix from a rescue place in Auburn that brings in puppies from high kill shelters in California. She had several pups from the same litter and arranged a home visit with a few at once so we could feel it out and not commit until we knew when/if we found the one. Dont rule an of state puppy out, it might be another hoop or two to jump through but good boys like this can be found.

Good luck with your search bud.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks folks I really appreciate the input. I honestly love the concept of getting dogs out of high kill shelters and even changing states. I actually found two yellow labs I was very interested in.

BUT they were both STILL in TX and the way the listing read was basically I apply, if accepted I pay and they transfer the dog up and it is mine. Just not a fan of that. Personality and temperment is too big a factor to not have an in person meet and greet/Playtime.

L_O_G wrote:I got my Lab GSP mix from a rescue place in Auburn that brings in puppies from high kill shelters in California. She had several pups from the same litter and arranged a home visit with a few at once so we could feel it out and not commit until we knew when/if we found the one. Dont rule an of state puppy out, it might be another hoop or two to jump through but good boys like this can be found.

Good luck with your search bud.

Any chance you remember the name of that shelter? I have found a similar sort of place in Tacoma that brings them in from Mexico.

mislabeled wrote:You might try contacting the local breed rescue group here: https://www.pslra.org/find-a-labrador/rescue-program/ Even if they don't have any dogs in need of rehoming right now they can keep an eye out for you.

I will check that out in the morning.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:03 pm

They YL recommends that you check out www.doggoneSeattle.org
One of her coworkers is very involved with them.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 pm

I have the adoption file in my safe, Ill dig it out tomorrow and drop you a pm.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 pm

dreadi wrote:They YL recommends that you check out http://www.doggoneSeattle.org

Look at this one.
https://www.doggoneseattle.org/adoptabl ... Index_0=44

From a litter of 8, they have males and females.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm

We got our dog through Saving Great Animals: https://savinggreatanimals.org/ She's a lab/whippet mix (who knows really, we don't care)

Looks like they have some black lab mixes and an older yellow lab right now. It's always changing though

dreadi wrote:They YL recommends that you check out http://www.doggoneSeattle.org

Hey, aren't you traveling to pick up a bike sometime soon?

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pm

I have a friend in Tacoma I think works in that field and messaged her.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:37 am

Thanks all, keep them coming if you have more ideas!!

usrifle wrote:

Look at this one.
https://www.doggoneseattle.org/adoptabl ... Index_0=44

From a litter of 8, they have males and females.

Very cute, and looks like they just got in a Yellow female from another litter as well, a few tri-color lab mixes as well. As much as I dislike Seattle might have to call them and make a trip up this weekend.
Last edited by lamrith on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:54 am

We got our German Shepard / Rottweiler mix through adoption day at Pets Mart. Those too were from out of state from high kill areas. We got to meet the dogs and cats up close and observe their personalities. Once or twice a month they do this.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 am

danoh wrote:We got our German Shepard / Rottweiler mix through adoption day at Pets Mart. Those too were from out of state from high kill areas. We got to meet the dogs and cats up close and observe their personalities. Once or twice a month they do this.

Thanks Danoh, looks like Petsmart has an event this weekend.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am

What are folks thoughts on Male vs Female? I have not owned a male dog since I was a kid, so I am not sure what to expect with them. Whatever dog I get would be neutered (our females were spayed) as I have no intention of breeding, I am looking for a family companion. Does that mellow the males out quite a bit? Any behavioral/attitude difference Neutered male versus a female dog that folks can share?

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:37 am

lamrith wrote:What are folks thoughts on Male vs Female? I have not owned a male dog since I was a kid, so I am not sure what to expect with them. Whatever dog I get would be neutered (our females were spayed) as I have no intention of breeding, I am looking for a family companion. Does that mellow the males out quite a bit? Any behavioral/attitude difference Neutered male versus a female dog that folks can share?

I spoke with someone who works at a shelter. She claimed that when a cat is spayed/neutered it will retain the personality it has up until then. Which has been the case with my neurotic cat. I would have to assume its similar to dogs. So, if the dog was hyper to begin with and aged a few years before being neutered it will remain hyper.

The above is not scientific. just tossing in $.02 that I got from someone else.

Sad to hear the loss of your pup. Beautiful doggie. Good luck on your search for your new family member.
Post a reply