General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: Steilacoom Road Rage

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 am

The real problem are guns.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:12 am

Pablo wrote:The real problem are guns.

That's exactly what gun control proponents say. Shit like this doesn't help.
Last edited by Rix86 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:17 am

Rix86 wrote:

Yep. So despite Troyer's mumbling we need to get the facts and show living guy was defending himself......lets
Let's see where this goes.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:42 am

leadcounsel wrote:"Authorities say the best thing to do during a road rage incident is to ignore the person and call 911 if they persist on threatening you."

That's a very simplistic notion. Ignoring a person and calling 911 doesn't do much because situations are likely resolved, for better or worse, long before police arrive.

Here's better advice.

1. Avoid causing road rage, or participating. Follow all traffic laws. Road rage is almost always due to SLOW DRIVERS, drivers cruising in a passing lane, failure to signal, failure to merge efficiently, etc. and other things that REALLY F-ing irritate people in a hurry or on a tight time schedule. SLOW INCONSIDERATE drivers are probably 50% of the cause of traffic congestion.

Don't aggravate road ragers. Today, I had a assclown tailgating me and swerving around. I simply pulled off and let him pass. Funny that we both got stuck at the next two lights within the next 2 miles. Whatever. He was in a hurry, and I let him pass.

Not justifying road rage, but there's a sense of contributory negligence. ONE slow driver in the left lane can cause 50 people to be late for work or meetings or appointments. That's a lot of really ticked off people because ONE person can't drive correctly.

2. It's a good idea to spend even $50 on a front facing video recording camera. Even better to get a second rearward facing one. This could be a life saver in any road range incident.

I agree with all of this. The passive aggressiveness/obliviousness to the world around my by people driving cars is mind boggling. I like to drive fast. If someone is driving faster than me, I want him in front of me. I'll move over as soon as can and let them by. My kids will then shout "We got bait!" On I-5, I constantly see people in the left lane driving at or under the speed limit while a long line of cars streams by them on the right side. If you're on a hill, you can see the blockage on the free way.

Of course, that brings up one of my favorite points - We let people who aren't smart enough to understand "Keep Right Except to Pass" make life altering decisions.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:59 am

While I had no formal training for a road rage incident, my plan was to keep driving if possible and call 911 if the person continues to be a threat and won’t go away, but if your car is blocked then get out of the car, but retreat behind the car and keep the car between you and the other person. You are a sitting duck in a car that is blocked. Normal training teaches you to find cover if possible.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:14 am

new daddy wrote:
I agree with all of this. The passive aggressiveness/obliviousness to the world around my by people driving cars is mind boggling. I like to drive fast. If someone is driving faster than me, I want him in front of me. I'll move over as soon as can and let them by. My kids will then shout "We got bait!"

HAHA We call them the Rabbit in my family. "Sweet, we got a rabbit, go clear the way for us!"

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 am

Speed limit is 35 but the damn Canadians are always walking in the road...especially on the Steilacoom side of the bridge next to the old Chip Mill.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 am

No need to EVER get out of your car.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 am

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 am

That's why my EDC is loaded with FMJs.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Pablo wrote:
Rix86 wrote:

Yep. So despite Troyer's mumbling we need to get the facts and show living guy was defending himself......lets
Let's see where this goes.

Troyer cannot say what actually happened till the dust settles.

He was not on site when it happened.

He was just on Dory Monson...you are correct .

The car following the aggressive driver had at least two occupants.

The Passenger in this car is the CPL that "finished" the altercation.

He wont be charged for defending himself.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:49 pm

We also let people who aren't smart enough to understand a posted speed limit sign make life altering decisions. Slow down, you will live longer.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Clark Kent wrote:We also let people who aren't smart enough to understand a posted speed limit sign make life altering decisions. Slow down, you will live longer.

Name one person whom speed has killed or even injured.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

new daddy wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:We also let people who aren't smart enough to understand a posted speed limit sign make life altering decisions. Slow down, you will live longer.

Name one person whom speed has killed or even injured.

I don't recall names, but I can think of a few cases in my short tenure in the EMS world where, if speed limits had been followed more closely, injuries incurred could've been reduced significantly in severity, if not avoided outright.

Speed in and of itself does not cause injuries or death. But it is a significant contributing factor.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm

It’s not the speed that kills. It’s the sudden impact.
Post a reply