Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 West coast exodus? Idaho bound apparently.. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Top 5 - Best Gun-Friendly States
Arizona.
Idaho.
Alaska.
Kansas.
Oklahoma.
:bigsmile:

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

molot wrote:
I spent a bunch of time in northern Idaho last year and met with a wide range of people. Almost all of the refugees from the blue states that I met - even the white collar tech workers with money - are conservatives.

Boise is different to north Idaho, but I think Idaho has done a good job of discouraging woke Californians from moving there. The transgender laws are a good example.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/sports/cal ... 0424af9fc5

This article implies that what I observed was correct. The people looking at Idaho are like myself, refugees of the blue virus, not the infected.

https://www.boisestate.edu/bluereview/d ... nia-idaho/

Quote:
The Californians who have moved to Idaho are not especially liberal as a group (22% identify as liberal), with a narrow majority identifying as conservative (54%). If anything, Californians coming to Idaho are more conservative than native Idahoans.

I'm heeding the warnings and it's an ever present concern.

But this article has largely been my experience. In my conversations with people I've met, nearly all of them hate liberals and leftists. Even the transplants coming here seem to be conservative in my anectdotal experience.

This state is not a typical woke leftist haven, and has taken measures to make it less friendly or desirable to those left coast types who just got a $2 million profit from a home sale or insurance payout. They're typically buying up properties in woke Oregon coast, woke Washington coast, woke Denver, woke Salt Lake, or the SW coast of Texas, or much closer woke Nevada, or woke ski resort area of Jackson Wyoming.

I'm not dismissing a concern, as Boise is blue... it is a present worry on my mind, trust me.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Arizona.
Idaho.
Alaska.
Kansas.
Oklahoma.

Oklahoma was on my short list... the Ozarks would be awesome!

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Arizona.
Idaho.
Alaska.
Kansas.
Oklahoma.

Oklahoma was on my short list... the Ozarks would be awesome!

Been eyeballing the Grove area recently. For $200k, you can get yourself a nice, quiet corner of a river, a dock, and neighbors that will probably leave you alone.

Tempting. Very tempting.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://youtu.be/HEI3GIU5m3s

Housing market crash...

Last edited by surevaliance on Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
I'm heeding the warnings and it's an ever present concern.

But this article has largely been my experience. In my conversations with people I've met, nearly all of them hate liberals and leftists. Even the transplants coming here seem to be conservative in my anectdotal experience.

This state is not a typical woke leftist haven, and has taken measures to make it less friendly or desirable to those left coast types who just got a $2 million profit from a home sale or insurance payout. They're typically buying up properties in woke Oregon coast, woke Washington coast, woke Denver, woke Salt Lake, or the SW coast of Texas, or much closer woke Nevada, or woke ski resort area of Jackson Wyoming.

I'm not dismissing a concern, as Boise is blue... it is a present worry on my mind, trust me.

Agreed, you would be foolish to let your guard down.

I like some of the ideas in this thread about putting more protections into the Idaho constitution so they can't be undone by future blue majorities in Boise.

With all the craziness in Seattle at the moment, I suspect a lot more people will be looking at Idaho in 2021.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Confirmed
Attachment:
boiseseattle.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Arizona.
Idaho.
Alaska.
Kansas.
Oklahoma.

there is a kink in your hose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6aLWuJSaRw

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no safe haven from tyranny, even in Idaho:

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2020/09 ... n=20200924

Arrested for not wearing a mask at a prayer gathering/protest of masking order.

“We backed you guys” (the police) at recent Black Lives Matter protests advocating to defund the police. “They didn’t send you [to enforce social distancing] with BLM to go do that when they said defund you guys. We backed you guys.”

“I got booked in jail; I was in jail for about two hours,” he said. “And as they were de-booking me, or whatever they call it, I’m walking out and I go by their office, which is right next to where I’m getting booked out. And there’s three deputies in the officer (sic), and two of them aren’t wearing masks and sitting right next to each other. And I said, ‘hey, should they get arrested?'”

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
There is no safe haven from tyranny, even in Idaho:

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2020/09 ... n=20200924

Arrested for not wearing a mask at a prayer gathering/protest of masking order.

“We backed you guys” (the police) at recent Black Lives Matter protests advocating to defund the police. “They didn’t send you [to enforce social distancing] with BLM to go do that when they said defund you guys. We backed you guys.”

“I got booked in jail; I was in jail for about two hours,” he said. “And as they were de-booking me, or whatever they call it, I’m walking out and I go by their office, which is right next to where I’m getting booked out. And there’s three deputies in the officer (sic), and two of them aren’t wearing masks and sitting right next to each other. And I said, ‘hey, should they get arrested?'”

Finally, people are waking up.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Idaho is where I want to move. Fuck Washington.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/great ... newsletter

The Great Conservative Migration.

Hopefully the conservatives moving out will outnumber the liberals fleeing Silicon Valley.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm

leadcounsel wrote:
From what little I've seen the natives in Idaho are less likely/willing to rollover than the natives in other now-blue states. Folks also have the benefit of hindsight and seeing what the locusts have done to CA, OR, WA, etc. With the low state populations, of under 2 million, there is a risk here. A big defense to that is important pro-gun folks. So I welcome anyone pro-gun moving here, honestly. If you're anti-gun, you aren't welcome.

I've met a lot of pro-gun folks here and I really really like it...

There's always a risk but Idaho has been doing terrific things.
* 2014 - passed a law banning new federal gun control and not supporting it with local resources
* 2018/2019/2020 - passed a host of pro-gun laws including castle doctrine and every adult (resident and non-resident) enjoys the right of Constitutional carry.
* 2019 - entire state is declared pro-gun sanctuary.
* Ranks second only to Arizona in 2A friendly states in the annual gun-rag polling.

Other measures I'm not remembering at the moment.

As for taxes, I did a thorough review and comparison on taxes. Idaho is overall on par with Washington, maybe a bit less. Graduated income tax capped at 7%, very cheap vehicle and gas taxes, 6% sales tax. So it depends on what your needs are. Overall I feel less taxed here than WA, even with the income tax. WA raped me on my home sale, which was not cool...

The reality is that a state has to collect taxes in one form or another.

The city of Boise is left of center and elected Democrat leaders. I think one finds that cancer in most major metro areas. However, there may be a demographic change with colleges either closing or going out of business or doing more remote learning so urban living isn't a requirement. For instance, Concordia University in Boise just went under... Universities attract liberals. Remove the former and you remove the latter to a degree... Time will tell.

Unlike many major metro areas, Boise has had minimal leftist nonsense or protests. We shall see what the future holds. But I like my odds a lot better in this state than probably all or most of the former 8 states in which I've lived... And I'd far rather be in Idaho than Washington during these next decades...

concordia university are private lutheran colleges. one less of those is more space for colleges like evergreen state college.
we have gone to the Boise Basque Fesitvals yearly since the 1960s
it has changed like all other larger cities change. too many people packed tight like sardines
and what are individual freedoms are sacrificed for the good of the flocks.

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/great-conservative-migration-and-what-it-means-future?utm_campaign=&utm_content=ZeroHedge%3A+The+Durden+Dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zh_newsletter

Hopefully the conservatives moving out will outnumber the liberals fleeing Silicon Valley.

There were a couple of folks here that were doing a petition to get medical MJ on the ballot here some time ago. When asked if they were locals they responded by saying they had recently moved from WA. Last week, I was following a Subaru with CA tags and a Bernie sticker near Cambridge. They seem to be moving to certain areas. You know you are in trouble when Cambridge is a town of maybe 500 and they are putting in HOAs and covenants on scrub pasture land.

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/great-conservative-migration-and-what-it-means-future?utm_campaign=&utm_content=ZeroHedge%3A+The+Durden+Dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zh_newsletter

There were a couple of folks here that were doing a petition to get medical MJ on the ballot here some time ago. When asked if they were locals they responded by saying they had recently moved from WA. Last week, I was following a Subaru with CA tags and a Bernie sticker near Cambridge. They seem to be moving to certain areas. You know you are in trouble when Cambridge is a town of maybe 500 and they are putting in HOAs and covenants on scrub pasture land.

The tech crowd is really distorting the economies of small town/rural America. THEY can telecommute and still earn their urban salaries. Meanwhile they are buying up rural land, driving up prices which the local minimum wagers can ill-afford. And with the demands for urban amenities they will drive up taxes in those areas.

FJB

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next