Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Pop up canopy advice needed 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone have experience with pop up canopies? stuff that visually looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Out ... B077HH9JY4

Budget is about $150, and I need to take mostly sun and wind into consideration, with the occasional rain, or maybe hail. Something with sandbags or weights seems like it would be best.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought 3 10’X 10’ Ez-Ups at Sportco about 5 years ago for $100 ea. They’re sturdy and watertight. Heavy wind will be a factor with any style of canopy like that. They’re basically a large sail. When camping, if the winds are bad, I just take them down. I also bought some zip-in side panels for them. Makes a nice kitchen tent in hunting/fishing camp. Image

Last edited by Breck on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We bought a 13'x13' Coleman pop-up canopy at Costco a month ago for about $130 + tax. We used it camping in the rain, and we were very happy with it. The top of the canopy is vented, so it really helps with mitigating wind effects. Sandbags would be helpful if it's really windy, but I actually prefer cinder blocks. Definitely don't cheap out on these things...stay away from the $50 Walmart junk.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Breck wrote:
I bought 3 10’X 10’ Ez-Ups at Sportco about 5 years ago for $100 ea. They’re sturdy and watertight. Heavy wind will be a factor with any style of canopy like that. They’re basically a large sail. When camping, if the winds are bad, I just take them down. I also bought some zip-in side panels for them. Makes a nice kitchen tent in hunting/fishing camp.

Sweet....and the Zip in sides are nice, wish mine had that option.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
We bought a 13'x13' Coleman pop-up canopy at Costco a month ago for about $130 + tax. We used it camping in the rain, and we were very happy with it. The top of the canopy is vented, so it really helps with mitigating wind effects. Sandbags would be helpful if it's really windy, but I actually prefer cinder blocks. Definitely don't cheap out on these things...stay away from the $50 Walmart junk.

Costco is a good suggestion. 13 x 13 and vented is probably good in this humid climate

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had good experience with the Caravan canopies they have carried at Costco. I've used them for both personal and business. The tops are 500D instead of the 300D on the Amazon item you linked to. Also, if something does happen - high wind, tree limb falls on it, etc - you can get parts to repair / rebuild the frame.

The Costco business center locations are running a special that comes with 3 side walls (1 zippered), in a nice rolling bag, for $179. Even small details like their oversized "bigfoot" foot pads are a nice upgrade. IMHO, I think it's a FAR better deal than what you're looking at.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/caravan-canopy-alumashade-bigfoot-canopy%2C-10l-x-10w-x-11h%2C-white.product.11938006.html

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip wrote:
I've had good experience with the Caravan canopies they have carried at Costco. I've used them for both personal and business. The tops are 500D instead of the 300D on the Amazon item you linked to. Also, if something does happen - high wind, tree limb falls on it, etc - you can get parts to repair / rebuild the frame.

The Costco business center locations are running a special that comes with 3 side walls (1 zippered), in a nice rolling bag, for $179. Even small details like their oversized "bigfoot" foot pads are a nice upgrade. IMHO, I think it's a FAR better deal than what you're looking at.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/caravan-canopy-alumashade-bigfoot-canopy%2C-10l-x-10w-x-11h%2C-white.product.11938006.html

that looks cool, unfortunately costco business isn't in my area, and won't deliver.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:

I’ve bought a couple of these. I set it up on my deck in May/June every year and take it down in September. This is not its intended use, but the canopy will last about 3 years if you’re super careful. Expect to add a couple of pieces of duct tape the third year.

Only downside is you can’t buy replacement canopies for it. Costco will often have them on sale for $110 and the Coleman canopies that are similar run about $80, so its not a big deal.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Chip wrote:

that looks cool, unfortunately costco business isn't in my area, and won't deliver.

Well, at $205 I know it's a bit over your budget target, but it is on Amazon Prime, and their pkg comes with all 4 walls:
https://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Canopy-CAB10010-Alumashade-Instant/dp/B01N6W9G19

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought one of these earlier this year and like it a lot. The frame is powder coated and thick, so it’s going to last a long time. The buttons have with a plastic cover thing which makes them really easy to press when setting up/taking down. The fabric canopy is also a sturdy material. I’m really happy with the purchase.

ABCCANOPY Pop up Canopy Tent Commercial Instant Shelter with Wheeled Carry Bag, Bonus 4 Canopy Sand Bags, 10x10 FT (Burgundy) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AQJ0VK8/ ... cFb8VGV1YP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bite the bullet and spend the money, this part hurts but at least it only hurts once where as the $100-$150 ones hurt every year or two.

Look up Eurmax.......couple of cost levels but the stuff is way more heavy duty than the crap from all the rest...PLUS each and every piece is replacable so when the wind grabs it and busts a leg...you just buy a new leg, NOT a whole new canopy. The stuff is pretty stout to begin with though !!

10 x15 isnt much more than a 10x10 and you can even buy a "gutter" piece to connect two together when you buddy gets one and still keep things dry. Multiple colors to choose from

comes with a stout, wheeled carrying case. Good deals on these will show up on amazon from time to time and may get free screen walls

Check them out, you wont be disappointed

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco has white with walls and a banner for farmers and such. Had one for 7 years, lots of camping and heavy use. Several friends have the same.
Some members here were under them a few weeks ago at our Quaran-Swine, they are awesome. ~$200 for a top of the line canopy. I swear you could turn it upside down and row across a lake with them.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

King Canopy is the best built on the market. I used a 10x15 King for many years for my portable photography field studio and I still have it.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
King Canopy is the best built on the market. I used a 10x15 King for many years for my portable photography field studio and I still have it.

which one? looks like they mostly have semi-permanent ones for cars and such. I'm looking for pop up ones for sporting events, camping, gardening, etc.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]