Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Boeing is out 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rayjax82 wrote:
shaggy wrote:
rayjax82 wrote:
I'm at Onamac and we picked up a few of those AMT guys too. Where are you at?

I'm at the monroe AMT(unrelated) we do medical stuff. Out here in monroe there isnt very many shops left.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:31 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I think unions can be good for some but rarely all in an employment field.

I was probably 21 when all of this unfolded.

I've never worked in a union, though I have worked for an employer that was very antiunion. When I went to work there (this like 2009era) they had promised me a salary in the $45,000 range which was way more than my measly $14,000ish with OT ($12/hr) at my previous place that billed me at $95/hr.

Sadly $12 is minimum WA Law now. Anyway, after sticking it out at $650/wk ($33,800) and getting only commission raises that I would have to bust my ass for, I began to understand why it was the way it was with unions. I could see some of the abuse. They had a higher position available too and drug their feet on giving that to me and suddenly when I put in my notice they wanted me to stay and take the promotion and I pretty much told them to fuck off. It would have paid about the original $45k with extra work.

I am now self employed making a great income AND and I can work as much or little as I want- a fact that has been incredibly helpful given my current health condition.

I cant think of anything else better.

So, I cliff notes version: when a company starts to treat its employees poorly, union excitement will build. If the company just does what's right then it is incredibly unlikely the union will ever get in there to begin with, especially among smaller employers. Just not enough money in it for the unions.

Second, the real negative I see is that unions protect the young,dumb, stupid of the group and holds everyone to that level instead writing them up with the employer involved, creating documentation on why to fire them and facilitating that. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. I dont understand why the union wants someone in a group that isn't doing their work. Hell, I've seen them protect people who actually stole from their employer. Come on!

Didn't matter much to me, I worked 3 jobs at the time and went to school. I was reallllly tired all the time. Lots of coffee and sodenand water or water.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My problem with unions is they stomp out "free" competition and then suck all the money out of an industry.

As i mentioned i have new hires at $15 an hr, learing a trade that pays into mabey the $30's(i'm a boss i make that) and competing with entry level guys that make more than me.....

So the issue here is i cant draw anyone into the industry that makes less than amazon pays to huck boxes with a retard IQ

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zero fucks given to Boeing or the union

Long time friend came by my shop a bit ago to talk about guns. He just got fired from Boeing for apparently making racist comments three years ago

Union doesn't seem to be helping him. Boeing offered a severance package. He doesn't want to be there anymore after all that went down

Reminds me of this episode of south park:

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/1dy34j/south-park-molesteration

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Zero fucks given to Boeing or the union

Long time friend came by my shop a bit ago to talk about guns. He just got fired from Boeing for apparently making racist comments three years ago

Union doesn't seem to be helping him. Boeing offered a severance package. He doesn't want to be there anymore after all that went down

Reminds me of this episode of south park:

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/1dy34j/south-park-molesteration

Sometimes not even the Union can help depending on what went down. I doubt he was fired for Racist comments 3 years prior though, there might be more to that story.
It is odd that they offered a severance package, when people get fired from Boeing that is not the usual case.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, Boeing doesn’t offer severance packages if you’re fired....(actually, most companies don’t).

And if it’s an actionable, fireable, offense, they don’t wait 3 years.

I have my own issues with how unions are run, but this scenario is missing something...

Not a shot at Rocketscott at all, he’s a good dude :thumbsup2:

Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Yeah, Boeing doesn’t offer severance packages if you’re fired....(actually, most companies don’t).

And if it’s an actionable, fireable, offense, they don’t wait 3 years.

I have my own issues with how unions are run, but this scenario is missing something...

Agreed on all points. I have been at the Company almost 25 years, that isn't how things are done there. Again, there must be more to that story.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

No offense taken by any of you guys. I realize I’m only hearing his side of things

I asked the appropriate amount of questions as a concerned friend plus a few more because ‘ok, what really happened’

The way he explains it he was given the choice of fighting it or taking a week of severance for every year that he’s been there. Seven week

They wouldn’t tell him specifics of the incident so no real way to defend against it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5