Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Just sold a gun on gunbroker. Am I about to be scammed? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman loves to use USPS MO for a lot of different purchases not just gun related. I’m just old school. :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Caveman loves to use USPS MO for a lot of different purchases not just gun related. I’m just old school. :wink05:
Strippers get a little weird with it though

Just sayin’ in case someone else tries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:09 pm

Oxblood wrote:
Sold a glock 27 that I stopped carrying a while ago. I am not really in the business of selling guns, so to keep things simple, I stated in my ad that I only accept paypal.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the first message I get from the winning bidder is 'I don't use paypal, will you take a money order?'

I 'think' if I wait until I receive the money order and cash it to ship, I am not going to get scammed, but am I missing something?

I've bought a few guns from Gunbroker, all sellers I've used accepted only postal money orders, and they absolutely will not ship a gun until they get the postal money order in their hot little hands, and cash it. That's the accepted practice by buyers and sellers.

Gunbroker sucks by the way, but probably more for buyers than sellers. Also their dispute resolution is maybe one cut above trying to contact mark cocksuckerberg's Facebook resolution team, which is zero.

Nevertheless, Gunbroker works for lots of people, I refuse to use it anymore as a buyer, but it has some merits and you can reach a larger audience. I've seen cool guns here on Waguns that go for weeks and weeks and weeks without getting bought, and at low prices, but we just don't have the audience here, whereas on Gunbroker you're gonna reach millions all over the USA.

Good luck.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've generally had good results on Gunbroker, mostly as a buyer, but a few sales in the past. You get whoever you get as a seller, but you can keep yourself safe by being picky as a buyer, if you're able.

I did take a chance recently on a USP40 tactical about two months ago. Seller only have 5 feedback. All positive, but still, kinda low. But it worked out in my case. Haven't gotten screwed yet.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive thought about having a gun shipped UPS and COD.

That way shows up/is paid for at the same time. Seems like it protects the buyer and seller.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would we assume a scam? I'd be concerned if it was vice-versa (I want a MO, they want to use PP).

I've used USPS MO and Gunbroker's proprietary system (which is so secure it's a PITA to use). I would never use PP, Venmo, or the rest with links to your bank account. I also use a simple Bill of Sale that addresses both the FFL and buyer's concerns. Never had any problems, but I only sell FTF, over well-established gun boards (like, uh, this one), or Gunbroker. Never ever sell or buy sight-unseen via sites like Armslist.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fishinpnw wrote:
Sounds fine to me. As long as the bank says your money is in the account, you should be good to do.

No! That's exactly how the Western Union money order scam worked (maybe still does, don't know if they've done anything about it). Money appears in your account, but after the MO finally gets back wherever it needed to go, they mark it as bad, and your bank pulls the money back out of your account.

Cash the MO at the post office, don't deposit it, and don't cash it at your bank on your account. They can and will hold you liable for those funds if it's a fraud.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dear Jack,

GunBroker.com will be implementing the new Marketplace Facilitator Internet Sales Tax regulations on January 1, 2021.

As a marketplace, GunBroker.com will be required to collect and remit sales tax on all sales according to the state law. State tax is calculated based on the ship to address of the order.

For details, check Marketplace Facilitator Sales Tax . Check back regularly for our most recent updates on the GunBroker.com Sales Tax process.

Thank you,

The Team at GunBroker.com

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:21 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

And the thread makes a hard left turn...

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3584ELK wrote:
And the thread makes a hard left turn...

Not to mention that the OP probably received his money long ago. It may already have been spent.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Edit: Aha responded to a necro thread. Anyway, will leave this here.

Don't use PayPal to sell guns or gun parts: The PayPal scam goes like this: You get the money via PayPal, you send the gun. The buyer then complains to PayPal that they didn't get the item, and PayPal opens a case. You *can't* argue your side of the case because you would have to reveal you were sending a gun, which will result in cancellation of your PayPal account. So you have to let the buyer get their refund, and you don't have the gun anymore.

So don't use PayPal.

Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2