Switch to full style
General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Quick question on winter in WA

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Wife and I are new to WA, moved here early this year and this will be our first winter. We're in Auburn which is about 30mins south of Seattle. I want to ask, does it get cold enough in this area that outdoor faucet will need to be protected to prevent it from freezing?

Thanks.

Re: Quick question on winter in WA

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Yes, get an insulated hose bib cover. Temps in the winter regularly dip down into the 20’s at night when we get a cold snap.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

Yup, install a frost free bib and your golden.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:20 pm

I grew up in Spokane. We never covered our facets. It actually snows there. Like real snow. And gets cold. Damn cold. What's up with covering faucets?

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 pm

snozzberries wrote:I grew up in Spokane. We never covered our facets. It actually snows there. Like real snow. And gets cold. Damn cold. What's up with covering faucets?

My brother owns a local plumbing company. They make a killing every year when we get a cold snap and busted pipes.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Just wrap them with a rag and put on one of these cheap foam covers. A lot cheaper than installing frost free hose bibs.

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-FC1-O ... 265&sr=8-7

I didn't know they had "Socks" and other covers though, lot's to choose from.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hose+bib+cov ... ts-a-p_1_8

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm

L_O_G wrote:
snozzberries wrote:I grew up in Spokane. We never covered our facets. It actually snows there. Like real snow. And gets cold. Damn cold. What's up with covering faucets?

My brother owns a local plumbing company. They make a killing every year when we get a cold snap and busted pipes.

So I wonder why nobody in Spokane ever does it. Never had a frozen pipe.

Just did some reading, sounds like they are only good for like 25F, when temps are above freezing during the day. It gets to 20F and stays that way for months in Spokane.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:27 pm

Sinus211 wrote:Yes, get an insulated hose bib cover. Temps in the winter regularly dip down into the 20’s at night when we get a cold snap.

^^^^ This
Unhook your hose and put one of those styrofoam covers over it and you will be fine.
If the time comes to replace your outdoor faucet. Then consider a frost free faucet.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Probably because everyone over there has frost free Hose Bibs. Older houses around here don't.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm

snozzberries wrote:
L_O_G wrote:

So I wonder why nobody in Spokane ever does it. Never had a frozen pipe.

Just did some reading, sounds like they are only good for like 25F, when temps are above freezing during the day. It gets to 20F and stays that way for months in Spokane.

Dunno. First winter in our Lynnwood house I left the bib uncovered after washing my truck and we hit some cold weather. The faucet head froze and the pressure blew out the valve. Luckily the slow leak it created is probably what saved the pipe itself from freezing and cracking.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:36 pm

He confirmed they are all built for freezing. Shuts the water off inside the house, not at the faucet.

Stupid that any faucet here isn't the same.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the quick response.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 pm

bigbearbear wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate the quick response.

Welcome to WA and welcomewgo

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Welcome, big bear!

Yeah, where you're at,winter isn't too bad, but yes, insulate that outside faucet. I'm not too far from you. Some winters we only have 1 or 2 days of snow, some more.

This one's a toss up. About every 3rd winter is tough here, last wasn't too bad, one before that was, so we shall see.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm

I've never done anything with my plumbing for winter.
Camper is a different story
Post a reply