It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Quick question on winter in WA 
Author Message
Online
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 43202
Real Name: Steve
Yep, I always turn the water off to the outside faucets, drain the line the best I can, and put the big foam nipple on it.

My worst experience was at the house in Kirkland where I used to live, where there was a faucet on the front of the garage. The water ran from the house (at the rear of the garage, along the inside of the garage wall, and to the faucet at the front of the garage. Yeah, that fucking pipe froze a few times, and I had to keep fixing it, which resulted in a number of scorch marks on the wall. :bigsmile:

I finally got smart and installed a shutoff back where the water entered the garage, and in the winter I turned it off and drained the garage part of the pipe.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:32 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14581
Real Name: John
MadPick wrote:
Yep, I always turn the water off to the outside faucets, drain the line the best I can, and put the big foam nipple on it.

My worst experience was at the house in Kirkland where I used to live, where there was a faucet on the front of the garage. The water ran from the house (at the rear of the garage, along the inside of the garage wall, and to the faucet at the front of the garage. Yeah, that fucking pipe froze a few times, and I had to keep fixing it, which resulted in a number of scorch marks on the wall. :bigsmile:

I finally got smart and installed a shutoff back where the water entered the garage, and in the winter I turned it off and drained the garage part of the pipe.


Soooo....the pipe was exposed on the inside of the Garage with no wall insulation? :popcorn:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 pm
Profile
Online
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 43202
Real Name: Steve
usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Yep, I always turn the water off to the outside faucets, drain the line the best I can, and put the big foam nipple on it.

My worst experience was at the house in Kirkland where I used to live, where there was a faucet on the front of the garage. The water ran from the house (at the rear of the garage, along the inside of the garage wall, and to the faucet at the front of the garage. Yeah, that fucking pipe froze a few times, and I had to keep fixing it, which resulted in a number of scorch marks on the wall. :bigsmile:

I finally got smart and installed a shutoff back where the water entered the garage, and in the winter I turned it off and drained the garage part of the pipe.


Soooo....the pipe was exposed on the inside of the Garage with no wall insulation? :popcorn:


Yup. There was insulation around the pipe (just the split foam stuff), but the garage itself was uninsulated.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14581
Real Name: John
MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Yep, I always turn the water off to the outside faucets, drain the line the best I can, and put the big foam nipple on it.

My worst experience was at the house in Kirkland where I used to live, where there was a faucet on the front of the garage. The water ran from the house (at the rear of the garage, along the inside of the garage wall, and to the faucet at the front of the garage. Yeah, that fucking pipe froze a few times, and I had to keep fixing it, which resulted in a number of scorch marks on the wall. :bigsmile:

I finally got smart and installed a shutoff back where the water entered the garage, and in the winter I turned it off and drained the garage part of the pipe.


Soooo....the pipe was exposed on the inside of the Garage with no wall insulation? :popcorn:


Yup. There was insulation around the pipe (just the split foam stuff), but the garage itself was uninsulated.


So much for the split foam Pipe insulation being effective, i am surprised by that.

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:28 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: WA
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020
Posts: 48
Sinus211 wrote:
bigbearbear wrote:
Thanks guys, appreciate the quick response.

Welcome to WA and welcomewgo


ViniVidivici wrote:
Welcome, big bear!

Yeah, where you're at,winter isn't too bad, but yes, insulate that outside faucet. I'm not too far from you. Some winters we only have 1 or 2 days of snow, some more.

This one's a toss up. About every 3rd winter is tough here, last wasn't too bad, one before that was, so we shall see.


Thanks, love it here, people in the neighborhood are so nice and the change in seasons are more pronounced here than back in CA where wife and I used to live. Odd as it might sound, I'm really looking forward to spending a winter here and I hope it snows. :bigsmile:


Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:42 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: Pierce County
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016
Posts: 1197
snozzberries wrote:
I grew up in Spokane. We never covered our facets. It actually snows there. Like real snow. And gets cold. Damn cold. What's up with covering faucets?



It's because houses built out in Spokane are built for the climate while houses built on this side of the mountains are usually built on the lowest bidder.


And winters aren't bad if you can handle the dark and the rain. It doesn't get 40 below out here like it does in the midwest. What gets people is the lack of sun drives most people crazy.


Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:04 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Location: Puyallup
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018
Posts: 1559
Big Bear, are you a ham operator? There's a repeater in Auburn I talk on. Actually you're in range of several.

_________________
I'm a Morlock, in a land of Eloi...


Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: olympia
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013
Posts: 3564
I have a hose bib bleader valve. It's inside and allows me to turn off the bibs from inside, and purge with air. Kinda nice, and real easy to do. My neighbor didn't do a purge when it hit in the singles a few years back. They paid a chunk of change for a fix.


Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Chimacum, Wa
Joined: Tue Dec 6, 2011
Posts: 182
Real Name: Jim
In Spokane, shut off the water to the bib and drained the line. Here, just cover the bib.


Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: WA
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020
Posts: 48
ViniVidivici wrote:
Big Bear, are you a ham operator? There's a repeater in Auburn I talk on. Actually you're in range of several.


Unfortunately no, I'll have to use smoke signal to communicate with you if SHTF out here. lol


Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:09 pm
Profile
User avatar

Location: WA
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020
Posts: 48
Ace wrote:
It's because houses built out in Spokane are built for the climate while houses built on this side of the mountains are usually built on the lowest bidder.


And winters aren't bad if you can handle the dark and the rain. It doesn't get 40 below out here like it does in the midwest. What gets people is the lack of sun drives most people crazy.


Once things open up more I think we'll go exploring in Spokane, never been there, should be interesting.
This lack of sun is going to make for a very interesting winter indeed as both wife and I have never lived in an area like WA.


Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 12402
Real Name: Jeff
usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Yep, I always turn the water off to the outside faucets, drain the line the best I can, and put the big foam nipple on it.

My worst experience was at the house in Kirkland where I used to live, where there was a faucet on the front of the garage. The water ran from the house (at the rear of the garage, along the inside of the garage wall, and to the faucet at the front of the garage. Yeah, that fucking pipe froze a few times, and I had to keep fixing it, which resulted in a number of scorch marks on the wall. :bigsmile:

I finally got smart and installed a shutoff back where the water entered the garage, and in the winter I turned it off and drained the garage part of the pipe.


Soooo....the pipe was exposed on the inside of the Garage with no wall insulation? :popcorn:


Yup. There was insulation around the pipe (just the split foam stuff), but the garage itself was uninsulated.


So much for the split foam Pipe insulation being effective, i am surprised by that.

That insulation works a charm if you also put some heat tape under it, and plug the tape in... :bigsmile:

_________________
-Jeff

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Freedom without responsibility is chaos.


Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Location: Puyallup
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018
Posts: 1559
bigbearbear wrote:
Ace wrote:
It's because houses built out in Spokane are built for the climate while houses built on this side of the mountains are usually built on the lowest bidder.


And winters aren't bad if you can handle the dark and the rain. It doesn't get 40 below out here like it does in the midwest. What gets people is the lack of sun drives most people crazy.


Once things open up more I think we'll go exploring in Spokane, never been there, should be interesting.
This lack of sun is going to make for a very interesting winter indeed as both wife and I have never lived in an area like WA.


Just keep working out, that's what we do. It does wonders for your state of mind!

I'll see your smoke signals from here.

Lots of great areas to explore on, and around Mt. Rainier. Some great hiking areas off of Hwy. 410.

_________________
I'm a Morlock, in a land of Eloi...


Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: East of Japan, not by much.
Joined: Fri Jun 3, 2011
Posts: 12679
The humidity makes it feel colder than it is, especially if you are out working in wind and rain. Wool is your friend, so is Goretex.

_________________
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!



BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE


Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 12402
Real Name: Jeff
RENCORP wrote:
The humidity makes it feel colder than it is, especially if you are out working in wind and rain. Wool is your friend, so is Goretex.

Yep.

Lost my 4xl goretex jacket a few years ago.

Been wishing I still had it lately.

Never had wool to put under it but that actually sounds like a good idea.

_________________
-Jeff

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Freedom without responsibility is chaos.


Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Caveman Jim, JohnMBrowning, johnny bob, L_O_G, mp1977, paguy, RocketScott, SporkBoy, Tonydec and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.681s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off ]