Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Bill to Legalize Switchblades 

bubblewhip wrote:
The whole motivation from the liberals to get this through is that these laws particularly the "centrifugal thrust" opening mechanism aka "gravity knife." are allegedly used by police officers to charge and arrest people carrying legally purchased pocket knives that are loose enough to open with a hard swing of the wrist. These people that are charged and arrested are usually of racial minorities and disproportionately affected. That's why the left wing wants to get rid of it.

Just one of those things depending on what the situation is, you can get anti-gun liberals onboard with deregulating weapons if you can make the case about the other stuff they care about.

These are two really good points. A lot of this can be couched in "harm reduction," which seems counterintuitive on its face with regard to switchblades but it can result in something that liberals/leftists agree is a net good; fewer reasons for police to charge and arrest people disproportionately affected by policing.

This is where the politicking comes into play. Switchblades, although not a partisan issue, are something that will have to be sold as such. To get through in a blue state, it needs to be packaged the same way legal weed was. One less reason for cops to harass people of color, in this case.

The way it is sold does not matter if it passes. I genuinely do not care what the reasoning was if it leads to me being able to carry an OTF knife legally. If it gets more people interested in knives, even better. Maybe use that as an entry point to guns.

I am optimistic about this one passing. Maybe not this legislative session, but in the near future.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great.

Now if we could just pass a law that would help cut down on the number of times officers harass minorities for illegal machine guns, SBR's, SBS's, and suppressors.

That's a rampant problem, you know. Yuge problem. Bigly. All these peaceful minorities with their sawed-off shotty's. Sure would be nice if those shotty's weren't illegal any more. Would keep the big bad coppers from picking on those protected classes.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Pvanderzee wrote:
Great.

Now if we could just pass a law that would help cut down on the number of times officers harass minorities for illegal machine guns, SBR's, SBS's, and suppressors.

That's a rampant problem, you know. Yuge problem. Bigly. All these peaceful minorities with their sawed-off shotty's. Sure would be nice if those shotty's weren't illegal any more. Would keep the big bad coppers from picking on those protected classes.

"harm reduction" is a very powerful buzzword. I mean think about the hearing protection act. It was ultimately unsuccesful but if the right person tried it again emphasizing harm reduction who knows what the result would be

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Just got back from Texas, I carried a Microtech everyday... the world didn't end.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:52 pm

acidfly wrote:
Just got back from Texas, I carried a Microtech everyday... the world didn't end.

Yeah we all know about all that nonstop knife crime all over the states where they are legal... lmao. It's so stupid that switchblades are illegal. Ugh.

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is an absolute masterpiece...also, your laptop is about 300x cleaner than mine.

acidfly wrote:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

freelancer1972 wrote:
That is an absolute masterpiece...also, your laptop is about 300x cleaner than mine.

acidfly wrote:

Second on both, its a beautiful knife. My laptop looks awful, doesn't help its hooked up to a VCDS or CAN bus interface half the time.

Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what ever happened with this?

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dirty ancient Laptop and a Kershaw Launch 7.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Smudge wrote:

Never passed. If I recall, it wasn't voted down, it just either never got out of committee or, if it did, it never made it on to the calendar for a floor vote.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like calling them "switchblade" knives is almost intended to give them a negative stereotype. Then again, politicians would probably start foaming at the mouth if they were referred to as "automatic" knives.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gman wrote:
Seems like calling them "switchblade" knives is almost intended to give them a negative stereotype. Then again, politicians would probably start foaming at the mouth if they were referred to as "fully-semi automatic" knives.

FIFY :wink05:

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
The Smudge wrote:

Never passed. If I recall, it wasn't voted down, it just either never got out of committee or, if it did, it never made it on to the calendar for a floor vote.

Extremely lame. I’d really like to see this get passed. I want an OTF!

Thanks for the update, I appreciate it.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:44 am

Gman wrote:
Seems like calling them "switchblade" knives is almost intended to give them a negative stereotype. Then again, politicians would probably start foaming at the mouth if they were referred to as "automatic" knives.

There are so many better terms than switchblade that don't have the negative connotation. When I was sending comments to my local reps about this I repeatedly emphasized how these knives are amazing works of mechanical precision and engineering, and that we should encourage that kind of innovation in our state. I mean Oregon has Benchmade and Idaho has Chris Reeve Knives, we should absolutely be keeping up with our neighbors in this field.

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3