Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1949 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 130  Next
 What has mildly entertained/annoyed you today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, we have threads for people being pissed off, and people being ecstatic that something made their day... What about the run of the mill daily stuff that makes you chuckle, or mildly vexes you ? It's OKAY to be mediocre, ya know.

I'll start with both....

Me: Trying to sell a car - 'We negotiate price when you come see it'.
First message about car - 'What's the lowest you'll take'?

People aren't just bad at reading, they're bad at negotiating..... :ROFLMAO:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got dispatched earlier today to a fire investigation call at an address far enough away that it didn't make sense for my department. Interrupted something else I was doing.

So I get dressed, head to the station, park the car, and call the backdoor number for dispatch.

Not only was the tone not meant for my entire district, it was only supposed to go to the other two stations, the call got cancelled. The fire was real, but it was a practice burn for a neighboring district. Womp womp.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife and kid's...
They changed plans on me. Woke up prepared to finish a project and they decided we needed to go to music 6000.

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took a friend to a doctor's appt. Afterward we ran by the UPS store so I could drop of their package.

Came back out of the shop and climbed in. WTF?! Friend is gone!... And there's a picture of a strange person hanging from the rearview mirror now...

I look around and see my friend in a car - two stalls away.

I wave.

She waves.

Finally it dawns on me that I'm in the wrong car! :bigsmile:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dipshits walking off leash dogs on trails that can't control them and forced me to almost get bitten.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Took a friend to a doctor's appt. Afterward we ran by the UPS store so I could drop of their package.

Came back out of the shop and climbed in. WTF?! Friend is gone!... And there's a picture of a strange person hanging from the rearview mirror now...

I look around and see my friend in a car - two stalls away.

I wave.

She waves.

Finally it dawns on me that I'm in the wrong car! :bigsmile:

Hahaahah....

Couple months ago I had an older lady try to get into my vehicle...Apparently she thought I was her ride...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
Got dispatched earlier today to a fire investigation call at an address far enough away that it didn't make sense for my department. Interrupted something else I was doing.

So I get dressed, head to the station, park the car, and call the backdoor number for dispatch.

Not only was the tone not meant for my entire district, it was only supposed to go to the other two stations, the call got cancelled. The fire was real, but it was a practice burn for a neighboring district. Womp womp.

I always thought it was interesting how rural stations work. Also makes sense in some states why they still allow volunteers to run lights/sirens on their POV, some even allow responding directly to the incident.

Suburban vollie stations assign duty shifts and make sure there's adequate coverage.Some mixing vollie and paid crews, with mostly career guys during the day and volunteers at night..

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went all crazy trying to ship an eBay item then forgot to drop it off because my alternator went out. Couldn’t wait two hours for Oreilly to charge them so I ended up with two new batteries. Optimas can go in something else I guess. Made it home. Then saw someone trying to sell primers for 12 cent a piece. Hugs from my girls made it all go away.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:

I always thought it was interesting how rural stations work. Also makes sense in some states why they still allow volunteers to run lights/sirens on their POV, some even allow responding directly to the incident.

Suburban vollie stations assign duty shifts and make sure there's adequate coverage.Some mixing vollie and paid crews, with mostly career guys during the day and volunteers at night..

We've tried to discourage responding to the incident directly. We want people to go by the station first to make sure that at least "X" vehicle gets out the door, and as many bodies use that rig as possible, if nothing else to avoid having a dozen cars at the scene. The primary response area for my department is small enough that that's not difficult. Still happens when the trucks leave before people get there, but it's minimal. Also, no lights/sirens on personal vehicles. I don't think that's specific to our department, I think that's statewide in WA. We can run flashing green lights, but we generally don't.

zombie66 wrote:

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was on Amazon to get some Archery stuff for my Son. I have Prime and made sure that everything i ordered would deliver tomorrow.
Yep, order withing the next 5 hours and it's good.
Ordered all the stuff and then checked.
It all comes Monday. :cussing:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

See, I disagree. I like to know what I'm coming to look at before I come to look at it, and know what I'm going to pay before I come down. I think its a little classless to waste someone's time coming to see something they're trying to sell if you're then going to spend a bunch of time arguing with them about the price after they meet you.
If I'm selling something, don't waste my time coming to look at it if you're not willing to pay what we agreed was the price before you came unless you don't think I've described it fairly (and if you're right about that, that's on me).
Describe what you're selling as it is, agree on a price, inspect to confirm, and the deal is done.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:

We've tried to discourage responding to the incident directly. We want people to go by the station first to make sure that at least "X" vehicle gets out the door, and as many bodies use that rig as possible, if nothing else to avoid having a dozen cars at the scene. The primary response area for my department is small enough that that's not difficult. Still happens when the trucks leave before people get there, but it's minimal. Also, no lights/sirens on personal vehicles. I don't think that's specific to our department, I think that's statewide in WA. We can run flashing green lights, but we generally don't.

Yeah. If we had a lot of people already out on calls, they'd dispatch apparatus and they'd respond 'driver only', then they'd dispatch a crew from a neighboring station, for manpower. That's what radios are for.. To let others know what's going on.

eg.

'Engine 231, Squad 3, Medic 238, respond to an MVA, 2 vehicle with entrapment, intersection of Walk and Do Not Walk'
'231 responding, driver only'
'Affirm, 231 responding'
(tones drop)
'Utility 3, respond with Engine 231 for manpower, MVA, 2 vehicle with entrapment (yadda yadda yadda)...........'

I've talked to a couple volunteer guys from rural fire districts in other states, and they seem to be a little more lax, and rarely have anyone actually at the station, and ONLY go to the station when there's a call. But that's more to do with the fact that they truly are 100% volunteer serving a relatively small population, and actually have to make a living.

And, yes, WA law made red lights on firefighter cars illegal a couple years ago. Green courtesy lights only now, which I've never actually seen, probably because of liability reasons if any dep't approves it.

But again, city vs rural is completely different. We wanted our response times sub 5 minutes between the time the call was dispatched and when we arrived on scene, anywhere in our first due. The guys in WV I talked to, they were talking 30+ minute response times, in some cases... I imagine some more remote areas in other states you could be pushing over an hour... IF they'd respond at all. I lived on an Island, and they would have to call the Coast Guard any time there was anything even remotely life threatening, and they'd send a Dauphin and transport. Side note : As much as I give puddle pirates shit, they're generally some awesome people.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to loose stinky farts. Did that a lot today. My car really stinks now.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

See, I disagree. I like to know what I'm coming to look at before I come to look at it, and know what I'm going to pay before I come down. I think its a little classless to waste someone's time coming to see something they're trying to sell if you're then going to spend a bunch of time arguing with them about the price after they meet you.
If I'm selling something, don't waste my time coming to look at it if you're not willing to pay what we agreed was the price before you came unless you don't think I've described it fairly (and if you're right about that, that's on me).
Describe what you're selling as it is, agree on a price, inspect to confirm, and the deal is done.

Negotiating a price over the phone or text, especially with something like a Car is Crazy. Last time i listed a Car on CL i got that "whats the lowest you will take" question, i didn't bother to reply.
The only question that is appropriate is, "Are you negotiable on the price?"
YMMV

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

For some things, I agree. Guns, tools, random household shit, etc., totally. You know what you're getting, you agree to the price, then we make the drive. The only time it changes is on the off chance that something about the item is not as advertised. If you offer me less when you get here with no reason given, the sale is off. I hate salesmen, and I hate haggling.

For cars? Personally, I think the item has enough surface area and is complicated enough that an inspection is needed beforehand. Now, don't show up to a car deal advertised for $10,000 with only $5,000 in your pocket when all you can find is a paint chip that wasn't in the pictures, but maybe I missed something.

But generally, I agree. I live a ways from town. I want most of the negotiating to be done before we ever meet face to face.

zombie66 wrote:

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1949 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 130  Next