Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Question about Seattle Storage. 

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and I have a question.
As a Seattle resident; I understand that there is a "Safe Storage" requirement.
Reference:
http://clerk.seattle.gov/search/clerk-files/321088
https://library.municode.com/wa/seattle ... H10.79STFI

Look, I completely understand there is a lot of feeling about this legal requirement. But, putting those aside.

There are not any clear definitions about what constitutes "safe storage". It is all vague legalese.
A "locked container" is subjective. What type of container? Do I need to go with a hard case? Or even a residential security/storage container.

What do you all recommend?

I need to be mindful of weight and cost. I am an apartment dwelling Seattle-ite.
Note: I know that none of this is legal advice. And, no, 'move' isn't acceptable at this time either. Even though, it is in the future plans.

I should mention, I have 13 rifles, a shotgun, and 5 handguns.
I currently have the handguns in a secure lockbox.
I have multiple rifles/lowers and the shotgun crammed into a couple of hard cases.
My collection has grown to the point where I'm reaching out because separating the uppers from the lowers is getting to a point of not being a viable option. (Also, I don't actually know if I am in compliance with the law. And I figured it would be good to double-check.)

Thanks for your time. And thank you for allowing me to join the forum.
I look forward to engaging in future conversations.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

AFAIK the bounds of the definitions remain untested. Whatever you decide to do, think of it in the context of your lawyer defending it, if it were ever to come to that.

Do you have kids? If not, the situation becomes a bit easier. If I still lived in Seattle, I would not be willing to have my lawyer argue that my locked apartment constitutes a locked container, even if I believed that to be so and knew of other Seattle residents treating it as such. I would, however, be willing to have my lawyer argue that a padlocked zip case constitutes a locked container.

Since there’s nothing in the law about how practically difficult one must make it for an unauthorized person to gain access, I’ll leave that to potential case law and move on with my life.
EDIT: There is. Thanks for the heads up, stompah. I should have re-read the law.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by reginald_burrito on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Print this page

Take note of this passage:

Quote:
What counts as responsible storage?
The gun must be secured in a safe, gun safe, gun case, gun cabinet, or lock box that is:
Designed to fully contain firearms and prevent removal of, and access to, the enclosed firearm;
Is capable of repeated use;
May be opened only by a numerical combination consisting of the entry of at least three variables entered in a specific sequence on a keypad, dial or tumbler device; key, magnetic key, or electronic key; or by biometric identification; and
Be constructed with such quality of workmanship and material that it may not be easily pried open, removed, or otherwise defeated by the use of common tools.

That last line of not easily pried open with common tools precludes a lot of storage in my mind. But the final decision on that would be determined by a judge or jury.

I'd say at least buy a gun locker and trigger locks for the most unused firearms and then whatever storage you deem fit for what you need quick access to in case of emergency. I'd think it would be easier for a lawyer to argue that you double locked all firearms but the one you chose for home defense which you still had secured versus a prosecutor arguing that you bought a cheap plastic case and called it good leading to negligence.

I'm not a lawyer tho.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:13 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

At the point of having nearly 20 firearms isn’t it about time to consider purchasing a safe of some sort? I understand they’re cumbersome to move, especially in an apartment setting, but there are some mid weight options out there that would suit a collection of that size well.

What happens if your apartment is broken into and your guns get stolen? Aside from the value lost consider how you’ll feel knowing some dirtbag is out there with your guns.

IMO buy a decent mid size safe. Bolt it down. Get peace of mind in knowing your firearms are secure and satisfy the safe storage requirement at the same time.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

I'd also take note of the Seattle definition of "firearm": https://library.municode.com/wa/seattle ... 0.79.010DE

Basically it's the same as the WA state definition. So, if you split your AR into two pieces, I don't believe that either of them is legally a "firearm" anymore. That tells me that technically you wouldn't need to lock up either one, but from a more realistic standpoint I'd think that you'd be fine locking up the lower.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!

There’s another aspect of unsecured firearms that often gets overlooked.

What about a break-in when you aren’t home, and then you, or a loved one, arrives home, in the middle of the robbery?

Now, the robbers are well-armed as you enter your own home...

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought Seattle's safe storage law was thrown out by the courts?

Edit: nvm, the lawsuit is still ongoing. FYI, Edmond's law WAS gutted by the courts.
https://www.thecentersquare.com/washing ... 0the%20law.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/judge-ed ... 20children.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve often thought done sort of bed frame that has a hidden storage under the mattress would be cool.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you put a trigger lock on it, it is a substitute for "safe storage" if you ever have questions.

NOTE: That is for WA law of RCW 9.41.360 which says
Quote:
The firearm was in secure gun storage, or secured with a trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm;

not Seattle which is

Quote:
"Locked container" includes any storage device approved of or meeting specifications established by the Chief of Police

You are going to have to ask the local police and specifically what meets the specification of the Chief of Police of which I believe changed hands post CHAZ so it's whatever the new Chief says it is.

The Seattle city law is limited to civil ordinances which is max penalty of $10,000 and no jail time so take that however you will.

I am not your lawyer, do not take this as legal advice.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you're in an apartment I'm assuming you have sprinklers? (for fire, not the kind you run through in the summer...)

If that's the case fire protection is less of a concern than water tightness

Getting a job box might be a good option:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-in-W-x-48-in-L-x-28-in-Steel-Jobsite-Box/1000172279

It will keep everything dry if the sprinklers come on
It's kinda hiding in plain sight. People might assume something valuable is in there but not like an obvious gun safe. Or you throw a table cloth on it, a nice potted plant, and nobody's the wiser
You can move it yourself (with a buddy would be better though) and the neighbors will just think you work in construction
If you do eventually get a real gun safe you can sell it or use it for ammo storage

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Welcome to WaGuns! :wavey:

I'd also take note of the Seattle definition of "firearm": https://library.municode.com/wa/seattle ... 0.79.010DE

Basically it's the same as the WA state definition. So, if you split your AR into two pieces, I don't believe that either of them is legally a "firearm" anymore. That tells me that technically you wouldn't need to lock up either one, but from a more realistic standpoint I'd think that you'd be fine locking up the lower.

While I would agree that a stripped lower does not qualify as a firearm, case law suggests that a disassembled firearm that can be easily reassembled is likely still a firearm.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]