Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Rodent Wars! 

Selador wrote:
As for being merciful...

I have seen them stand on their dead family members/buddies, to lick the rest of the peanut butter off a snap trap.

Certainly no love lost, only hungry rodent tummies

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

martin248 wrote:
DoveRelease wrote:
It would be better to catch them on a glue trap and dispose of them then use rat/mouse poison and have to smell the stench of a rotting carcass in a wall until it is all gone from maggots.

I think it's "all of the above".

The initial de-population needs to be handled with traps otherwise it'll stink, but traps, of any kind, will never get every last one of them. There will always be one more. The only way to eradicate them is to follow up with poisoned bait, and then put outdoor boxes with bait around the house to reduce the pressure to keep new ones out. Even when there are none left you need to keep the bait out to kill any that wander by.

Martin is completly right on this subject.
There will always be a presents of rodents where ever humans reside. Once the battle is won the war remains.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:02 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I had to put the panties on again, to go make my 24-hour check on the traps. :whatthe:

Nothing was touched . . . except . . . a mouse snap trap was missing. I finally found it:

That's a downward-sloped area, right above a sloped ceiling. I had the trap set up on the flat area (near the 'ledge') up above that sloped area, as I can hear the rodents in that area. Well, I spotted the trap down at the bottom of that sloped area, with a rat (yes, definitely a good-sized rat) stuck in it and kind of flopping around. You can't see him in the pic, but he's in the upper right part of the photo.

Now, the million-dollar, five-vertebrae question . . . is it safe for my fat ass to get on my butt and scoot down that sloped area to retrieve him? Or is that a weaker area, and I should just leave him be?

I'm inclined to go with b) unless y'all give me a real feeling of confidence. I'm also aware that not all of you would be heartbroken to see me fall through that ceiling. :ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever you do, you must set up the camera FIRST!
So we can either laugh or tell you, good job.
:bigsmile:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Well, I had to put the panties on again, to go make my 24-hour check on the traps. :whatthe:

Nothing was touched . . . except . . . a mouse snap trap was missing. I finally found it:

That's a downward-sloped area, right above a sloped ceiling. I had the trap set up on the flat area (near the 'ledge') up above that sloped area, as I can hear the rodents in that area. Well, I spotted the trap down at the bottom of that sloped area, with a rat (yes, definitely a good-sized rat) stuck in it and kind of flopping around. You can't see him in the pic, but he's in the upper right part of the photo.

Now, the million-dollar, five-vertebrae question . . . is it safe for my fat ass to get on my butt and scoot down that sloped area to retrieve him? Or is that a weaker area, and I should just leave him be?

I'm inclined to go with b) unless y'all give me a real feeling of confidence. I'm also aware that not all of you would be heartbroken to see me fall through that ceiling. :ROFLMAO:

Go to lowes or home depot. Buy a long piece of PVC pipe. Drive a long screw through the end of it. (about 2 to 3 inches.) Use that to retrieve the rat and trap. Just slam the screw right through the rat.

Toss it if you wish. Or clean it off, and use it for the next one.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess this advice is a little late. But I tie off all my traps.
Even with the appropriate trap. An animal can run off if it is a bad catch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rat

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's skip sheeting. Those 1x4's are stronger than you think. Just step where they are on top of a 2x's and it will be fine.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
That's skip sheeting. Those 1x4's are stronger than you think. Just step where they are on top of a 2x's and it will be fine.

This

Some framer ran all over that while it was being built

You're not that fat

Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

RocketScott wrote:
usrifle wrote:

This

Some framer ran all over that while it was being built

You're not that fat

As an Architectural Designer, I agree with all the above.... But setup a camera, just in case. :bigsmile:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait a damn minute. Aren’t you an engineer?

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
With a rat (yes, definitely a good-sized rat) stuck in it and kind of flopping around. You can't see him in the pic, but he's in the upper right part of the photo.

My bet is on it being a fat MOUSE! :rofl9:

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Send the wife.

Tell her you’re preparing her for if you’re ever not around...

(J/k...usr & Rocket got it right.)

Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well . . . update time.

I'll admit, I'm pretty poor at this. I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to creeping around in the attic and the crawl space.

The rat who was caught in the mouse trap and was flopping around at the bottom of the sloped area? Fuggit. I left him there.

I've been making regular visits to the attic. Glue traps . . . nothing. Snap traps . . . one mouse trap was snapped one day, but nothing was in it. I took the mouse trap out of the fight, leaving just rat traps up there, which have remained untouched. I finally stepped up my game with bait packs, which I didn't really want to use indoors, but I figured if I was gonna leave that rat at the bottom of the sloped area, obviously I wasn't too concerned about dead rodents inside. To date, though, the only thing that I appear to have killed up in the attic is that one rat in the mouse trap.

Last weekend I went down to the crawl space and deployed a few divisions: rat traps, glue traps and bait packs. I haven't been down there since (might go in the next couple of days) to check on it.

However, in the last few days there has been a REMARKABLE decrease in the noise overhead. In fact, I can't even say for certain that I've heard ANY rodent noise over the last day or so. So that's giving me hope, since I was hearing them up there many times a day before all this.

Today I swapped out the bait in my rat traps up in the attic. Out with the peanut butter, and in with a duckmeat dog treat in one trap, and a beef dog treat in another.

And . . . I found this, courtesy of that fuckstain from Comcast and the crew that replaced the air conditioner last year:

Mmmhmmm. I deployed a piece of history and some silicone to block it off at least temporarily:

Our dog runs in this area so I can't do anything too radical . . . but I think I'll get a covered bait trap, in case we've got them running around the house in that area.

What a pain in the ass. :frust:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like the AC guy did pretty good, but that Comcast guy was the stain you mentioned. That Plastic sign isn't going to cut it, they will chew through that.
You need some more of that mesh metal fabric and some wire to close that off. When you want that Rat carcass and Trap out of your Attic, Lola and i can take care of it for you. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You steel wool to plug your holes. It is the only thing they will not chew thru. The just one bite from amazon is great no stinky mess to clean up they bleed from within and die most of the time in there nest. We found a few sets of bones but it never stunk like decon mice do when they die.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next