Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Who is the cheapest person you know? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use to work with a guy who would drive two towns away just under 20 miles to save a dollar on a case of cheap beer.
He would pick pennies up off the ground. I called him out on it and he said that I was cheaper the he was because I picked up washers up off the ground.

At that time a washer at the hardware store cost five cents, now they are nine to twelve cents apiece.
So he was picking up pennies and I was picking up nichols, today would be dimes.

-----------------------------------

I worked with a guy who had a friend who owned three Mcdonalds franchises. He stopped by one summer day and were sitting outside drinking a few beers. The McDonalds guy poured the beer into mugs and brought them out to the picnic table. His friend was in getting more beers he went in to take a piss the cheap asswipe was pouring my friend a can of Milwaukee's Best and was pouring himself a bottle of expensive stuff.

-----------------------------------

I have a friend that has become a hoarder, he goes to Goodwill and buys stuff with the pink tags or what ever the color is that is 75% off. His house is full as well as his two story three car garage. When I stop by you can't just walk in, you have to turn side ways to get to the kitchen and living room. There are two open chairs there are 8 or 9 televisions, about 15 fish tanks, four dressers, a bunch of old vhs players, a butt load of microwaves, air fryers, just shit on top of shit. One bathroom and two bedrooms are completly full all the way to the doors.
He drinks the cheapest beer Safeway sells, this time of year I drop off cases of Budweiser so I have something to drink instead of animal beer.
He rolls his own cigarettes and saves the little tiny ends and puts the tobacco all together to roll another cigarette, .insted of useing his wayer from the well he always has a shit load of clean empty gallon milk jugs and fills them up at the up at the boat launchn he drinks it and fills his washing machine up and gives it to his sheep and pigeons.
He has sheep so he doesn't have to mow his yard.
There are a lot of other stuff he does as well. Like having to stop and pick up anything along the road that has a free sign on it.
If he ever needed medical help and was in the house or garage they wouldn't be able to get him out without taking s few dumptruck loads of shit outside first.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
new daddy wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
My Dad, who was born in 1930 and lived through the depression era.

Still cuts out coupons.

Drinks Hamms because its cheaper than everything, not because it tastes better.

He can't throw anything away. He just finds other uses for items.

I might add, he's accumulated some astounding wealth by being a cheap skate.

My grandfather and my great-grandfather "rode the rails" during the 1930s while my great-aunts lived with a relative after the death of my great-grandmother. My great grandfather was pretty successful at finding work (steamfitter), so they did ok.

The one story I remember vividly was that they would arrive on the edge of a town at "the jungle." They always had coffee and cooked it in a #10 can. As soon as the coffee smell hit, all the hobos would come out with their cup in hand. So my great-grandfather would always put his cigar butt in the can with the coffee. My grandpa said that once they saw the cigar butt, they didn't want the coffee.

My great-grandfather was the toughest man I ever met. He was 80 and he could still bend nails with his hands. He got a job in a coal mine about 1938-39 and remarried. Worked until the mine closed in 1956, then went to work for the local hospital. He was 81 years old when the hospital converted from steam boilers to electric (about 1973) and let him go. He basically went home, sat down in his chair and died a year later.

This shouldn't be in the "cheap" thread, frankly. People were so different, even less than 100 years ago. Just as smart, but we have devolved.

I'll put you down as pro putting a cigar butt in your flavored water so as not share it with starving men then.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DoveRelease wrote:
He would pick pennies up off the ground. I called him out on it and he said that I was cheaper the he was because I picked up washers up off the ground.

At that time a washer at the hardware store cost five cents, now they are nine to twelve cents apiece.
So he was picking up pennies and I was picking up nichols, today would be dimes.

Me too. Same reason. It's not pennies, it's nickles, dimes, even quarters now. They seem to think their washers are made of gold, any more.

I drilled holes in pennies and used them for washers on a sink install, for that very reason.

It's time to fertilize the garden.

Yesterday I saw the neighbor out there with a buffalo nickle and a pair of vise grips...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
Pablo wrote:
new daddy wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
My Dad, who was born in 1930 and lived through the depression era.

Still cuts out coupons.

Drinks Hamms because its cheaper than everything, not because it tastes better.

He can't throw anything away. He just finds other uses for items.

I might add, he's accumulated some astounding wealth by being a cheap skate.

My grandfather and my great-grandfather "rode the rails" during the 1930s while my great-aunts lived with a relative after the death of my great-grandmother. My great grandfather was pretty successful at finding work (steamfitter), so they did ok.

The one story I remember vividly was that they would arrive on the edge of a town at "the jungle." They always had coffee and cooked it in a #10 can. As soon as the coffee smell hit, all the hobos would come out with their cup in hand. So my great-grandfather would always put his cigar butt in the can with the coffee. My grandpa said that once they saw the cigar butt, they didn't want the coffee.

My great-grandfather was the toughest man I ever met. He was 80 and he could still bend nails with his hands. He got a job in a coal mine about 1938-39 and remarried. Worked until the mine closed in 1956, then went to work for the local hospital. He was 81 years old when the hospital converted from steam boilers to electric (about 1973) and let him go. He basically went home, sat down in his chair and died a year later.

This shouldn't be in the "cheap" thread, frankly. People were so different, even less than 100 years ago. Just as smart, but we have devolved.

I'll put you down as pro putting a cigar butt in your flavored water so as not share it with starving men then.

Hahahaha OK that IS just plain mean :bigsmile: (nasty!) But in general both my grandfathers were tough bastards.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3