Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Who is our weber guy? 

Yeah - I was a little over zealous with the coal - didn't measure and used ~2/3+ of a chimney and that filled both baskets completely.... it was the free cheap Kroger coals and it did serve to burn out the grill, so I didn't feel that bad. Rookie move --- I did the same thing with the first cooks on the WSM.

Last night I took it to the other extreme --- was going to cook ONE hamburger - planned on using the gasser, but since I was out in the garage looking at the kettle all day, I thought I'd fire it up.... I wanted to try out the gas starter burner to see how that worked out....

Attachment:
20220522_183245.jpg

I put 11 coals in the basket - placed it over the burner - it only took ~2-3 minutes for the coals to light up really nice! I didn't think I would be using the starter all that much since I have a chimney.... but DAMN that gas starter is cool! I'm gonna have to force myself to pay $6-7 for a 1# bottle of propane now -- I can't see keeping it hooked up to a 20#er....

Looked a little pathetic with only ONE burger on the grill..... but it turned out nice and tasty! Charcoal and a sprinkling of hickory chips really makes a difference!

Attachment:
20220522_191915.jpg

I've been pretty happy now that I've figured out my WSM some more..... I've been fighting getting 300+ for short cooks for a while and the thought was to just throw MORE lit coals in there.... that has only a short term effect as the top vent on the WSM will just choke it back to the 275 range after ~10 minutes. Finally realized that I need to crack the lid by offsetting it to allow more air flow and it will climb to 325 easily --- I'm sure more with more coal. I had already convinced myself that there is no shame in finishing a chicken in the oven to get the skin crispy, but I would like to be able to do that from the get go on the WSM. I've got the setup and coals figured out now for a 3-4 hour chicken cook now --- I'm guessing its ~2# of coals for a cook which I 'think' is pretty reasonable --- better than the 5# I was using for no useful gain only to have a bunch of half burned coals. I still can't believe that I still see vids where people are filling the coal basket full with a whole bag of coal for a chicken cook....
(sorta like this guy...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPNF0t8xcWo)

Attachment:
20220517_144803.jpg

OK --- I have to post pics of the chickens..... I had to redeem myself to my neighbors after the 'pineapple huli' chicken fiasco --- the neighbors were VERY pleased....

Attachment:
20220517_181309.jpg

And after finishing in the oven @350 for 10 minutes..... my neighbors and I really like finishing it this way - it really renders out the fat layer right under the skin and makes the meat super juicy! No shame in tasty juicy meat no matter how you get there!

Attachment:
20220517_193810.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 am

Just saw an email notification for a weber 'ranch kettle' go thru..... I think that is basically a 26" kettle on steroids. Damn thing was listed for $150!?!?!? What a deal.... it didn't last long.

Edit to add --- I was mistaken ---- the Ranch Kettle is a 37" kettle!!!!
I was thinking the the 'kettle kamado' which I believe is the 26".

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Tue May 24, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 23, 2022 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Just saw an email notification for a weber 'ranch kettle' go thru..... I think that is basically a 26" kettle on steroids. Damn thing was listed for $150!?!?!? What a deal.... it didn't last long.

Did you look at the grates I posted about?

Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 pm

I did. Luckily my grates are in good shape and there is just no reason to justify any other type of grates for the near future --- just wishful thinking..... While cast iron in the kettle would be balling ---- from my experience with CI in the gassers - they would be more problematic than useful --- too hard to keep the rust at bay if not used very frequently. For now I'm happy with the flip up grates and the coal baskets.... although I would like a slo-n-sear and a votex.

Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I did. Luckily my grates are in good shape and there is just no reason to justify any other type of grates for the near future --- just wishful thinking..... While cast iron in the kettle would be balling ---- from my experience with CI in the gassers - they would be more problematic than useful --- too hard to keep the rust at bay if not used very frequently. For now I'm happy with the flip up grates and the coal baskets.... although I would like a slo-n-sear and a votex.

Get a vortex for sure..

I also made the poor n sear by modifying the stock baskets to simulate the size of the SNS, i just dont have the water resivor.. but. pan with water works on long cooks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 24, 2022 7:01 am
Profile WWW

So.... I learned something today watching a vid that I would have NEVER figured out without seeing the vids.....
For those of you with a Performa kettle --- Weber put a feature in that is REALLY useful and maybe you saw it in the manual if its there, but probably not....

So - these grills....

Attachment:
20220526_194247.jpg

There is a little cutout hole on the backside --- something I would have NEVER thought to look for - I haven't really had a reason to look at the back side --- that is there to hang the grate instead of setting it on something that you don't want to get all greasy.... fucking BRILLIANT!!!! I've just been setting the grate on the ground and leaning it against the leg, but I'll use this from now on!

Attachment:
20220526_194332.jpg

You're welcome Damon....

Thu May 26, 2022 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When i saw the 1st picture i had to click and enlarge. When you told us about your daily 6 pack, you didn't mention they were 16oz! No wonder nothing good happens after 6. :ROFLMAO:

Keystone light?......Are you a Keystone Cowboy now? Kyle would approve. :cheers2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu May 26, 2022 7:30 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
So.... I learned something today watching a vid that I would have NEVER figured out without seeing the vids.....
For those of you with a Performa kettle --- Weber put a feature in that is REALLY useful and maybe you saw it in the manual if its there, but probably not....

So - these grills....

You're welcome Damon....

Thanks for the tip! I usually just lean it on the side.

Thu May 26, 2022 7:38 pm
Profile WWW

I - and you - would have NEVER known about it.... but damn - they've had it there for.... ever? Mine is a a 1st gen --- I would have to guess they have brought it forward all these years. Kettle guys 'should' just hang it off the bottom while the lid is off or hang it from the hook on the handle.... I would have never even though to look at the back of the grill.... So much better than setting it on the ground or the table....

I'm only 3 cooks into the kettle and I'm thinking I can do better on the gassers.... but the thighs I did last night....

Thu May 26, 2022 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
When i saw the 1st picture i had to click and enlarge. When you told us about your daily 6 pack, you didn't mention they were 16oz! No wonder nothing good happens after 6. :ROFLMAO:

Keystone light?......Are you a Keystone Cowboy now? Kyle would approve. :cheers2:

I am the KeystoneCowboy and I wholeheartedly approve! Big boy beers are reserved for big boys.
Edited to Add, big boys also have big boy smokers, you're almost there!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu May 26, 2022 8:09 pm

12ozers just seem like ponys now..... I flip between Stones and Hamms now.... don't judge me! I find I like the sharp taste of old school american pilsners.... much more than an IPA.

Sixers of Bucshys have gone past the point of reason... and buying a 18 pak is dangerous......

I'd rather have the regular Stones.... but they only have lights.... I've gotten used to them.

Thu May 26, 2022 8:22 pm

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
I am the KeystoneCowboy and I wholeheartedly approve! Big boy beers are reserved for big boys.
Edited to Add, big boys also have big boy smokers, you're almost there!

Trust me --- I want an offset really bad just because I KNOW it should be the top tier of flavor. But, sadly, reality creeps in by telling me that I don't have easy access to fuel (without big $$$$) and that I don't really cook large amounts at once --- its just too impractical for me - my 18" WSM suits all of my needs and does a wonderfully spectacular job.

What I lack in size..... I make up for in numbers.....

Warning --- shameless pictures....
Spoiler: show
When I was smoking two chickens in the WSM last week --- kettle was sitting out there so I just wheeled it next to it for a work table --- awesome! So much easier than pulling out my B&D workhorse table that I usually do. And I was cleaning up the newest 3 burner while cooking....

Attachment:
20220517_164319.jpg

And my two gassers on the back deck...

Attachment:
20220517_191107.jpg

The 2 burner is my daily bitch that does just about everything really well, but limited on size to ~ half a flat of meat --- the 3 burner is there 'just in case' I need more capacity or want to do multiple things. Sadly, the 3 burner just doesn't get used all that much --- and now I'm torn whether I want the one with the nice shiny cabinet or the classic with a fold out table.... so hard to choose....

And before anyone criticizes.... Yeah - any dickhead with too much $$$ can go and amass this many grills.... I'm proud to say that I have NOT spent a single $ on any of them - other than time and gas to pick them up! (The WSM was a trade for something that I no longer had a use for and valued ~$50 IF I could find someone to buy it) I'm always looking to trade up.... missed a beautiful front knobbed genesis 330 with sear and side burner just the other day.... just wasn't quick enough. Its a game for me --- the thrill of the 'hunt' for good free shit! I'd never be able to justify paying for a new one....

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Fri May 27, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 27, 2022 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good for you snagging all those units for Free, that's pretty cool. I wish i had the Cart/Table for my Weber, that would be very handy.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri May 27, 2022 8:55 am

I keep the best ones for myself :bigsmile:
The rest get sold off. The 3 burner with the cabinet is all the best parts off of 3 grills.... solid and really clean. I'm pretty snobby when it comes to the burner controls and the detents in them and white chalky fire boxes and lids :wink05:

ETA --- I'm kinda burned out on the flipping of grills now --- I've been letting a lot go as just too much work for little pay off with the price of gas lately..... But I'm still out there trophy hunting! I'd still like a 3 burner with front controls -- I'd be happy with a spirit like my 2 burner, but would take any of the newer models too. There is something so easy and controllable about setting up zone cooking with the front to back burners compared to the side to side models.

Fri May 27, 2022 9:53 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

JMB Grill Rescue and Adoption Center!

I used to do that with Mosins....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat May 28, 2022 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next