Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Who is our weber guy? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by sportsdad60 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On grilling steaks and burgers.....

Our Texas buddy cooked all of our steaks and burgers on a flat gas grill (Camp Chef, I've ordered one) with a little veg or peanut oil and boy oh boy did those steaks and burgers turn out PERFECT. Especially the burgers. Moist, juicy, not dried out from hot air.

I'll never cook another steak with heat/hot air/meat again.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, but plugging in an electrical device to start a fire.... just seems wrong....

Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:

Sorry, but plugging in an electrical device to start a fire.... just seems wrong....

This is the way to go

https://www.acehardware.com/departments ... lsrc=aw.ds

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Yeah - a 12"x8"dia chimney came with the WSM --- its amazing how well it works - coals going with just one or two sheets of newspaper --- ready to dump in 10-15 minutes...... and no lighter fluid smell/taste!!! If I knew about these chimneys before, I probably would've gotten a kettle by now. The bitch of it is is that my supply of newspaper is running low...... its a thing of the past. I'm saving paper bags now to use to light the chimney --- I can't bring myself to buy those silly wax cubes or haystacks.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Yeah - a 12"x8"dia chimney came with the WSM --- its amazing how well it works - coals going with just one or two sheets of newspaper --- ready to dump in 10-15 minutes...... and no lighter fluid smell/taste!!! If I knew about these chimneys before, I probably would've gotten a kettle by now. The bitch of it is is that my supply of newspaper is running low...... its a thing of the past. I'm saving paper bags now to use to light the chimney --- I can't bring myself to buy those silly wax cubes or haystacks.

Yeah those chimneys were a game changer for me. I now save all my junk mail and those grocery store coupon mailers for fire starters. I also refuse to pay the whole 30 cents for a clump of sawdust and paraffin wax labeled as a fire starter.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's exactly why I save the grocery store mailers... chimney starters..

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:49 pm

usrifle wrote:
That's exactly why I save the grocery store mailers... chimney starters..

:doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:
I didn't even think about the ads and junk mail.... :doh1: :doh1: :doh1:
There will be a new pile form here to eternity...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 pm

And..... this is the reason to have a gas grill.....
Spoiler: show
Wasn't that hungry, but wanted a really good dog.....

Attachment:
20210420_194046 (Medium).jpg

If I only had charcoal, it would've been the cast iron pan.
Full tank of gas.... no problem. Justified it by cleaning off all the fat from last nights cook.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for using the spoiler tag

But you should have warned us it was a wiener pic

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A spiral cut weiner pic.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always been a fan of the Weber kettle grills, and have been cooking on them for 20 years. Yeah you have to plan ahead a bit, but for times I'm in a pinch I just bring out my propane torch and a few moments of that and things are good to go. Personally I just like the flavor of charcoal. Maybe next summer I will upgrade to a larger size so I can get their rotisserie attachment. My grandparents had a charcoal rotisserie from like the 60's, that made the best damn chicken. You get that speed dialed in and the chicken fat just recirculated on the meat, so tasty.

That Lodge cast iron set up looks sweet. Definitely not for backpack camping.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Been looking for a larger grill and originally wanted to get a combo that did gas and charcoal. I commented in another post about looking at a Char Griller 2-in-1, but after many suggestions in a few active threads I am heavily considering getting a Weber Kettle to satisfy the cooking with coal thing. . I've watched a ton of grilling/grill review videos this week and keep coming back to the kettle type of grill being a better choice for a versatile charcoal setup than the larger drum style combo. My kid put it best asking if the combo did either gas or charcoal very well and it got me thinking, then all you bastards had to go talking about Kettles to back it up.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
Been looking for a larger grill and originally wanted to get a combo that did gas and charcoal. I commented in another post about looking at a Char Griller 2-in-1, but after many suggestions in a few active threads I am heavily considering getting a Weber Kettle to satisfy the cooking with coal thing. . I've watched a ton of grilling/grill review videos this week and keep coming back to the kettle type of grill being a better choice for a versatile charcoal setup than the larger drum style combo. My kid put it best asking if the combo did either gas or charcoal very well and it got me thinking, then all you bastards had to go talking about Kettles to back it up.

You won't be sorry, the Weber kettle is very versatile. Do yourself a favor and buy the 22" cheaper model without the Ash can thing on the bottom.
Get the basic one wit the three vents on the bottom. It's better for air and smoke flow when offset cooking or smoking, and when you are done you can close them and not have a potential fire hazard on a deck from sparks dropping out.

74 bucks at Walmart, and you can do anything BBQ with it.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
DGM33 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I agree that charcoal tastes better.
However, I'm seriously amused by all the "I'd never use gas to grill" guys who also are more than happy to drink cheap beer or shitty whiskey with their fancy steaks.
:cheers2:

Word.
Gas bbq is still good. Just not charcoal good.
And quick and easy dinners are very nice sometimes.

Bitter???? Stop using kingsford then!!

Briquettes are made of pressed GREEN lumber scraps/waste/sawdust. Green wood has CREOSOTE in it and thats where the bitter taste comes from. Just like using green wood in your smoker, it will make a nasty bitter film on the meat and the condensation of creosote wood moisture will be all over the insde of the smoker.

Get good hardwood charcoal or burn down some good dry/seasoned alder/maple until you have coals.

No more bitter bagged briquette badness.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next