Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:42 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Now offering Gear Grids(rigid aluminum MOLLE panels) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to come up with some ways to keep my CNC machines busy here at work and came up with the idea to make some seat-back aluminum MOLLE panels to store gear on.
After some prototyping, I have my first production run dropped off at the powder coat facility. The initial run of Gear Grids seat back panels will be available.

The panels themselves measure 14" wide x 23" tall and are machined from 1/4" aluminum sheet for strength and rigidity. They will accept any MOLLE pouches, bags, mounts, etc and you can secure holsters, rifle mounts, etc as well.

There are similar products available, that are made from inferior materials (HPDE, fiber reinforced resin, etc), so I thought this would be a better solution. I'm looking to price these very competitively. I am thinking around $109.99 for single seat back panel and mounting hardware, or $149-ish for the same with AR pistol/rifle mounts.

I will also be looking to build some modular panels that be installed virtually anywhere (Safe doors, closets, auto cargo areas, truck beds, etc.) as well as custom fit panels for specific applications. I am looking to start doing some prototyping for panels to fit on the inside of truck bed panels for securing tools, fire extinguishers, lights, etc.

Default color will be matte black, but custom options are available.

I don't have the first run back from powder coat yet, but this will give you and idea of what I'm talking about:

ImageImage

The attaching method will be 1" mil-spec strapping, with buckles and tension tri-glides. Depending on the type of headrest your vehicle has, there will be an option for D-rings to mount around the headrest posts, or strap to go around the headrest. The lower mounts will be similar, depending on the design of your seat. You can secure them around the seat at the base, or directly to the seat bolts.

After I get them back next week, I will have some with me at the Centralia Wes Knodel gun show. I will also load one up and mount it for some better pictures.

I welcome any input you may have.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Barfly on Tue May 25, 2021 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 05, 2021 7:48 am

Very nice. What are you thinking on price.

Wed May 05, 2021 11:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am trying to price them competitively against other similar offerings. I'm thinking panel only (includes mounting hardware) for $109.99-ish. Panel plus mounts for a single AR pistol or rifle for $149.99-ish.

We are still thinking about pricing and optional add-ons and may adjust them a bit, up or down.

Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested in something like this for my rig when I go upland hunting. We do a lot of driving to and around our spots, often times with 3-4 people per rig, and gear management (particularly long guns) is always a challenge. Sometimes it's tough to find a good place to stick your shotgun while you're hustling to get the 10/22 ready to opportunistically pop a varmint, all while the vehicle is bouncing around on dirt/gravel roads. This would help keep things from sliding around or ending up on the floor.

Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
I'm interested in something like this for my rig when I go upland hunting. We do a lot of driving to and around our spots, often times with 3-4 people per rig, and gear management (particularly long guns) is always a challenge. Sometimes it's tough to find a good place to stick your shotgun while you're hustling to get the 10/22 ready to opportunistically pop a varmint, all while the vehicle is bouncing around on dirt/gravel roads. This would help keep things from sliding around or ending up on the floor.

These panels can be configured to hold more than one rifle, then went not out hunting, can be reconfigured to carry EDC items (first aid, fire starting kit, fire extinguisher, knife, light source, etc). The only limit to it's uses is your imagination.

I will also be offering custom panels, tailored to fit your rig. Think interior panels for cargo areas of SUV, inside truck beds (over wheel wells, against back of cab, etc), door panels, etc, etc.

Wed May 05, 2021 11:41 am

My girl is working on buying a new wrangler, I could offer it up for sizing and fitment for a discount. The jeep market is huge

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed May 05, 2021 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as you make one to fit in my Frontier put me down for one please.

Ill have to find the link but their is a company making these for the Frontier to fit in the door panel that I kinda want to get so I could secure a holster to it.

When I find the link Ill PM it to you so maybe you could make a prototype and possibly branch out.

Wed May 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:

Ill have to find the link but their is a company making these for the Frontier to fit in the door panel that I kinda want to get so I could secure a holster to it.

When I find the link Ill PM it to you so maybe you could make a prototype and possibly branch out.

Just gotta bring it to me so i can take measurements. I'll do custom panels. Gives me a bigger catalog of patterns :thumbsup2:

Wed May 05, 2021 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ill be down at Yardbirds Saturday the 15th

Wed May 05, 2021 4:42 pm

I would be on board with something that fits the back of my middle row seats in my Tahoe. Real convenient when I can lay the seats down and forward and the gear is right there to pick through.

Wed May 05, 2021 7:02 pm

How big of a panel can you make?

Sent from my WP5 using Tapatalk

Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How sharp are the edges securing molle straps? Bouncing around hundreds of miles off-road is a killer.
Are you be able to custom size?
I'm actually thinking of something off the back and front of my bike boxes, but also thought strips of M lock rail too.

Thu May 06, 2021 5:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FRANKENYOTA91 wrote:

I am currently getting sheets of aluminum in 4' x 8'... Going super big may call for a higher grade aluminum, depending on how you want it mounted. These smaller seat back panels are 5052, I can get sheets of 6061 in 4'x 10' as well.

STED9R wrote:
How sharp are the edges securing molle straps? Bouncing around hundreds of miles off-road is a killer.
Are you be able to custom size?
I'm actually thinking of something off the back and front of my bike boxes, but also thought strips of M lock rail too.

They are sand blasted after I sand the faces. The sand blasting will take the burrs and the sharp edge off before they are powder coated. This was something I was concerned with at first. It will depend a lot on the quality of the gear you are mounting, how much weight you pack in/on the gear and how solidly it mounts to the panel.
As long as you are getting good quality gear that is solidly mounted. I don't see there being an issue.

M-Lok/Keymod might be a possibility down the road.

Thu May 06, 2021 6:53 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Barfly wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

Just gotta bring it to me so i can take measurements. I'll do custom panels. Gives me a bigger catalog of patterns :thumbsup2:

I am going to have Barfly do a panel for the Tesla. There is a perfect spot for it. Just need to get it to him.

Thu May 06, 2021 7:18 am
Profile WWW

Barfly wrote:
FRANKENYOTA91 wrote:

I am currently getting sheets of aluminum in 4' x 8'... Going super big may call for a higher grade aluminum, depending on how you want it mounted. These smaller seat back panels are 5052, I can get sheets of 6061 in 4'x 10' as well.

How much would it cost to get a 4x8 sheet? I'm thinking about using it for a headliner in my suburban.

Fri May 07, 2021 5:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next