Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 84  Next
 "Laughs in Tesla" ~ Big D 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/fo ... newsletter

Top Gear host has a few problems with his Tesla.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri May 14, 2021 9:19 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Seems like a silly problem, but it’s understandable that these things happen when dealing with new technology. Tesla is a relatively new auto maker, working with new technology, constantly innovating in this new market.

What it really sounds like is that they need some more blue collar types working on design practicality. Engineers and programmers may be great at innovation in design but they don’t always seem to consider practical usage.

I’m surprised you’re not more supportive jukk. Tesla is an American company producing American made goods. Maybe time to sell that Toyota and get you a cybertruck? :bigsmile:

Fri May 14, 2021 10:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:

What it really sounds like is that they need some more blue collar types working on design practicality. Engineers and programmers may be great at innovation in design but they don’t always seem to consider practical usage. :

I agree with this. In my experience, the best engineers were those who came up working on the very things they later were to design. This is especially true in the field of design for reliability and maintainability. Going to college and getting a degree is only part of the necessary training. In a perfect world, every engineer would spend at least a couple of years with the mechanics and machinists and service/repair people.

Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I FEEL SAFER BACK HERE" —
Tesla owner who “drives” from back seat got arrested, then did it again
Man jailed for leaving driver seat empty says he feels safer in back seat.
JON BRODKIN - 5/13/2021, 1:57 PM

Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alternative Headline: Somewhere in the world, a man's car breaks down and is unable to start.

Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Supportive? Bad news, so kill the messenger?

All I did was link the story (and take a jab at Dan for fun!)

Is Tesla an American company or S. African like Elon?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Fri May 14, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tesla is an American company. Musk isn’t the founder. He bought into it, and eventually took it over.

The vehicles are far from perfect. The experience is designed around the technology and possibilities vs the overall fit and function. That being said, as a Tesla owner of almost a year, I don’t have any regrets.

As far as the 12v batteries…. Show me a 100k luxury performance vehicle who’s battery is accessible like a normal vehicle. Most high end vehicles stow their batteries because the people who buy them pay people to fix them. Heck, take a look at a 30k Mazda 3, where you have to remove the front tire to get to the battery.

Fri May 14, 2021 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

What it really sounds like is that they need some more blue collar types working on design practicality. Engineers and programmers may be great at innovation in design but they don’t always seem to consider practical usage. :

I agree with this. In my experience, the best engineers were those who came up working on the very things they later were to design. This is especially true in the field of design for reliability and maintainability. Going to college and getting a degree is only part of the necessary training. In a perfect world, every engineer would spend at least a couple of years with the mechanics and machinists and service/repair people.

Engineers are a special breed of morons.

Fri May 14, 2021 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next door neighbor has an Aston Martin Vantage(?) that has a constant battery drain from some regular electrical system function. They need to be driven regularly, or kept on a trickle charger.

FJB

Fri May 14, 2021 2:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

In my experience, if you ask 10 engineers the same question, you will be lucky if you only get 10 different answers...

Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sparky D wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

In my experience, if you ask 10 engineers the same question, you will be lucky if you only get 10 different answers...

As an engineer I can confirm much of this is true, but only of the college pukes. Those of us who grew up fixing and making shit because we couldn’t afford to have somebody else do it, learned much more than college taught us. In fact, with 6 years of college and two engineering degrees, my life experiences turned out to be much more useful than my schooling.

Fri May 14, 2021 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honest question, what happens to a Tesla stuck in this for 12-20 hours during a snowstorm pass closure backup? You can turn a gas car off (and periodically turn it on for warmth and to preserve the small battery) and unless it's extreme cold which we don't get in western or much in central WA (think like -10 below), the oil doesn't congeal. What happens to a Tesla's battery in 0-32F weather even if you turn the car off?

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri May 14, 2021 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think as governments keep pushing for more fule efficient vehicles, and auto manufacturing company go the EV route, vehicle design will start to change quite a bit. With a lack of a motor, you have more options available in your configuration.

One thing I'm surprised EV companies aren't incorporating into their vehicles, are solar cells. There is a company that is making glass for homes that has a nearly invisible layer of solar cells in the glass. So now your house windows can help power your house. Even the roof of the vehicle could have some integrated solar panel, which would help reduce the demand on our existing power grids. I know charging a car isn't a huge hit to the power grid, but as more and more people get EV vehicles, the less power drawing off the system the better. Or even a portable solar charger, which would be useful if you want to be out in the woods.

I would hope that prices of EV would come down. You need less people for manufacturing, less moving parts, less replacement parts to make, and more availability should lower the costs, or at least I hope it would.

Sat May 15, 2021 6:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without charging that's as fast as a gas pump, why would people want to switch to an EV for convenience?

Americans love convenience, a giant chunk of our economy is purely based on it, including cars, otherwise we'd all be transit drones mostly taking buses and waiting much of our lives.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Sat May 15, 2021 7:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Without charging that's as fast as a gas pump, why would people want to switch to an EV for convenience?

Americans love convenience, a giant chunk of our economy is purely based on it, including cars, otherwise we'd all be transit drones mostly taking buses and waiting much of our lives.

Yep!

Sat May 15, 2021 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 84  Next