Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Insight Training - Bellevue 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone taken any intermediate to advanced training courses with Insight Training in Bellevue? If so, was it better, same, or look elsewhere kind of experience? (I tried searching the forums with key words and nada..). Thanks all.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:19 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Used to shoot TNPL at that range a few years ago..

Using the last LEO Bay.

Made the mistake of thinking the bay was clear,empty one day and I walked in.

3 people in there.

The Instructor lost his shit...

He could have handled it better.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, never taken a class/course with them but here’s the basics.

$825. Intermediate Defensive Handgun
https://www.insightstraining.com/view_c ... courseID=8

Subjects Covered:

Contact distance employment of the handgun
Moving to the rear or laterally while drawing and shooting
Rapid assumption of shooting positions such as kneeling and prone, which will allow the shooter to gain more accuracy and protect themselves from being injured
Tactical management ("pieing", "quick peek", and "roll out" techniques) of danger areas such as corners, doors, and stairwells such as when protecting the home
Shooting around cover, braced cover positions
One handed shooting, drawing, and reloading, and clearing malfunctions with either hand
Injury drills, "downed officer" drills
Ground fighting and recovering from the ground
LFI's "stressfire techniques" like the stressfire star, rescue pivot, reverse to weaver, reverse to kneeling, etc.
Pivots (turning left, right, or 180 degrees) while drawing and shooting
Long-range drills
Challenging/covering opponents

Please note I am not knocking them.
I’m just cheap and aware of so many cheaper options…

1:1 instruction. Dedicated 4hr will be able to develop these skills quick. $350-400

Versus doing something like ASI (Action Shooting International) http://www.asi-usa.org
$20 a match near you (check website)

Or Steel Challenge type matches $10-$20
Or even IDPA (bit steep for a new person but if you take it slow) $20

Last edited by oldkim on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this at WCA? I've had bad experiences with their "classes."

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Is this at WCA? I've had bad experiences with their "classes."

The emails I’ve been getting have been listing Wade’s as the location for shooting...

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as no WCA staff involved, especially that tall black haired guy with the beard.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:49 pm

I did train with them - about 15 years ago. :) They were small outfit with moving base of operation, and revolving-door staff. Looks like they still are. Classes were ok, but nothing much to write home about.

FWIW Around the same time the most fun I had in shooting training was with these guys : https://firearmsacademy.com/ (handgun, carbine) It was freaking shooting Disneyland - great guys, big names, 40 acres of shooting places in Centralia, great memories. At the time was definitely worth the drive, motel, lots of ammo and money... :) Check them out, maybe you like what they have to offer now...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greg Hamilton is a master firearms instructor, you'll not do better in the PNW. You will be humbled, so if that's an issue, maybe look elsewhere. Last class I took was before ammo shortage, so things may have changed, but you will shoot so much that you should have aid tape for your trigger finger. It's not a "fun" three days, but it can be a transformative 3 days.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the input with this Insight. There are pretty much a bunch of reviews that echo the extremes but they also have the common theme of non-nonsense learning of skills, which I really like. Just want to avoid any classes where instructors use it as a platform to brag. I’ve also looked into FAS and seems more aligned with what I am hoping to gain, however the biggest drawback for me is the almost 3.5 drive time. I’ll need to think this thru before being able to commit to that group.

Thanks again everyone.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 am

quantsuff wrote:
Greg Hamilton is a master firearms instructor, you'll not do better in the PNW. You will be humbled, so if that's an issue, maybe look elsewhere. Last class I took was before ammo shortage, so things may have changed, but you will shoot so much that you should have aid tape for your trigger finger. It's not a "fun" three days, but it can be a transformative 3 days.

Good advice on tape on trigger finger with 1000+ rounds classes... :) Can get pretty painful - especially with Glock trigger safety digging into blistered finger... :)
(BTW the mentioned class is said to be taught in Insights by "stuff members", not by Greg Hamilton. That was also the case when I trained with them. )

I still believe a good class leaves off "fun" memories. I do remember FAS 180 degree range with moving targets, 360 degree range with instructor glued to your back and threats popping around you, hostage situations, night shoothouse, close fighting, ground fighting, night fighting, being trained by Jeff Gonzales, Navy SEAL fresh from Afghanistan, his stories and tips, urban defensive tactics... Transformative? - yes. Fun? - hell yes! :)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 pm

SurfPerch wrote:
I did train with them - about 15 years ago. :) They were small outfit with moving base of operation, and revolving-door staff. Looks like they still are. Classes were ok, but nothing much to write home about.

FWIW Around the same time the most fun I had in shooting training was with these guys : https://firearmsacademy.com/ (handgun, carbine) It was freaking shooting Disneyland - great guys, big names, 40 acres of shooting places in Centralia, great memories. At the time was definitely worth the drive, motel, lots of ammo and money... :) Check them out, maybe you like what they have to offer now...

I had a less than stellar experience my one time there. I won't waste my money or off time again.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=101440

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Beretta Dave wrote:

I had a less than stellar experience my one time there. I won't waste my money or off time again.

Ouch! Doesn't sound like "fun" at all... Sorry to hear that. When I was there Marty used to teach police interaction, arrest techniques himself... Even ran play-acting scenarios where you're armed and walking in into some confusing situation in convenience store played out by the staff - for each student separately!... Apparently that did not last... Sigh...

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beretta Dave wrote:
SurfPerch wrote:

Dave, Thanks for linking your review of FAS. These classes are not at all cheap. I’d be seriously ticked off if turned out to be a huge let down, especially after driving all those hours and paying that kind of money. The last minute brass fee seems indicative of a place that only cares about to money.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've taken quite a few classes at FAS and always had a great outcome. Sorry to hear about Beretta Dave's experience there. I used to live in Oly/Tumwater so was an easy day trip for me at the time. Real bummer if you have to drive a distance and get local accommodations if the class is less than stellar. I took the full run of shottie classes there as well as quite a few pistol classes.

I think we also have a forum member here who runs classes in Southern Washington state near the Columbia River gorge on the east side. His training classes have always had good reviews on the forum though I can't remember his forum handle now.

A weekend class there might be a nice trip combined with a day or two relaxing in Hood River and a long circle back to the Seattle metro.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]