Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 TCB can kiss his AZ - Rocket's Kentucky thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess it's time to start a thread about where I moved to. Fight Club rules be damned...

Since getting here we've had several friends visit. It's been fun to show people around and rediscover the state I left almost 20 years ago. The one place we take just about everyone to is the Red River Gorge, part of the Daniel Boone National Forest. It's about an hour away and has miles of hiking trails and some of the best rock climbing in the world. I started climbing there in the early 90s, before the word got out. Back then the locals didn't care much for outsiders, now they seem to have embraced tourism as a main source of revenue

Last edited by RocketScott on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rock climbing in the area is predominately on sandstone (there's plenty of limestone but it's mostly chossy), corbin sandstone to be more precise. It's not like the sandstone out west, much harder and has a lot more character to it: iron oxide layers, quartz pebbles, and water formed pockets and arches

ImageImage

Last edited by RocketScott on Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting back into rock climbing after 20 years really sucks

Especially since I'm old and fat

ImageImage

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the limestone isn't good for climbing it makes for excellent caves. The upper sandstone layer protects it somewhat, but where water gets through the limestone is slowly dissolved and passages form. Stoic and his wife came a couple weeks ago and we went to Mammoth Cave for a tour

ImageImage

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great photos Rocket!

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'bout time there was a Kentucky thread!

Hiking in OK generally sucks.

But there is generally not the wildlife from the cities to deal with.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:
But there is generally not the wildlife from the cities to deal with.

The worst part about Kentucky is all the people from Ohio

Apparently there's nothing to do in Ohio, I know this because they all come down to Kentucky on the weekends

Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lived in Hazard KY for a little bit back in the mid 80's. Job applicants brought their kids with them to fill out the application because they couldn't read or write. The job required reading and writing.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:52 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks really beautiful, Scott.

I don't think I've ever been to Kentucky . . . if I did, it was just a blast through on the highway when I was young. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:56 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

How fun!! I didn't even realize there were other things to do in KY besides distilleries! (And horseracing...)

Now I definitely need to make another trip. Enjoy!

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way cool, Scott!
I grew up in rural MD and the diciduous forests are similar.

Had family in Lo'ville. Been to the Mammoth caves ( I remember, before PC culture altered everything) you could see *Injun Joe's butt poking out from under a boulder...

*I may be misremembering his name, but I'm certain it was equally "offensive". The person whose mummified remains have since been removed was a native American gypsum miner. "Joe" became so trapped when he overeagerly dug at a pocket of gypsum which, unfortunately, supported the boulder he had busily undermined.

Congrats on the move. Hope to see more posts.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful country back that way! We looked at moving to KY before we bought the place in MT. Love the Fall/Spring seasons there

Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great pic scott,

wish I had time to stop and visit the state instead of driving thru long time ago

Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
That looks really beautiful, Scott.

I don't think I've ever been to Kentucky . . . if I did, it was just a blast through on the highway when I was young. I'm pretty sure I'm missing out.

Believe me Steve you have not missed a thing especially in the spring, summer and fall due to the heat and humidity Good Lawdy it is stifling at times.
I went through basic training and AIT in the US Army there at Fort Knox (1977) and I will tell you this. on two of the force marche to Agony and Heartbreak w/60# packs. I came this close >•< to actual heat exhaustion (yes I was hydrated) and that was in April and May. icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Western Kentucky got hit hard last night

Multiple tornadoes went through Mayfield and Bowling Green. A candle factory in Mayfield collapsed with over 100 workers inside. So far two dozen are confirmed dead. Hopefully they find more survivors as they pick through the wreckage

The friends in the area that I've heard from are ok, lots of roof damage. I'm getting the boom truck sorted out in case I need to go down there and help

Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next