Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 EDC knife and Taser recommendation? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bigbearbear wrote:
BTW I ordered a Benchmade Bugout for my EDC knife, looking into pepper spray now.

The bugout is a nice knife. As for pepper spray, make sure to look at the % of MC - the higher the more effective (over 1%) and stream is better than spray. POM is a good choice, the delivery system uses the spring loaded flip top and the MC is 1.4%.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:29 pm

bigbearbear wrote:
BTW I ordered a Benchmade Bugout for my EDC knife, looking into pepper spray now.

The Bugout is a nice knife. Incredibly durable, way more than many think it is at first feel. I'm hoping one of the local dealers will be getting the aluminum handled version with the higher grade steel sometime so I can see if I want one. I mean I want one, but not sure if I want to pay the price for it.

With OC there are still two types of percentages being used. The older (usually 5% or 10%) that is just how much pepper is in the solution, and the newer that actually measure the amount of Major Capsacinoids. To measure this requires more expensive equipment so many of the fly by night companies don't bother and just throw out numbers. Most commercial stuff (some UDAP, Mace, Sabre and Sabre Red) will be 1.34%. UDAP also makes a 3% that is pretty damn hot. The only place I've found the smaller 1.5oz "Jogger Fogger" size is at Sportsman's Warehouse.
SHU or Scolville Heat Units was based on taste testing by a panel. It gives an idea of the hotness.

Stream, cone, mist, or coarse fog.. or gel or foam are all argued and each has plusses and minuses. The small keyring sized ones will usually be a stream though.
Stream is great in the wind, and easier to get onto just one person. But you have to aim it more carefully to get it in their eyes.
Gel and foam are similar but also can just block the vision because they are well a gel or foam. However, there are more failures with those than the liquid versions. They are the best for indoor use though as cross contamination is greatly reduced.
A cone comes out like a cone, easier to hit and some will be inhaled, but usually less range and more blown by the wind. Mist and coarse fog are similar.
I like the coarse fog if I have a choice because I like the balance of ease of use, how it can get in the nose and mouth more against it being blown by the wind.

Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 pm

The Benchmade Bugout arrived today, I'm surprised how compact and light it is, from the pictures and videos on youtube I've always thought it'll be a heavier knife.

Now all I have to do is learn how to flick the knife open like a badass without cutting myself and I'll be all set for the blade department. :bruce:

Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
bigbearbear wrote:

The Bugout is a nice knife. Incredibly durable, way more than many think it is at first feel. I'm hoping one of the local dealers will be getting the aluminum handled version with the higher grade steel sometime so I can see if I want one. I mean I want one, but not sure if I want to pay the price for it.

With OC there are still two types of percentages being used. The older (usually 5% or 10%) that is just how much pepper is in the solution, and the newer that actually measure the amount of Major Capsacinoids. To measure this requires more expensive equipment so many of the fly by night companies don't bother and just throw out numbers. Most commercial stuff (some UDAP, Mace, Sabre and Sabre Red) will be 1.34%. UDAP also makes a 3% that is pretty damn hot. The only place I've found the smaller 1.5oz "Jogger Fogger" size is at Sportsman's Warehouse.
SHU or Scolville Heat Units was based on taste testing by a panel. It gives an idea of the hotness.

Stream, cone, mist, or coarse fog.. or gel or foam are all argued and each has plusses and minuses. The small keyring sized ones will usually be a stream though.
Stream is great in the wind, and easier to get onto just one person. But you have to aim it more carefully to get it in their eyes.
Gel and foam are similar but also can just block the vision because they are well a gel or foam. However, there are more failures with those than the liquid versions. They are the best for indoor use though as cross contamination is greatly reduced.
A cone comes out like a cone, easier to hit and some will be inhaled, but usually less range and more blown by the wind. Mist and coarse fog are similar.
I like the coarse fog if I have a choice because I like the balance of ease of use, how it can get in the nose and mouth more against it being blown by the wind.

You don't always say a lot but I always look forward to your posts as you research your shit and know what you're talking about.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big +1 to what TW said. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3