Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Thinking about an iPhone... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently using a Samsung S10e. I've always used Android phones, always.
But now I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 11.

I'm not making this into a 9mm vs 45acp debate, so let's not go there.
What I'm looking for is real life advice on the UI. (tech specs be damned)

How's the learning curve?
Are there lots of "special" tricks to use the 11?
Will I end up in a rubber room in a straight jacket trying to figure it out or is it simple enough that I can master it?

Thanks for any help and of course all the fun snide comments that USrifle can throw at me. :wink05:

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've had iPhones since 2009, I believe. I had an Android phone for work at one point, and I hated it.

We've all heard tons of stories and opinions, many just the opposite of what I stated above.

My conclusion: I don't know which one is better if you're an infant and just starting out, but once you've chosen a side, stick with it. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For sheer usability, the iPhone wins. Since Apple owns the hardware and software and doesn't have to support a bunch of platforms they keep it running pretty well - not that they don't have issues from time to time - it is just a computer after all.

Other than forgetting what you know about Android, there isn't much of a learning curve. It works like you expect it should - mostly.

I've had both, definitely prefer the iPhone. I'm not a gamer, though, I need it for my work and productivity. I can't comment on the game environments.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was avid android/windows anti apple guy back in the day when I thought it mattered. Now I lean towards apples because of the simplicity of it and the last few Samsung’s my parents got were riddled with ads and impossible to fix broken screens..
The apples are very straight forward once you learn the icons and gestures of the phone you are using. I cant comment on the newer ones but this iPhone X I have had for 5 years and swapped 3 screens onto has been great. The newer Samsung S phones with the curved screens are a PITA to swap compared to the iPhone, if that matters to you.

I initially switched because I was the only person without an apple and I wanted to FaceTime the kids when I used to travel for work. Lol I think I did it twice and it wasn’t as amazing as I imagined. Now I can’t stand when people face time me.

My wife is using an iPhone SE 2 and refuses to get something newer because she likes the thumb reader/home bottom. Thankfully they are inexpensive comparably to the new ones so I have new just waiting that one to give up ghost.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Android is more compatible across electronic platforms. Not a fan of the IPhone I've had the last 6 months. Really quirky compared to the androids I've owned over the last 10 years. YMMV.

Divided we fall.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I have both(many of each). I have used the iPhone as my primary since the launch. I switched to Android as my primary in early 2020. iPhone is more user friendly, speedier with most functions and has less "issues"(apps hanging, keyboard not popping up, transition between apps, multiple functions at once not slowing things down) than the android. But it really comes down to which android you have. S21 is one of the best on the market and has 5G. iPhone 11 doesn't have 5G. SO if you are going to upgrade, upgrade to the iPhone 13. It will give you 5G and last much longer than the iPhone 11. Or stay with Android and upgrade to the S21(Ultra or +).

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had iPhones ever since switching from Nextel (there's a throwback). I think the 3G was my first, then a 4, and the 7 which I have now. I'm not one to switch out phones every time a new one comes out, although I did get the 7 when they came out because I needed a new phone right then and the 7 is waterproof but the 6 was not. It's been great although I can tell the battery is getting a little worn down

Mom's LG stylo 4 just crapped out a couple days ago. It's not even a year and a half old. From what I can tell it tried to do a software update overnight and got stuck in fastboot mode. No easy fix so she just had to go buy a new samsung. LG is getting out of the mobile phone market. I can see why, the phone sucked. It wouldn't last all day without a charge

wilmermj wrote:
My wife is using an iPhone SE 2 and refuses to get something newer because she likes the thumb reader/home bottom. Thankfully they are inexpensive comparably to the new ones so I have new just waiting that one to give up ghost.

I read somewhere that they are about to come out with the SE 3 in the spring. I think I might get that or an 11

Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gaming - no need for either one - pro/con cancel each other.

Quote:
Samsung S phones with the curved screens
I forgot about why I don't like my S10 as much as I did my older Samsungs. Thanks for reminding me. +1 for Apple

I also forgot to mention that Samsung pretty much only gives updates to their Flag Ship phones. In which case my phone is on it's last leg. +1 for Apple

So far getting good feedback, thanks.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 am

BadKarma wrote:
Or stay with Android and upgrade to the S21(Ultra or +).

Another option would be to move to a different Android based phone. Samsung heavily customizes their version of Android so you get their assistant and apps. Check out the Google Pixel line, I got the 6 when it launched a couple of months back and I've been happy with it. Both of my kids have Pixel 2XL's that I bought used and they're we've had them both for about 3 years and are still going strong. I did have the battery replaced in one of them though.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

crApple iphones have sealed internal batteries and they've already been caught secretly sending software updates to slow down phone performance as the battery gets older so it will stretch battery life and people won't be as angry because it costs an arm and a leg to get them to change the battery out. They had to pay a settlement when they got caught doing this and were sued.
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/93626884 ... -slowdowns

Their encryption is also fake. Your info will be just as vulnerable to the gov or Chinese as any droid.

I recommend getting a phone with a removable battery like an Lg V20 or if you want a new one that's also hardened and badass the Samsung Xcover FieldPRO was just released and is primarily for first responders and construction workers but anyone can buy it, has a removable battery, physical buttons and can be dropped from buildings and still work.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I've had iPhones since 2009, I believe. I had an Android phone for work at one point, and I hated it.

We've all heard tons of stories and opinions, many just the opposite of what I stated above.

My conclusion: I don't know which one is better if you're an infant and just starting out, but once you've chosen a side, stick with it. thumbsup

:thumbsup2: Based on my experience and that of other's I know, I think that's a really practical conclusion. Dance with the one that brought you.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a die-hard Samsung Galaxy Note/Flagship user for many years. I ended up switching to the iPhone XS Max due to security requirements at a past employer. iPhone just works and you really don't have to think about it much. Fewer options for users to tweak, but also fewer things to go wrong since Apple owns the whole ecosystem. I'm impressed with how long Apple will support one of their devices. Samsung seems to pay attention for about a year and then they seem to forget that they ever made the thing and they've got some new device to sell you.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gman wrote:
I'm impressed with how long Apple will support one of their devices. Samsung seems to pay attention for about a year and then they seem to forget that they ever made the thing and they've got some new device to sell you.

I did mention that and that really is one BIG reason I've been thinking about switching to iPhone.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At one point I was really big on removable batteries since they wore out quicker and gave the option of having a spare on-hand when you're running low on power.

These days, I'll take a sealed battery and waterproofed phone over a swappable battery. I almost never run out of juice in a day. My XS Max still has 91% of its original capacity.

Here's what you would pay for a battery replacement on an iPhone: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair ... tery-power

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Good point. iPhone battery life is significantly greater than most Androids now. That wasn't always the case. And I'm only getting close to the same battery life on a S21+.

Most androids have an 18-month life cycle. iPhone is 2 years+.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next